PDA

View Full Version : Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Friend_of_BU_Hockey
10-28-2015, 12:01 PM
As an outsider, I did make this similar point further back. Who is getting these guys the puck? When I have seen the two of them play they are both more goal scorer than setup guys. Also, I'm pretty sure a BIG jump was expected from someone like AJ Greer. Haven't seen him this year but zero points and a -2. What exactly does he do offensively?

Defense: A lot can depend on slotting. Once you get someone like Grizz back, it can change the dynamic of what's expected of certain guys etc. Noticed Diffley didn't play last night. Everyone seemed happy with him last year and now he is healthy scratch even when Grizz is hurt? Hard to figure. Regardless, defense was touted going into this year as a real strength for BU. Considering you didn't lose anyone back there, I'd anticipate that improving. The goal scoring? I'm not so sure on.

I knew once the Letunov situation materialized that scoring would be a growing concern. His presence in the BU lineup would have enabled BU to be deeper down the middle, not to mention potentially keeping O'Regan on the wing as well as having a high-end talent on the PP. But the bigger problem is that players expected to make significant contributions on offense - Baillargeon, Greer and Greenway in particular - haven't.

I thought the D would be the least of BU's concerns given the returning talent plus McAvoy. I thought they could weather the first weeks of the season while Grzelcyk completes his recovery, but...

claver2010
10-28-2015, 12:04 PM
As an outsider, I did make this similar point further back. Who is getting these guys the puck? When I have seen the two of them play they are both more goal scorer than setup guys. Also, I'm pretty sure a BIG jump was expected from someone like AJ Greer. Haven't seen him this year but zero points and a -2. What exactly does he do offensively?

Defense: A lot can depend on slotting. Once you get someone like Grizz back, it can change the dynamic of what's expected of certain guys etc. Noticed Diffley didn't play last night. Everyone seemed happy with him last year and now he is healthy scratch even when Grizz is hurt? Hard to figure. Regardless, defense was touted going into this year as a real strength for BU. Considering you didn't lose anyone back there, I'd anticipate that improving. The goal scoring? I'm not so sure on.

wait:
1) offense struggling after losing several top scorers including a generational player
2) while trying to fill the void with a talented but very young group of F
3) the D is supposed to be far and away the strength of the team

that sounds awfully familiar!

*full disclosure I haven't seen BU play this year

brassbonanza
10-28-2015, 12:06 PM
while Grzelcyk completes his recovery, but...
Is there any insight on when he'll return?

Friend_of_BU_Hockey
10-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Is there any insight on when he'll return?

Last I heard (last week) he was awaiting clearance for full physical contact. Not sure if he received that clearance yet.

Edit: Take a look at this photo https://instagram.com/p/9UG4BbAOnN/?taken-by=terrierhockey. I spot a blue (I think "non-contact") jersey in the background; left-shot, wears clear visor instead of cage.

Friend_of_BU_Hockey
10-28-2015, 12:19 PM
wait:
1) offense struggling after losing several top scorers including a generational player
2) while trying to fill the void with a talented but very young group of F
3) the D is supposed to be far and away the strength of the team

that sounds awfully familiar!

*full disclosure I haven't seen BU play this year

A bit of deja vu from a year ago, eh? ;) It is a pretty accurate comparison. Despite lofty expectations, I admit I wouldn't be surprised if BU's season mirrors ends up mirroring BC's a year ago.

brassbonanza
10-28-2015, 12:30 PM
I admit I wouldn't be surprised if BU's season mirrors ends up mirroring BC's a year ago.
I would agree with this.

Hokydad
10-28-2015, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=BU Fan 84;6214415]I know you don't know much about hockey, but Eichel had little to do with our D last year, and it was still markedly better than this year's.

Furthermore, why do you keep posting in BU threads? We know Providence won the national championship last year. We were there. That's great for them. It just seems odd that you're so into the team, considering your son wasn't good enough to play in a game. But whatever floats your boat.[/QUOTE

Eichel with puck on his stick and dominating game is best defense moron

I didn't know this was a private blog. If you don't like others on it, leave, it is a public forum, not a club

BU Fan 84
10-28-2015, 12:38 PM
I would agree with this.

At this point, if this team makes the tournament, I'd be thrilled. I'm thinking more of a .500 team, but we'll see.

claver2010
10-28-2015, 12:40 PM
A bit of deja vu from a year ago, eh? ;) It is a pretty accurate comparison. Despite lofty expectations, I admit I wouldn't be surprised if BU's season mirrors ends up mirroring BC's a year ago.

hell you can throw in a FR F who was going to be relied on for big minutes not showing up on campus as well!

sterlippo1
10-28-2015, 12:58 PM

if so, you better stock up on NoDoz

jcarter7669
10-28-2015, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=BU Fan 84;6214415]I know you don't know much about hockey, but Eichel had little to do with our D last year, and it was still markedly better than this year's.

Furthermore, why do you keep posting in BU threads? We know Providence won the national championship last year. We were there. That's great for them. It just seems odd that you're so into the team, considering your son wasn't good enough to play in a game. But whatever floats your boat.[/QUOTE

Eichel with puck on his stick and dominating game is best defense moron

I didn't know this was a private blog. If you don't like others on it, leave, it is a public forum, not a club

And you even edited that post.... :confused:

Agganis
10-28-2015, 01:11 PM
hell you can throw in a FR F who was going to be relied on for big minutes not showing up on campus as well!

