Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU Wildcats 2015-2016 Season Thread

Originally posted by aparch View Post

NMU's opponents SOG average for this season, again excluding Huntsville, is 33.53. Adding in Huntsville drops the average a whole 1.03 SOG/gm to 32.50 SOG/gm. Oooohh. Yep, a team consistently giving up 33 SOG a game and being out-shot 3:2 on average really are the flashing neon signs advertising a "defense first" strategy. The portable turnstiles at the front door of the Berry would make better blueliners.
    Teams that pack it in around the front of their net don't give up low shot totals. Teams that actually attempt to forecheck do.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Considering the games against Huntsville was the first time NMU limited an opponents SOG to under 20 a game this season. In fact, NMU hasn't held a team not named Alabama-Huntsville or Alaska-Anchorage to less than 20 SOG/gm since Wisconsin.

October 17th.

Of 2014.

In fact, with Wisconsin's struggles, the last team NMU held to less than 20 SOG/gm not named Huntsville, Anchorage, or Wisconsin was Ferris State. February 8th and 9th. Of 2013.

NMU's opponents SOG average for this season, again excluding Huntsville, is 33.53. Adding in Huntsville drops the average a whole 1.03 SOG/gm to 32.50 SOG/gm. Oooohh. Yep, a team consistently giving up 33 SOG a game and being out-shot 3:2 on average really are the flashing neon signs advertising a "defense first" strategy. The portable turnstiles at the front door of the Berry would make better blueliners.
      There is a big difference between shots on goal and grade A scoring chances. NMU gives up plenty of shots. It does not give up a lot of Grade A's. They definitely focus on defense. NMU scores on over 10% of its shots, the best in the league. They only allow their opponents a 7.4% shooting percentage, also the best in the league. NMU has scored 4 more goals on the season on 232 fewer shots because they aren't giving up great shots. They give up a lot of shots from the perimeter than most good high school goalies could stop. Their goalies are also very adept at making nearly all the saves they should make and coming up with a few tough saves when really tested.
      Last edited by davyd83; 02-23-2016, 01:53 PM.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Since we love statistics:

Walt Kyle's 14 year career breakdown:
        2002-03 thru 2008-09 (1st seven seasons): 141-121-26 (5 20-win seasons)
        2009-10 thru current (Last seven seasons): 111-115-37 (1 20-win season and 1 NCAA tourney)
        Total: 252-236-63

Rick Comley's last 14 years at NMU:
        1988-89 thru 1994-95 (167-113-18 (6 20-win seasons, 5 NCAA tourney's, and 1 National Championship)
        1995-96 thru 2001-02 (127-122-27 (3 20-win seasons and 1 NCAA tourney)
        Total: 294-235-45

Fans have grown apathetic towards a program whose results have remained stagnant. With a product on the ice many truly do not enjoy watching. In an arena many cannot get over the fact is not ever going to be Lakeview Arena. At a University which has chased away it's major donor sources within the community. All the while having no marketing plan or presence within the community to incite/excite people to want to be there. At a time when kids are much less interested in actually socializing at an event and would rather play with **** videogames or with an Ipad. While their parents have gravitated and found other arena's/events (which Marquette is filled with these days) to spend their money, interest and time on.

Now, without getting into specifics...the old guard (longtime NMU fans) are dying off and NMU hockey does not have the standing or a long range plan currently within the community to replace them. The same goes for capturing student interest and turning it into continued support long after graduates have left the school. Hell, maybe a video replay board will put bodies in seats...

We've long heard of how terribly underfunded NMU hockey is. The same goes for our annual dose of the injury excuse (I suppose we just have bad luck and nobody else suffers through the same). Hell, some would even argue there is nothing wrong with the style of game NMU plays...quality over quantity of shots leads to victories...does it? Heck, we now play on a an even playing field with our conference foes...

Just a few observations I've gathered from walking the halls of the Berry Events Center...all the while encouraged by the recent play and possibilities for this team come tournament time and in 2016-17.

Comment

At least NMU Hockey hasn't had to resort to giving away game tickets like the NMU Men's & Women's basketball programs have now done.... A couple of NCAA Final 16 appearances will put people in the seats at The Berry and return some enthusiasm to the program.... NMU getting there only once in the past 16 seasons hasn't helped matters.... Also what about the theory that NMU playing on the bigger Olympic sized ice sheet ever since moving into The Berry has hampered their program as it's a different game playing on the bigger rink??? This has been talked about quite a bit with old-time NMU hockey fans who were regulars at Lakeview Arena watching Comley's teams play in the smaller rink....

