NMU Wildcats 2015-2016 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by noremorse1 View Post
    I also think that davyd83 should write a weekly hockey column for the Mining Journal!
    Thanks NR. And to DRD too. NMU has a great group of fans and we all appreciate the support. I try to provide a little insight where I can. Thanks for following and please follow Twitter @Wildcat_Dave and add Wildcat Dave as a Facebook Friend. I also hope to make better us of either FB live feature or Periscope next season and maybe a little Instagram as well.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: NMU Wildcats 2015-2016 Season Thread

Originally posted by noremorse1 View Post
      I also think that davyd83 should write a weekly hockey column for the Mining Journal!
      Before the arrival of Matt Wellens to the Mining Journal the coverage of all NMU athletics was nearly non existant. During Matt's time in Marquette the coverage was excellent. Now that he's gone, coverage has dropped considerably. I will say the MJ's coverage of NMU at the GLI was good though.

I understand the Mining Journal has had some major financial issues and can't be everywhere but their coverage of NMU's basketball programs in particular is rather embarrassing.

I also echo the sentiments on davyd. An excellent resource on hockey and I look forward to reading his insights. I follow him on Twitter and Periscope.

Comment

I don't understand the davyd bashing by certain fans on other posts, but to each his own.

Comment

I've been wondering about Dom Shine since the season ended. Now with Schemp leaving FSU a year early and a player from LSSU leaving early, I'm starting to worry the Cats may be next to lose a player with eligibility left. I saw a listing somewhere of the top 15 undrafted free agent prospects in college hockey and Shine was listed at #10. It was some NHL scouting thing.

Comment

The reason why I'm on this NMU Hockey forum posting stuff is because I'm born & raised in the U.P., I'm a NMU grad, I've been following NMU Hockey ever since Rick Comley started the program back in 1976-77, I go to every NMU Hockey home game at The Berry, I listen to every NMU Hockey away game on "The Point" radio, I listen to every pre-game & post-game show, I listen to all of the pre-game coaches interviews that are on before every game, I listen to all of Walt's post-game interviews when he does them, I read all the NMU Hockey articles on the NMU website, the Mining Journal and The North Wind, etc, etc, etc so I consider myself to be a devoted NMU Hockey fan and enjoy any information that I can get on the team.... Right now Dave Danis is the best source of NMU Hockey info out there because he has knowledge of developments that go on with the Wildcat players & coaches.... I'm a big fan of Dave Danis and think he's doing a great job with the NMU Hockey program as the "unofficial" team PR guy.... Keep up the good work Dave as me and my NMU Hockey buddies appreciate your work with the team....

Comment

I hope Shine doesn't leave early as that would really take the wind out of NMU's offensive sails.... He's their best player coming back.... Let's hope he stays at NMU for another year....

Comment

• Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
                Right now Dave Danis is the best source of NMU Hockey info out there because he has knowledge of developments that go on with the Wildcat players & coaches.... I'm a big fan of Dave Danis and think he's doing a great job with the NMU Hockey program as the "unofficial" team PR guy.... Keep up the good work Dave as me and my NMU Hockey buddies appreciate your work with the team....
                Agreed 100%. As fans, we are lucky to have someone like Dave. How many teams have someone as enthusiatic as he? My highlight, outside of his top notch play-by-play, is his coverage of the Cats practicing in Mystery, Alaska. That was awesome.

My only hope is that the Cats can win a WCHA championship here soon and put together a 20+ win season.

I have a sneaking suspicion this next season mighe be one to remember.
                Go Cats!

Comment

I am living proof (as is UAHstatman) that all you have to do is work at it to become someone who covers the team. The same goes for the TechHockeyGuide guys. If you want to be someone who gets info, you establish yourself a little bit as someone who cares about the team, and then you talk to Sports Information. They will gladly take the help, because they probably don't have the money to hire more people.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    I am living proof (as is UAHstatman) that all you have to do is work at it to become someone who covers the team. The same goes for the TechHockeyGuide guys. If you want to be someone who gets info, you establish yourself a little bit as someone who cares about the team, and then you talk to Sports Information. They will gladly take the help, because they probably don't have the money to hire more people.

