PDA

View Full Version : Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

mookie1995
12-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Mookie didn't get no email yesterday.

I'm not positive, but I believe mookie was referencing promotional materials to students.

Both.

And rogie-- I get those notices from you. Not the school. Seems they rely on you and our other friend who has that list to keep the faithful up to date.

I'll get emails from the alumni assoc about giving $$$, so they have a way to get in touch with Mookie-- when they want :)

brassbonanza
12-10-2015, 03:48 PM
And yet...

http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/121015aaa.html

Don't get me wrong. There's much more that can be done to promote the team and boost attendance.

I should've been more clear, I meant that with respect to on-campus promotions to current students as opposed to already established season ticket holders.

Rover
12-10-2015, 03:50 PM
I keep checking those plaques on the wall of Agganis listing "Generous Benefactors" but I haven't seen mookie's name yet. Must be using an alias...:D

I think The Ghost of John Silber has taken over the athletic department. They function in the same way the university used to, which was solely for the benefit of wealthy donors at the expense of everybody else. The trick is to find a balance which the school is getting better at but the sports people are not. I half expect to hear the AD has been building mansions for assistant coaches out in Brookline...;)

Rogie21
12-10-2015, 04:01 PM
I should've been more clear, I meant that with respect to on-campus promotions to current students as opposed to already established season ticket holders.

Current students AND recent grads.

Tater
12-10-2015, 04:09 PM
And yet...

http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/121015aaa.html

Don't get me wrong. There's much more that can be done to promote the team and boost attendance.

That show on NESN sounds interesting. I wish this was being promoted before the day it debuts? :confused: Anyone know if they are doing "The Season" again? If they have clips from MSG, etc., I would venture to say yes.

Scarlet
12-10-2015, 05:36 PM
That show on NESN sounds interesting. I wish this was being promoted before the day it debuts? :confused: Anyone know if they are doing "The Season" again? If they have clips from MSG, etc., I would venture to say yes.

I was checking Twitter while waiting to board a flight this morning when I saw a tweet about it. Wish I had known so I could have programmed my DVR.

Got that email about the giveaways in 2016. I'm going to be traveling on the 23rd so someone better snag me a Drury bobble head.

mookie1995
12-10-2015, 06:40 PM
I keep checking those plaques on the wall of Agganis listing "Generous Benefactors" but I haven't seen mookie's name yet. Must be using an alias...:D
...;)

when the idiots screwed up the TLP system mookie bailed. already mentioned mookie sent a check for $25 to FOH this year to keep the consecutive years of giving in tact and that's it.

LTsatch
12-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Game is on ESPN3 Friday

mookie1995
12-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Game is on ESPN3 Friday

whata all y'all do pre-game? head to Mory's and pass cups? :D

ericredaxe
12-11-2015, 08:33 AM
I don't recall season ticket prices rising much, if at all, in 2011-12 and 2012-13, but if anyone has that information I would appreciate it. However, it seems that ticket prices are not the main factor driving the increase and decrease in attendance. Although attendance was not hurt much in 2010-11 or 2011-12 it appears clear that the team's lack of Beanpot and post season success in 2009-10 through 20112-13 took a toll on attendance. Last season's increase can be attributed to Jack Eichel, but it appears that many fans are not sold on the team being back just yet.

Sean

Looking back at my statements: The 12-13 price for the season was the same as 13-14 ($395 per season ticket). I don't know if the number of games was the same or how they balanced out the pricing between games.

I could not find anything for 11-12.

I agree that the overall performance likely is the bigger factor in attendance woes, although I'm sure the pricing did not help as it went up.

Also, I would bet that the weather had somewhat of a negative impact on attendance in late Jan and Feb last year. I know I skipped at least one game simply because I didn't want to deal with the traffic.

Rover
12-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Looking back at my statements: The 12-13 price for the season was the same as 13-14 ($395 per season ticket). I don't know if the number of games was the same or how they balanced out the pricing between games.

I could not find anything for 11-12.

I agree that the overall performance likely is the bigger factor in attendance woes, although I'm sure the pricing did not help as it went up.

Also, I would bet that the weather had somewhat of a negative impact on attendance in late Jan and Feb last year. I know I skipped at least one game simply because I didn't want to deal with the traffic.

If BU hockey was overpriced 5 years ago, and its still overpriced now, that's the problem. Woo hoo, they reduced parking on BU owned lots for a BU game even if you already have tickets to it by 2 bucks! They must really care... :rolleyes:

I should not cost double to attend a BU game than a BC one when the last time I checked they've had a bit more success in recent years up there. The problem with attendance is simple - people can find better value for their buck in a city that offers a whole lot of entertainment choices. Even if you bring in a once in a generational talent like Eichel, who will always only stay one year, it takes a little while for the buzz to get out that the kid is for real. Then once he leaves you're back to square one, charging NHL level prices for a college hockey contest.

mookie1995
12-11-2015, 10:03 AM
BU needs to charge to pay for their building (compared to say the old thing up the street). Can't leave that tidbit out of the equation

mookie1995
12-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Same way ticketmaster is on board to supply tickets to the entire catelouge of events - of which hockey may make up 8%.

