PDA

View Full Version : Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

brassbonanza
10-31-2015, 08:10 PM
Compared to us?

Focused? Yes. Some isolated pockets of derp, but overall played two good periods against a very good team. Third period was garbage.

mookie1995
10-31-2015, 08:16 PM
Some isolated pockets of derp, but overall played two good periods against a very good team. Third period was garbage.

mookie 2nds this motion. the derp tends to draw out unfortunately though.

did #2 see the ice tonight? don't recall a lot of ice time. can anyone share details?

brassbonanza
10-31-2015, 08:20 PM
mookie 2nds this motion. the derp tends to draw out unfortunately though.

did #2 see the ice tonight? don't recall a lot of ice time. can anyone share details?

Good point, I don't remember him being out there once. My original thought was that MacLeod was perhaps scratched to give Diffley and Switzer one more shot to duke it out to stay in the lineup or to become the definitive 7th D. Seems like that's been settled though.

chickod
10-31-2015, 08:27 PM
Love the negativity. Thank you!

Two ways to look at it, I guess:

Glass Half Empty - They take too many penalties.
They take WAY too much "time off" during the game.
They don't have a killer instinct
Denver was tired after two days in less than 24 hours and a long trip and didn't get going until late
Do we have to start worrying about conditioning? I thought that BU was gassed in the 3rd period
BOTH tonight and last Tuesday night in Hartford

Glass Half Full - Denver is a GOOD team with a very good chance to make the Frozen Four (given that this is
hockey and there is a lot of luck involved in getting that far)
- BU stayed with them and even dominated for stretches
- BU is young and has a bigger upside

One would assume that the decision making will improve with experience. They have to learn that some of the things they could
get away with at a lower level they can't at this level. The coach can "say" it all he wants, but they have to learn that themselves.

<u>One caveat</u>: The days of expecting "contending" teams every year just because it says <b>Boston University</b> on the front of the sweater are over. The talent level is much higher and it exists all over the country. It is available to more schools and they are capitalizing on it. We had better get used to that. This is, by definition, a rebuilding year given the number of freshman (and the fact that most players don't stay four years anymore exacerbates that). Forgot about last year...that's over. That's why it hurts so much to have not gotten that one, because the days where we can expect to be there every year are history, as well. And for those who say that "we EXPECT it at BU," you had better get a grip on reality. Neither David Quinn or Scotty Bowman will change that. It's pure statistics. More good teams...poorer odds. And Jack Eichel is not walking through that door...and if he does, he's going to be wearing blue and gold.

Bomber
10-31-2015, 08:28 PM
looked like 800, maybe 1k

Seriously? All-time low?

ericredaxe
10-31-2015, 08:31 PM
Seriously? All-time low?

Attendance listed at 3,084.

Having the marquee OOC game of the year on Halloween was a great idea! :rolleyes:

mookie1995
10-31-2015, 08:33 PM
Attendance listed at 3,084.

Having the marquee OOC game of the year on Halloween was a great idea! :rolleyes:

at 4p :D

ericredaxe
10-31-2015, 08:35 PM
at 4p :D

1PM would have been great…. but not with Friday night games.

Tomorrow 1PM would have been the best choice given the circumstances.

Scarlet
10-31-2015, 08:44 PM
Except, you know, Denver had to get back home.

There was not 3084 there. I do think there was more than 1000 people there, though.

I do think they played better overall today than last night. Or Tuesday. Maybe the third period was garbage because they were gassed after three games in five days.

ericredaxe
10-31-2015, 09:26 PM
Except, you know, Denver had to get back home.

Because planes can't fly on Sunday afternoon. ;)

The Zlax45
10-31-2015, 11:32 PM
Because planes can't fly on Sunday afternoon. ;)

How many flights are there out of Boston at 5pm or later to Denver on a Sunday? I doubt Denver chartered

brassbonanza
11-01-2015, 01:51 AM
I would strongly disagree that this is a "rebuilding" year.

ericredaxe
11-01-2015, 01:55 AM
How many flights are there out of Boston at 5pm or later to Denver on a Sunday? I doubt Denver chartered

JetBlue flight 993 departs Boston 7:45 is at least one good option.

defkit
11-01-2015, 06:30 AM

The season really could go either way IMHO. I think the d will get it's groove back, especially when Grzelcyk is back. The questions are goaltending and how much the offense can contribute. Getting Oksanen and Ballairgeon going is certainly a step in the right direction. But I think the worst case scenario is the middle of the standings.

chickod
11-01-2015, 08:26 AM

That actually wasn't meant in a derogatory way...I was simply pointing out the reality that in today's game, EVERY year is essentially a rebuilding year. OK - so I guess we can play the game "Let's compare last year's freshmen to this year's freshmen." And if we do that, the first half of the season will be spent trying to get new players to jell and to get the freshmen playing at a level by the end of the year that is significantly higher than when they came in. I mean, let's face it, with more players leaving early (unless you're a team without draft picks or, for whatever reason, BC), how can there be continuity?

We all like to "predict" where this team will be in April, but it really depends upon how quickly experience gets turned into results on the ice, and NOBODY can predict that (if we're being honest with ourselves).

Jofa
11-01-2015, 09:36 AM

Agreed I think that is a cop out because they are young but a lot of those younger players were 10 minutes from a NC last year. And "young" usually hurts defensively the most and the d is experienced which should trump their age. How has Olsson looked, expected big things from him?

DLG
11-01-2015, 09:50 AM
Agreed I think that is a cop out because they are young but a lot of those younger players were 10 minutes from a NC last year. And "young" usually hurts defensively the most and the d is experienced which should trump their age. How has Olsson looked, expected big things from him?

Invisible- has been demoted to 4th line- We need Sophs and Juniors to step up
Greer, Olsson, Ballairgeon in particular-

brassbonanza
11-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Invisible- has been demoted to 4th line- We need Sophs and Juniors to step up
Greer, Olsson, Ballairgeon in particular-

Strongly disagree, the 4th line of Moran, Phelps, and Olsson has skated remarkably well this year, and has put some pucks in the net as well. To have a fourth line that plays physically and is a threat to put the puck in the net if you try and take a shift off is a great asset. Now, if you want to argue that Olsson was projected to be more than a fourth-liner that's one thing, but those three have done a great job together thus far.

Bomber
11-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Love the negativity. Thank you!

The fellowship of the miserable!

mookie1995
11-01-2015, 02:20 PM
The fellowship of the miserable!

copyright ricky p :D