This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 95th Season of Hockey- Michigan Tech Huskies 2015-2016 - Thread #1

I have a feeling this is going to be a long season, and not in a good way. We have got to stop taking stupid penalties, it's going to kill us every time.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Much needed win tonight, looked a lot better.

Mel's interview:
      Played much better, need that effort all the time
      Have to take advantage of home games
      Great crowd, thanks to them, really helps our team
      Lost another center early, Neville, have to suck it up, Blacklock/Eick/Luchhini center
      Not sure on Neville, get evaluated tomorrow
      Anderson, L'Esperance, Vallies, all came in and had a good game, Davis best game in long time, some injuries need depth
      Davis good with the puck, cares about MTU, that's why he came back, good bounce back game for him
      Jamie had a couple big stops too

Comment

I think some people were perhaps a bit too quick to dismiss what last year's seniors did for this team in the locker room and at practices.

We'll be fine, we just need to get through this early stretch. The really crappy thing about any injuries is that we have no bye weeks until Christmas, so we'll have to lean hard on our depth to let guys heal.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          I think some people were perhaps a bit too quick to dismiss what last year's seniors did for this team.
          I had the same comment after period 1. We really miss those guys, they set the tone for sure. Petan, Heinonen, and others need to give a consistent example of work ethic for the new guys to follow.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Interesting weekend, the games were exact mirror images of each other basically. When we play with heart and urgency like we did tonight we can be a **** good team, when we phone it in like last night we're a pretty **** bad team, hopefully we'll see more of the former than the latter as the season progresses.

I've thought we would have somewhat of a hangover year this year, definitely down from last year, the biggest thing I want to see is a winning season, even 1 or 2 games over .500 would give us our first back to back winning seasons since the 81-82 and 82-83 seasons. I think that is a very important step for this program.

Comment

I think the team will be fine. It is too early in the season to be hitting the panic button. I think things will sort themselves out. We have a good nucleus of players. They played hard tonight and the game was the exact opposite of how they played Friday. Gotta win our home games.
              MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
              2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                [Kero jersey] and I'm sure you'll buy it when it is made available for purchase...
                I would like too, but I doubt I will get one. Rockford has crazy fans. His PRACTICE jersey from last spring (and he played what, 2-3 weeks?) went for $200 on Ebay from the team. Cue the Iverson clip... "Practice?!? Practice? We auctionin' a jersey from... PRACTICE, not a game, but PRACTICE..."
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/181817729557

I can easily see his game jerseys for $400+, which is way out of my league. I'm all for snagging up the Tech alumni jerseys, but sometimes I have have to say no. Andy Sutton played more than a dozen years in the NHL and you can get some of his NHL jerseys for $250 or less. Minor league fans are crazy in general... especially during auctions.
                Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

You guys really need to settle down, we've play 4 games and there were 4-game stretches last year that were worse or at least similar. You can never underestimate a rivalry weekend and Ferris is not an easy place to play.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    You guys really need to settle down, we've play 4 games and there were 4-game stretches last year that were worse or at least similar. You can never underestimate a rivalry weekend and Ferris is not an easy place to play.
                    I think the home-home split just shows how much home ice matters, especially in this series when NMU has the olympic sheet and we have an NHL sheet,

Comment

well yes to all and... Vallis was pretty good last night. His defensive and checking game could improve, but I like his skill with the puck and we need the scoring imho. Patrick Anderson.. also pretty good. did the dirty work needed.

The team as a whole played a lot better defensively, though all the breakaways we gave up are concerning.The forwards came back a lot better and the defense got the puck out quickly instead of holding it and being caught. (I thought NMU's pressuring the puck so much in the first game gave us a lot of problems and I think we will see a lot of teams do that going forward, especially when we are on the pp.)
                      I'd like to see our pk be better.
                      I do see a number of guys upping their game vs last year. Heinonen is better, Baltus is better, Eick is better, L'Esperance too.... Among others.
                      Overall, reasons to be optimistic, but the league as a whole is better and it will be tougher to win.The non conference games are bigger and bigger.
                      We absolutely have to stay out of the box. We can grind teams down, but only if we are not on special teams all night.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        well yes to all and... Vallis was pretty good last night. His defensive and checking game could improve, but I like his skill with the puck and we need the scoring imho. Patrick Anderson.. also pretty good. did the dirty work needed.

