X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 95th Season of Hockey- Michigan Tech Huskies 2015-2016 - Thread #1

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    The BGSU coach asked for the review of the play. Regarding the lines, the best way to describe it is that the full with of the line is considered part of the zone you are in / leaving (the width of the lines plus almost one puck width is considered the current zone of play). So in the case of an offsides call other players can't enter the offensive zone as soon as the puck touches the blue line, it has to completely enter the zone before any other player can be fully across the blue line*. In other words the edge of the blue line closest to the goal is really the determining point for entering the zone. It should be noted that ANY portion of the non-puck carrying player's body in contact with the blue line (dragging a skate behind you for example) allows you to still be considered in the neutral zone and onside EVEN IF YOU ARE AHEAD OF THE PUCK CARRIER OR THE PUCK. Contact must be maintained with the ice however because if the skate is ABOVE the ice in the exact same position the player is now considered to be in the offensive zone and is off sides.

Once the puck is in the O-zone, it must completely cross back into the neutral zone before it is considered to have left the O-zone. In this case the edge of the blue line closest to center ice is the determining point. You'll see this on power plays frequently when a player works across the blueline or tries to hold the puck in the zone. Even if 95% of the puck crosses the blueline back into the neutral zone, if ANY part of the puck is still touching the blueline, the puck is still considered in the O-zone and play remains on side. The same is true for scoring a goal. A goal is not scored until the entire puck completely crosses the backside goal line.

* Actually the player who possesses the puck can completely enter the offensive zone before the puck but I rarely see this allowed with any kind of room for error. In theory you can skate backwards down the ice and your body can enter the zone before the puck. However with most refs if there is anything less than complete control of the puck on the stick, they're going to call you offsides.

Ryan J
    There are two angles. One shows Eick taking the puck across the blue line and the puck is completely across the line as his left skate comes off the ice in stride. The other angle shows Heinonen dragging his skate on the blue line when you see Eick's left skate come off the ice in stride. It was close but the linesman ruled onside and the video showed the same. I didn't hear Mel say horse-manure but if he gets a fine we should pay it for him. I'm happy he didn't kill anyone.

Oh- at the end of the day we didn't lose because of the call. We lost because we took a lot of dumb penalties. The boys need to move on and learn to stop being stupid and expecting to get coin flip calls to bail their butts out.

Comment

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
      There are two angles. One shows Eick taking the puck across the blue line and the puck is completely across the line as his left skate comes off the ice in stride. The other angle shows Heinonen dragging his skate on the blue line when you see Eick's left skate come off the ice in stride. It was close but the linesman ruled onside and the video showed the same. I didn't hear Mel say horse-manure but if he gets a fine we should pay it for him. I'm happy he didn't kill anyone.

Oh- at the end of the day we didn't lose because of the call. We lost because we took a lot of dumb penalties. The boys need to move on and learn to stop being stupid and expecting to get coin flip calls to bail their butts out.
      The position of Eick's skate has no bearing on Heinonen being offside. And they can't call Eick offside if he is in possession of the puck.

Comment

Let's move on to the next series. If you're thinking about coming to East Lansing, how about two free tickets to Saturday night's game?

Go to this link:
        http://ev9.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomme...DAT=&caller=PR

When prompted, enter the promotional code MSUFCU_MSU

Select 2 for your number of tickets. When you check out you'll have to register with the MSU Ticket Office, unless you've ordered tickets from them before.

FYI, the "visitor" sections at Munn are E, F, G, and H. There will be plenty of open spaces in the building since most in town will be glued to the football game on Saturday. A Tech takeover is entirely possible and it would be glorious.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
          The position of Eick's skate has no bearing on Heinonen being offside. And they can't call Eick offside if he is in possession of the puck.
          Correct. I think a visual will help clarify the issue.
          Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

So back to the authentic jersey order.
            Everyone should have their jerseys now, or their proxy should have them.

Going forward, if ANYONE has any interest in an authentic MTU hockey jersey, please let me know and I will put you on a list. Once I get 25 people interested in a specific color, I will follow up, collect money and order (if MTU will let me at that time).

Thanks everyone who participated.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post

Going forward, if ANYONE has any interest in an authentic MTU hockey jersey, please let me know and I will put you on a list. Once I get 25 people interested in a specific color, I will follow up, collect money and order (if MTU will let me at that time).

Got mine this weekend as I was back up at home. They look great!
              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                Correct. I think a visual will help clarify the issue.
                Ryan J

Actually the puck just needs to enter the vanilla side to the player entering the chocolate side.

Comment

HN's came on Saturday. Looks great. Just in time for this weekend's games.
                  Thanks, Shirtless!
                  I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                    Got mine this weekend as I was back up at home. They look great!
                    David get his too?
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                      One video shows Eick taking the puck across the blue line. The other shows both skaters, with the puck obscured behind Eick's body. When you compare the two, you can determine where Heinonen was when the puck crossed the blue line. Yes, Eick's skate doesn't mean anything by itself. Eick's skate is used as a temporal point of reference. Transfer that information to the other video and Heinonen is clearly onside.

Comment

This week's clues that polls are worthless:

QU gets "Tech'ed" with a #3 ranking as the only undefeated and untied team in the country (10-0-0), Duluth at #17 with a total of THREE wins after ELEVEN games, and some dip sticks are STILL putting Minnesota and Wisconsin on the top 20 ballots with their losing records two months into the season.
                        "But they're MN and WI... they're big programs, they have to be good..."

Ryan J

Comment

One video shows Eick taking the puck across the blue line. The other shows both skaters, with the puck obscured behind Eick's body. When you compare the two, you can determine where Heinonen was when the puck crossed the blue line. Yes, Eick's skate doesn't mean anything by itself. Eick's skate is used as a temporal point of reference. Transfer that information to the other video and Heinonen is clearly onside.
                          What other angle are you talking about? I never saw a 2nd angle and I'm not sure that I ever saw the refs looking at another angle. Personally, I think its too close to call and the goal should have stood, especially when the linesman was in perfect position...

Comment

What other angle are you talking about? I never saw a 2nd angle and I'm not sure that I ever saw the refs looking at another angle. Personally, I think its too close to call and the goal should have stood, especially when the linesman was in perfect position...
                            The athletic department shared two angles on their highlight video. They even slowed them down. That seems a little strange for a highlight video, unless you got screwed and you want your fan base to see!

Comment

The athletic department shared two angles on their highlight video. They even slowed them down. That seems a little strange for a highlight video, unless you got screwed and you want your fan base to see!
                              Where? I only saw this one:
                              https://twitter.com/mtuhky/status/665736580972290048

Comment

There is a second camera angle pretty much right down the blue line, however #27 is not visible in that camera shot at all.
                                Here is the second angle clip from the highlights package:
                                https://youtu.be/UE12edlw4jY?t=1m47s

Ryan J

Comment

Working...
                                X