X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    I don't think it's an issue of not getting up or taking them seriously. It isn't a lack of skill or talent, either. I think the team is just not good in the defensive zone...
    I agree. But I'm a wee bit concerned that the "Eichel" effect will percolate down. In other words, is the "skill" really as good as we think it is, or is it just that Eichel was able to 1) draw attention to himself to allow others guys more time and space and 2) set other guys up to score where now they have to "create" their own opportunities? Oksanen missed from point blank last night (not to pick on him, but I remember it clearly because it was right in front of me). I know the "shot clock" said we outshot them by a wide margin, but did it really feel that way to you? It didn't to me. I didn't think we had a lot of great opportunities, to be honest. Hence my comment from last night that I wonder where the goals are going to come from. So defensive deficiencies are magnified when you don't have the scoring to offset (mask) them.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      I agree. But I'm a wee bit concerned that the "Eichel" effect will percolate down. In other words, is the "skill" really as good as we think it is, or is it just that Eichel was able to 1) draw attention to himself to allow others guys more time and space and 2) set other guys up to score where now they have to "create" their own opportunities? Oksanen missed from point blank last night (not to pick on him, but I remember it clearly because it was right in front of me). I know the "shot clock" said we outshot them by a wide margin, but did it really feel that way to you? It didn't to me. I didn't think we had a lot of great opportunities, to be honest. Hence my comment from last night that I wonder where the goals are going to come from. So defensive deficiencies are magnified when you don't have the scoring to offset (mask) them.
      I could've written this post. Except I wouldn't say "not to pick on Ahti", because man, he needs to be picked on. I kept looking at the shot clock and was wondering how we were outshooting them as well. That was no fluke loss. They looked.....not good last night.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
        ...McAvoy has shown to be prone to mishaps in his own zone, Switzer looked totally lost at times last night, and even Hickey has been making some poor decisions.
        ...and they still take too many penalties. For a team who may be "scoring challenged," that's about the worst thing they can do. Maybe the most surprising thing (and this could be because they seemed tentative) is that they looked really SLOW at times...some of the D were like traffic cones...not moving their feet at all. I am assuming that a lot of this will improve as the season progresses...hence my other comment that we may have to wait until the second half of the season before we see the true identity of this team.

Comment

Danny and Ahti need a distributor on their line, and don't have one now
          As an outsider, I did make this similar point further back. Who is getting these guys the puck? When I have seen the two of them play they are both more goal scorer than setup guys. Also, I'm pretty sure a BIG jump was expected from someone like AJ Greer. Haven't seen him this year but zero points and a -2. What exactly does he do offensively?

Defense: A lot can depend on slotting. Once you get someone like Grizz back, it can change the dynamic of what's expected of certain guys etc. Noticed Diffley didn't play last night. Everyone seemed happy with him last year and now he is healthy scratch even when Grizz is hurt? Hard to figure. Regardless, defense was touted going into this year as a real strength for BU. Considering you didn't lose anyone back there, I'd anticipate that improving. The goal scoring? I'm not so sure on.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            As an outsider, I did make this similar point further back. Who is getting these guys the puck? When I have seen the two of them play they are both more goal scorer than setup guys. Also, I'm pretty sure a BIG jump was expected from someone like AJ Greer. Haven't seen him this year but zero points and a -2. What exactly does he do offensively?

Defense: A lot can depend on slotting. Once you get someone like Grizz back, it can change the dynamic of what's expected of certain guys etc. Noticed Diffley didn't play last night. Everyone seemed happy with him last year and now he is healthy scratch even when Grizz is hurt? Hard to figure. Regardless, defense was touted going into this year as a real strength for BU. Considering you didn't lose anyone back there, I'd anticipate that improving. The goal scoring? I'm not so sure on.
            You're right, #5 returning will help normalize the D pairings a bit. Diffley sat, I presume, to give Switzer a shot, but he proved to be not ready. I would assume once Grzelcyk is back Diffley would be the one regularly sitting, but if McAvoy continues his 1-on-5 offensive theory and lazy mistakes in his own zone, he could be riding the pine a few times as well. I think the other four are solidly in the lineup.

Greer certainly has not gotten off to a good start. He's basically done nothing. He skates well, but I don't remember a single good shot he got off or a quality scoring chance he's had. Don't know whether it's a mental thing or simply he overachieved at the end of last year.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I knew once the Letunov situation materialized that scoring would be a growing concern. His presence in the BU lineup would have enabled BU to be deeper down the middle, not to mention potentially keeping O'Regan on the wing as well as having a high-end talent on the PP. But the bigger problem is that players expected to make significant contributions on offense - Baillargeon, Greer and Greenway in particular - haven't.

I thought the D would be the least of BU's concerns given the returning talent plus McAvoy. I thought they could weather the first weeks of the season while Grzelcyk completes his recovery, but...

Comment

wait:
                1) offense struggling after losing several top scorers including a generational player
                2) while trying to fill the void with a talented but very young group of F
                3) the D is supposed to be far and away the strength of the team

that sounds awfully familiar!

*full disclosure I haven't seen BU play this year

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                  while Grzelcyk completes his recovery, but...
                  Is there any insight on when he'll return?
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Is there any insight on when he'll return?
                    Last I heard (last week) he was awaiting clearance for full physical contact. Not sure if he received that clearance yet.

Edit: Take a look at this photo https://instagram.com/p/9UG4BbAOnN/?...=terrierhockey. I spot a blue (I think "non-contact") jersey in the background; left-shot, wears clear visor instead of cage.
                    Last edited by Friend_of_BU_Hockey; 10-28-2015, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                      wait:
                      1) offense struggling after losing several top scorers including a generational player
                      2) while trying to fill the void with a talented but very young group of F
                      3) the D is supposed to be far and away the strength of the team

that sounds awfully familiar!

*full disclosure I haven't seen BU play this year

A bit of deja vu from a year ago, eh? It is a pretty accurate comparison. Despite lofty expectations, I admit I wouldn't be surprised if BU's season mirrors ends up mirroring BC's a year ago.

Comment

I admit I wouldn't be surprised if BU's season mirrors ends up mirroring BC's a year ago.
                        I would agree with this.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• [QUOTE=BU Fan 84;6214415]I know you don't know much about hockey, but Eichel had little to do with our D last year, and it was still markedly better than this year's.

Furthermore, why do you keep posting in BU threads? We know Providence won the national championship last year. We were there. That's great for them. It just seems odd that you're so into the team, considering your son wasn't good enough to play in a game. But whatever floats your boat.[/QUOTE

Eichel with puck on his stick and dominating game is best defense moron

I didn't know this was a private blog. If you don't like others on it, leave, it is a public forum, not a club
                          Last edited by Hokydad; 10-28-2015, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I would agree with this.
                            At this point, if this team makes the tournament, I'd be thrilled. I'm thinking more of a .500 team, but we'll see.

Comment

A bit of deja vu from a year ago, eh? It is a pretty accurate comparison. Despite lofty expectations, I admit I wouldn't be surprised if BU's season mirrors ends up mirroring BC's a year ago.
                              hell you can throw in a FR F who was going to be relied on for big minutes not showing up on campus as well!

Comment

if so, you better stock up on NoDoz

Comment

Working...
                                X