Comment

Originally posted by MOJO View Post
            Since we love statistics:

Walt Kyle's 14 year career breakdown:
            2002-03 thru 2008-09 (1st seven seasons): 141-121-26 (5 20-win seasons)
            2009-10 thru current (Last seven seasons): 111-115-37 (1 20-win season and 1 NCAA tourney)
            Total: 252-236-63

Rick Comley's last 14 years at NMU:
            1988-89 thru 1994-95 (167-113-18 (6 20-win seasons, 5 NCAA tourney's, and 1 National Championship)
            1995-96 thru 2001-02 (127-122-27 (3 20-win seasons and 1 NCAA tourney)
            Total: 294-235-45

Fans have grown apathetic towards a program whose results have remained stagnant. With a product on the ice many truly do not enjoy watching. In an arena many cannot get over the fact is not ever going to be Lakeview Arena. At a University which has chased away it's major donor sources within the community. All the while having no marketing plan or presence within the community to incite/excite people to want to be there. At a time when kids are much less interested in actually socializing at an event and would rather play with **** videogames or with an Ipad. While their parents have gravitated and found other arena's/events (which Marquette is filled with these days) to spend their money, interest and time on.

Now, without getting into specifics...the old guard (longtime NMU fans) are dying off and NMU hockey does not have the standing or a long range plan currently within the community to replace them. The same goes for capturing student interest and turning it into continued support long after graduates have left the school. Hell, maybe a video replay board will put bodies in seats...

We've long heard of how terribly underfunded NMU hockey is. The same goes for our annual dose of the injury excuse (I suppose we just have bad luck and nobody else suffers through the same). Hell, some would even argue there is nothing wrong with the style of game NMU plays...quality over quantity of shots leads to victories...does it? Heck, we now play on a an even playing field with our conference foes...

Just a few observations I've gathered from walking the halls of the Berry Events Center...all the while encouraged by the recent play and possibilities for this team come tournament time and in 2016-17.

Leadership Vacuum from the Board down to Athletic Administration. Totally out of touch with the community and alumni over what's going on at NMU. Do they know anything about NMU and it's past athletic success? You plant potatoes, you get potatoes.
            "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

And the big 4-0 for the program is next year. And the celebration of 25 years since our lone championship.

If they're planning some big activities, now would be a good time to jump on it and promote these things.

Bookstore could make some coin by selling replica jerseys or even player t-shirts of some of the '91 team. Alumni player t-shirts (Florek, Oystrick, Santorelli) would be some good ideas.
              Trot out the '91 team to drop the puck/sign autographs pregame.
              Special designed pucks for the 40th season.
              Line up some sponsors for giveaways: Gander Mountain camo hat night in November.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Very important series this weekend for NMU at LSSU.... WCHA Playoff home ice on the line and a chance to improve Pairwise ranking.... A NMU sweep would be big!!!!!! Hopefully NMU can continue their hot streak.... I'll be tuned in to the games both nites!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My gut, backed by some math, says that NMU has a very good shot at home ice: http://blog.wchaplayoffs.com/2016/02...2-predictions/

I would be surprised if the Wildcats don't sweep LSSU, while Ferris has to tussle with BG, who has to be in desperation mode to pass both Mankato and Tech. Sure, you end up with Tech next weekend while the Bulldogs get the Lakers, but you'll take that swap.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

NMU lays an egg tonite and loses to LSSU (3-1) at Sault Ste. Marie.... NMU had a chance to remain one of the hottest teams in the country with a win as they came in wininng (7 out of last 9) but couldn't find the net tonite and are now (15-12-6) on the season....

Remaining NMU Games Before WCHA Playoffs
                    NMU @ LSSU
                    NMU @ MTU
                    MTU @ NMU

Comment

I don't think the Cat's laid any eggs tonight both teams played well. Lake State just seemed to get the breaks along with Deifel playing great. As a Laker fan I was a little nervous after giving up that late goal in the second period.
                      BLEED BLUE

Comment

• Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                        I don't think the Cat's laid any eggs tonight both teams played well. Lake State just seemed to get the breaks along with Deifel playing great. As a Laker fan I was a little nervous after giving up that late goal in the second period.
                        Gordie was phenomenal, especially in the second period and literally stole that one.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          Gordie was phenomenal, especially in the second period and literally stole that one.
                          I agree. Gordie was a little bit better than Dalstrom which was the difference tonight.
                          LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

It's too bad that NMU lost as they could have made a little noise nationally with a another win tonite by staying on their hot streak.... NMU was one of the hottest D1 college hockey teams in the country coming into tonite's game.... It's really too bad that they couldn't buy a goal tonite....

Shots On Goal

NMU 6 17 5 28
                            LSSU 16 10 5 31

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              My gut, backed by some math, says that NMU has a very good shot at home ice: http://blog.wchaplayoffs.com/2016/02...2-predictions/
                              I think your gut feeling was just gas passing.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Well hopefully the Lakers can help NMU out by beating Ferris State next weekend. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high cause the Lakers have sucked big time at Ewigleben the past eight years.
                                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Working...
                                X