GFM
                    NMU is a little more gunshy about allowing access like that to the team. It would take some good guys like Tech Hockey Guide has and the time and effort they spent in building up their product to get something similar. THG spent a lot of time on the sidelines, making the most of what little was available, and earned the respect of the MTU Hockey Program. Cathockey.com was doing what THG did before THG, but the support for it waned. It was one guy who started it, one of us who tried to contribute to add content, but it fizzled out after a few years.

Wellens built up great respect with the NMU Athletic Department, specifically hockey. That trust was burned by a few bloggers though when they tried to be all friendly with the hockey program, only to completely slam the university and the coaching staff at the time claiming to be "insiders." Then, that same group had the stones right after that to request CCHA Championship Media Passes through the University. Even event photography is kept mostly in-house, with media passes being tightly controlled.

There are few outside of the main media circuit that the coaching staff, athletic department, and SID trust, and for good reason. As I said, it would take a strong, consistent groundwork to build up a THG for NMU.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Here's the video clip of NMU's winning goal vs Boston University in the 1991 NCAA D1 Men's Hockey Championship game played in St. Paul, MN when NMU won (8-7) in triple OT.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbTrEugoYKQ

Comment

2015-16 NMU Hockey Seniors Who Won't be Back Next Year

F - Cohen Adair (6'1" 205lbs) - Stratford, ON
                        F - Aaron Leach (5'10" 195lbs) - Marquette, MI
                        F - Darren Nowick (5'10" 185lbs) - Long Beach, CA
                        F - Justin Rose (5'8" 170lbs) - Gibbons, AB
                        D - Barrett Kaib (5'10" 185lbs) - Pittsburg, PA
                        D - Ryan Trenz (5'11" 190lbs) - St. Louis, MO
                        G - Mathias Dahlstrom (6'0" 175lbs) - Smedjebacken, Sweden

Comment

NMU Hockey Recruits

2016-17
                          F - Darien Craighead (6'1" 170lbs) - Chilliwack (BCHL)
                          F - Brett Heikkila (5'9" 170lbs) - New Mexico (NAHL)
                          F - Collin Peters (6'0" 160lbs) - Sioux Falls (USHL)
                          F - Keegan Ward (6'2" 175lbs) - Lincoln (USHL)
                          F - Luke Voltin (6'0" 195lbs) - Penticton (BCHL)
                          F - Demico Hannoun (6'0" 195lbs) -Penticton (BCHL)
                          D - Callum Hofford (5'9" 190lbs) - Cornwall (CCHL)
                          G - Tyger Howat (6'5" 215lbs) - Coquitlam (BCHL)
                          G - Cam Burggrage (6'0" 190lbs) - Sault Ste. Marie (NOJHL)
                          C - Joseph Nardi (5'9" 160lbs) - Whitecourt (AJHL)

2017-18
                          F - Dakota Boutin (6'0" 185lbs) - Melfort (SJHL)
                          C - Casey Gilling (5'11" 170lbs) - Minnesota (NAHL)
                          D - Rylan Yaremko (6'3" 205lbs) - Kelowna (BCHL
                          D - Lucas Jaycox (6'2" 185lbs) - Lincoln (USHL)

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            NMU is a little more gunshy about allowing access like that to the team. It would take some good guys like Tech Hockey Guide has and the time and effort they spent in building up their product to get something similar. THG spent a lot of time on the sidelines, making the most of what little was available, and earned the respect of the MTU Hockey Program. Cathockey.com was doing what THG did before THG, but the support for it waned. It was one guy who started it, one of us who tried to contribute to add content, but it fizzled out after a few years.

Wellens built up great respect with the NMU Athletic Department, specifically hockey. That trust was burned by a few bloggers though when they tried to be all friendly with the hockey program, only to completely slam the university and the coaching staff at the time claiming to be "insiders." Then, that same group had the stones right after that to request CCHA Championship Media Passes through the University. Even event photography is kept mostly in-house, with media passes being tightly controlled.

There are few outside of the main media circuit that the coaching staff, athletic department, and SID trust, and for good reason. As I said, it would take a strong, consistent groundwork to build up a THG for NMU.
                            Thanks for the history on that. That's really a shame.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Two more days...

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                Two more days...

Looks pretty good...so far
                                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                                X