This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 95th Season of Hockey- Michigan Tech Huskies 2015-2016 - Thread #1

Zach is new to announcing, but he's learning. He'll be miles better when you hear him next year. Hopefully the rest of the broadcast will have similarly improved, but I doubt that given that our AD doesn't want to spend any more money than the minimum on it.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      I thought the guy was great. Tried real hard and made every effort to give a good account of the game.
      I loved when he said Gould couldn't find anything useful to do with the puck.
      He's light years ahead of the idiot last year. Sounds like it's his first gig doing it too. I'm guessing he may have some football experience as tossed in a lot of football terms. False starts and driving in the zone It was a unique touch. Southern Charm I'll call it. I told Geoff this on twitter... but he just needs to go talk to the away crew before the game, say hello, and run down the names. I'm sure Dirk would love to help out. And if you're going to pick a way to say the name you don't know... just run with it. Don't sound it out on the air
      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

I'll be real happy if the PA announcer in the rink doesn't call us Michigan State again tonight.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I still maintain that these refs are just about the worst I have seen. The UAH player definitely deserved a 2 minute checking form behind but not a 5 and misconduct. The linesmen also have no clue how to drop the puck on faceoffs, there should not be that many false starts or players being kicked out of the circle ever, just a terrible terrible officiating crew.
          2005-2006: 7-25-6
          2006-2007: 18-17-5
          2007-2008: 14-20-5
          2008-2009: 6-25-7
          2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Through four periods so far and the UAH broadcast does produce some great one liners.
            "The ref blew the play dead... which is his right..."
            "He's one of the captains..." (the line isn't funny, only the frequency of use)
            "One of the few seniors on this team and there are not many of them..."
            "Alex PET-in"
            "Joel Less-parents"
            "McHugh with the 77th slashing penalty of this series..."

There were so many, a lot of them have already left my head to make room for new ones. I may have to watch the games again just so I can write some of them down. Feel free to add your favorite to the list.
            Ryan J
            Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 11-07-2015, 08:38 PM.
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Too many penalties there in the second period.

Comment

Wow, horrendous, terrible etc aren't even close to strong enough for how bad this officiating crew is.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  Through four periods so far and the UAH broadcast does produce some great one liners.
                  "The ref blew the play dead... which is his right..."
                  "He's one of the captains..." (the line isn't funny, only the frequency of use)
                  "One of the few seniors on this team and there are not many of them..."
                  "Alex PET-in"
                  "Joel Less-parents"
                  "McHugh with the 77th slashing penalty of this series..."

There were so many, a lot of them have already left my head to make room for new ones. I may have to watch the games again just so I can write some of them down. Feel free to add your favorite to the list.
                  Ryan J
                  "This microphone is really close, and I keep bumping into it".

Comment

I thought defensively we were much better, but we did have our breakdowns and the penalties absolutely killed us. We just have to be more disciplined.
                    Good that we got so many open looks offensively.
                    A win is a win but it would have been better to win by more than 1 goal, and the pp could be better.

Next week will be tough.
                    I liked how Davis played tonight and L'esperance is a beast. He just refuses to let all that hooking slow him down.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

L'Esperance kept sticking out in my mind all weekend.

I don't know why Brears got the gate. I don't know why Leibinger got it (didn't seem it to me). Roy earned his. Another Tech player elbowed Salhany right in the head to no call, but ... these refs were pretty brutal all weekend. It's funny that UAH had a guy tossed each night and it wasn't Saulnier either time.

Both of the Tech ejections happened after they went to the video or at least a conference.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        L'Esperance kept sticking out in my mind all weekend.

I don't know why Brears got the gate. I don't know why Leibinger got it (didn't seem it to me). Roy earned his. Another Tech player elbowed Salhany right in the head to no call, but ... these refs were pretty brutal all weekend. It's funny that UAH had a guy tossed each night and it wasn't Saulnier either time.

Both of the Tech ejections happened after they went to the video or at least a conference.

GFM
                        I think the only 2 ejections earned on the weekend were Roy and the one on UAH Friday, the other 2 were pretty poor calls IMO.

Comment

So not to jump ahead of the BG series, but anyone going to be in Lansing for the Tech/State series?

I'm living on the south side of Lansing, unfortunately don't have the ability to have anyone stay with me, but can definitely be of assistance for parking and drinking establishments in the area.

Also, they're having an alumni event at Pizza House before the game on Saturday, don't know if anyone is going to that.

Comment

It looks like Mel has settled in to some lines:
                            Baltus-Lucchini-Petan
                            Heinonen-Neville-Gould
                            Gillies-Eick-L'Esperance

That leaves the most played 4th line of Boeing-Blacklock-Sturos

Be interesting to see how much that shuffles when Steman is back.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

WCHA definitely doesn't have the heavy hitters it did last year. Unless someone goes on a tear, we'll be sending one team to the NCAAs this season. Along those lines, it's really apparent how much Kero, Pietila and Johnstone brought to the team. I think their two-way play was a big factor in letting our defense shine last season. That said, I think our team has a tremendous amount of talent this season and I'm confident they'll gel before too long. We may not get any 40 point guys, but we have a very deep middle tier with no bench warmers. This coming weekend will be an important indicator of whether we can play disciplined hockey and maintain a standard of play.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                                WCHA definitely doesn't have the heavy hitters it did last year. Unless someone goes on a tear, we'll be sending one team to the NCAAs this season. Along those lines, it's really apparent how much Kero, Pietila and Johnstone brought to the team. I think their two-way play was a big factor in letting our defense shine last season. That said, I think our team has a tremendous amount of talent this season and I'm confident they'll gel before too long. We may not get any 40 point guys, but we have a very deep middle tier with no bench warmers. This coming weekend will be an important indicator of whether we can play disciplined hockey and maintain a standard of play.
                                I think that there will be two teams. Even in a down year, this isn't a one-bid league.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X