Rover
12-11-2015, 10:39 AM
BU needs to charge to pay for their building (compared to say the old thing up the street). Can't leave that tidbit out of the equation

The 8 dollar beers ought to cover that. A revenue stream not available to our friends up Comm Ave.

defkit
12-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Game is on ESPN3 Friday

I've never actually watched ESPN3. Do you have to set up an account? Or do you just click on a link somewhere?

defkit
12-11-2015, 12:22 PM

They sure do, but another perspective (I know this has been brought up before and that Mookie is strong at math):

$25 * 3,750 = 93,750
$18 * 6,300 = 113,400

And no, I didn't use any attendance data from the 2,000 posts relating to attendance figures. Just making a point. As I've said many times, I would go to twice as many games if the price was more reasonable.

Nick Papagiorgio
12-11-2015, 12:33 PM
They sure do, but another perspective (I know this has been brought up before and that Mookie is strong at math):

$25 * 3,750 = 93,750
$18 * 6,300 = 113,400

And no, I didn't use any attendance data from the 2,000 posts relating to attendance figures. Just making a point. As I've said many times, I would go to twice as many games if the price was more reasonable.

Plus concessions numbers from the larger attendance increases significantly as well.

Sean Pickett
12-11-2015, 12:58 PM
If BU hockey was overpriced 5 years ago, and its still overpriced now, that's the problem. Woo hoo, they reduced parking on BU owned lots for a BU game even if you already have tickets to it by 2 bucks! They must really care... :rolleyes:

I should not cost double to attend a BU game than a BC one when the last time I checked they've had a bit more success in recent years up there. The problem with attendance is simple - people can find better value for their buck in a city that offers a whole lot of entertainment choices. Even if you bring in a once in a generational talent like Eichel, who will always only stay one year, it takes a little while for the buzz to get out that the kid is for real. Then once he leaves you're back to square one, charging NHL level prices for a college hockey contest.Comparing prices is not as simple as you state. BC has 4 games that offer their Family 4 Pack this season, only 2 which are still available, Connecticut and UMass. That offer is for 4 tickets, 4 individual pizzas and 4 Cokes for a total cost of $64 dollars. Or you can purchase 4 individual $10, $15 or $20 tickets, depending where you want to sit. Four individual tickets in the equivalent section would cost $60, so the family pack is a good deal, if you have a family of four and want to see UMass or UConn play. But what if you want to see PC play? The minimum cost for 4 upper corner (obstructed) seats is $60 or $80 for unobstructed upper center seats. And for BU the price climbs to $80 (obstructed) or $100. As also stated BC charges a flat $10 surcharge per order, which is a plus.

BU has one game left with Me+3 tickets, UMass. The offer is $15.75 per ticket, for a cost of $63 plus the facility charge ($2.50x4=$10) and service fee ($4.40x4=$17.60) for a total ticket cost of $90.60. If you park at a BU garage/lot it is another $10, but there is also free parking in the area. If you want to see the BC game the cost is $25 per ticket, for a cost of $100 plus the facility charge ($2.50x4=$10) and service fee ($4.55x4=$18.20) for a total ticket cost of $128.20.

So while if you want to see UMass I agree that the BC family pack could be close to double the BU 4 pack and food, but the tickets to the BU/BC game are not. I also looked at the ticket prices at the other Hockey East schools and there is a wide range of ticket pricing, so it is not possible to make generalizations as most schools offer special pricing for some games, some youth prices (ages and availability vary).

For example, New Hampshire also uses Ticketmaster and their facility charge is only $1 per ticket, but the service fee is higher at $7.25 for standard $23 tickets. New Hampshire does have a limited number of general admission tickets for $14, or $10 for children 3-12, but when not available most fans have to pay the full standard ticket price. If you want to see most games at UNH the ticket cost rises to $31.25 each, or $125 for a family of 4. That is the same for BU, UML or NU (the only three I checked). On the other hand, for a non-premium game at BU the price for a family of 4 is $112 ($21 per ticket, $2.50 faculty charge and $4.50 service fee = $28 x 4).

By the way, I checked the TD Garden website and the cheapest tickets I found for a Bruins game were $95, so a family of four would cost $95x4=$380 plus service fees $10.95x4=$43.80 for a total of $423.80. That is slightly more than the $128.20 for a family of 4 going to Agganis to see the BU-BC game.

Sean

Sean Pickett
12-11-2015, 01:01 PM

$25 * 3,750 = 93,750
$18 * 6,300 = 113,400

And no, I didn't use any attendance data from the 2,000 posts relating to attendance figures. Just making a point. As I've said many times, I would go to twice as many games if the price was more reasonable.Except dropping the price will not suddenly make every game a sellout.

Sean

antioch1098
12-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Maybe you guys should be talking about your upcoming Yale and Quinnipiac match-ups in the New Haven area. This might turn out to be a tough weekend for BU.