Hey, at least one of our top D isn't missing a couple months in the first semester! Oh.

Also BU finishing 2nd or 3rd in HE, and making the NCAAs would be considered a successful season by me, given where this program was when Parker left (and that they wouldn't have been top 3 in the league without Eichel last year). Also seeing that the incoming classes appear to be much better than the last two non Quinn recruited classes they will be replacing and the program could easily continue to improve from that in the following years.

The only part about copying BC from last year I would be bothered by is losing in the first round of BP, HE, and NCAA tournament.

Nick Papagiorgio
10-28-2015, 01:22 PM
If you can point me in the direction of your D1.5 talent like Straight, Sit, Spiro, Smith let me know. Otherwise you are going to be ok compared to BC last year. I'm not even sure how they made the NCAAs now that I think about it - must have been a down year.

ericredaxe
10-28-2015, 01:47 PM
Also BU finishing 2nd or 3rd in HE, and making the NCAAs would be considered a successful season by me, given where this program was when Parker left .

???
They finished 2nd or 3rd in Hockey East every one of Parkers last 4 seasons with the team.

While I kind of agree with you, I'd guess most people on here would not consider a 3rd place in Hockey East, maybe make it to the garden and on the NCAA bubble (maybe in/maybe out) to be a successful season.

Rover
10-28-2015, 02:57 PM
I know you don't know much about hockey, but Eichel had little to do with our D last year, and it was still markedly better than this year's.

Furthermore, why do you keep posting in BU threads? We know Providence won the national championship last year. We were there. That's great for them. It just seems odd that you're so into the team, considering your son wasn't good enough to play in a game. But whatever floats your boat.

Providence didn't kick Hokydad out of the locker room shower the way that BU did when he was bugging Eichel so he has a soft spot for them...

Scarlet
10-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Providence didn't kick Hokydad out of the locker room shower the way that BU did when he was bugging Warsofsky so he has a soft spot for them...

Fixed your post.

UML Puck Hawk
10-28-2015, 03:07 PM
BU is not a good team, period
All Eichel last year
Back to barely above where they were before he came
I don't see PC collapsing because the supposed @team/Gillies" left. Gillies was amazing but Leaman has built a program and a team/culture
BU coddled a player for one year. But hey, both teams got to raise banners!!

I know I am late to the party here, but 2 years ago you said BC was not sustainable because of their reliance on one line, that one line, even one that dominant, could not carry a team. Yet BU's success was "All Eichel" (admittedly one of if not the most impactful player in college hockey in the past 20 years). Am I missing something (besides your ballwashing of Leaman?)

Nick Papagiorgio
10-28-2015, 03:48 PM
I know I am late to the party here, but 2 years ago you said BC was not sustainable because of their reliance on one line, that one line, even one that dominant, could not carry a team. Yet BU's success was "All Eichel" (admittedly one of if not the most impactful player in college hockey in the past 20 years). Am I missing something (besides your ballwashing of Leaman?)

Yes you are missing something. BC ran out of steam with that one line in the semis (and let's be honest they were lucky to get past your UML squad in Worcester to some degree) and didn't even get out of the QFs of HE after facing a solid defensive team in Notre Dame. BU also ran out of steam but got one round further in the NCAAs (they did have more depth than BC and no guys like Smith, Sit, Straight, Spiro, etc). Neither team won the big one. PC had a more even lineup and won with it.

I think for the most part those teams with that one crazy line are relying on a formula that does not work. See Oshie, Toews, Duncan at North Dakota. Some of the good BC teams went with Gionta, Farkas, Bellefeuille on one line for a part of the season once or two years then had good success later in the year after splitting them up - though they did fall short of the big one even after splitting them up but it wasn't because of the one big line.

Eventually that one line will get neutralized by a good checking line or have an off night and you're done. It's not a good formula in the tournament setting.

I think the differentiation between BU last year and BC two years ago was that BC was truly a one-line team and that one line was ridonkulous whereas you had a better team with BU but that one line with Eichel wasn't truly crazy on talent, it just had better production because Eichel himself was so off the charts he made those guys with him so much better.

Just my opinion.

J.D.
10-28-2015, 05:03 PM
???
They finished 2nd or 3rd in Hockey East every one of Parkers last 4 seasons with the team.

While I kind of agree with you, I'd guess most people on here would not consider a 3rd place in Hockey East, maybe make it to the garden and on the NCAA bubble (maybe in/maybe out) to be a successful season.

On planet agganis, david quinn can do no wrong! ;)

Agganis
10-29-2015, 08:35 AM
???

Valid point, but finishing 2nd or 3rd during that period, when Maine and UNH had dropped from what they once were but before ND joined and before Leaman and Bazin had built up PC and UML to what they now were is not comparable to finishing 2nd and 3rd now, to me at least.

And I wouldn't consider 3rd place, and a HE semifinal loss, and no NCAA tournament birth a success this year.