The team as a whole played a lot better defensively, though all the breakaways we gave up are concerning.The forwards came back a lot better and the defense got the puck out quickly instead of holding it and being caught. (I thought NMU's pressuring the puck so much in the first game gave us a lot of problems and I think we will see a lot of teams do that going forward, especially when we are on the pp.)
                        I'd like to see our pk be better.
                        I do see a number of guys upping their game vs last year. Heinonen is better, Baltus is better, Eick is better, L'Esperance too.... Among others.
                        Overall, reasons to be optimistic, but the league as a whole is better and it will be tougher to win.The non conference games are bigger and bigger.
                        We absolutely have to stay out of the box. We can grind teams down, but only if we are not on special teams all night.
                        I agree, the two biggest concerns I see are yours as well, the amount of breakaways we give up and our penalty issues. Penalty issues should be something we can overcome, just need to be more disciplined out there and not retaliate for things. The breakaways will come with time I think, just as players become more positionally and situationally aware as they gain experience. Overall the freshman already look really good and the sophomores are all showing improvement too, so hopefully we can put it together and have another successful season.

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                          I agree, the two biggest concerns I see are yours as well, the amount of breakaways we give up and our penalty issues. Penalty issues should be something we can overcome, just need to be more disciplined out there and not retaliate for things. The breakaways will come with time I think, just as players become more positionally and situationally aware as they gain experience. Overall the freshman already look really good and the sophomores are all showing improvement too, so hopefully we can put it together and have another successful season.
                          Hate to say it, but in a rivalry weekend some of the discipline is thrown out the window by the players because if the intensity. From what I watched, Northern had more of the chippy play in the series, and it is hard not to retaliate. We have more skill players than them
                          MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                          2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            I would like too, but I doubt I will get one. Rockford has crazy fans. His PRACTICE jersey from last spring (and he played what, 2-3 weeks?) went for $200 on Ebay from the team. Cue the Iverson clip... "Practice?!? Practice? We auctionin' a jersey from... PRACTICE, not a game, but PRACTICE..."
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/181817729557

I can easily see his game jerseys for $400+, which is way out of my league. I'm all for snagging up the Tech alumni jerseys, but sometimes I have have to say no. Andy Sutton played more than a dozen years in the NHL and you can get some of his NHL jerseys for $250 or less. Minor league fans are crazy in general... especially during auctions.
                            Ryan J
                            Minor League fans be crazy is right. Rockford fans have been eating up the specialty jerseys lately. They do live auctions of the specialty jerseys, and last year their Autism Awareness jerseys totalled over $70,000. (Avg 3k each). Chicago Wolves specialty jerseys once were more popular than Rockfords currently, but have become "reasonable" at $500/ea on average.

Speaking of the Wolves, they do two specialty jerseys a year, one being their annual St. Patrick jerseys and the other a themed specialty jersey. This year is Armed Forces (again). They've done two desert camo patterns and one winter digital camo pattern in the past (I believe Clay Wilson wore a digital camo one). I can keep y'all informed when the Wolves silent auctions will be if anyone wants Pheonix Copley's jersey. Be warned, specialty Wolves goalie jerseys usually *open* bidding at 1k. (Skaters average $500 and up for more popular guys)

Also, Rockford auctions their third jerseys on EBay, and also has an in arena raffle of jerseys throughout the season.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Minor league auctions are generally a no-fly zone for me. The prices are beyond what I will pay because I'll never see that kind of money if I try to sell it. Most folks who buy in those auctions either don't care what they pay, they just want the jersey (example: Puck Bunnies) or they have no idea what the resale market is for minor league pro jerseys (example: Dr Smith or Lawyer Jones or Mr Duckworth who wants one to frame in their office).

Plenty of long standing jersey collectors get a private chuckle every time someone new comes on a collector forum trying to sell their $1,000 jersey for ONLY $900 because they need the money. Then they get offended when they get offers of $200-$250 for the jersey. "But I paid $1,000 for this at the auction last year..." Yes, you did. Much like a $20,000 car is worth $15,000 the minute you drive it off the lot the jersey devalues to near market price the minute you buy it.

I actually wan't aware that Copley was now in the Chicago market. Pretty much the only way I'm getting one of his Wolves jersey would be to trade a fan for one of his Tech jerseys.

Ryan J
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Tanner Kero AHL player of the week

http://www.wre*****/story/30355515/2...he-week-honors

Comment

Working...
                                X