X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2015 - 2016:: Six Flags Over the HFH

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Just some stats to mull over for those of you that like this sort of thing or think that the officials have a grudge against us.
    Overall statistics per game are easy to find so here are the numbers for just games limiting the calls to the third period and Overtime (obviously a crucial part of all our games.
    All 11 games: RPI called for a total of 32 penalties for a total of 93 minutes
    All 6 ECAC games: RPI called for 19 penalties for a total of 57 minutes

All 11 games: Opponents called for a total of 23 penalties for a total of 64 minutes
    All 6 ECAC games: Opponents called for a total of 15 penalties for a total of 48 minutes

Some of these numbers are a bit skewed by calls made at the 20 minute mark at the end of the Union game which of course are meaningless as to a man advantage situation. I posted this just for conversation as personally I think that this sample is just too small to say much about. Others may want to look at the penalty numbers from other parts of the game that they think important (such as early and late in periods or first penalty called per game). But the early indication for this year as that we either take a significant number of extra minutes of penalties in the third period and OT or that we are getting called for more penalties in that same time period. I normally do not simply look at number of power plays since that figure just does not give you how many minutes of short handed time you face.
    It would be interesting to see what the breakdown is when Chip McDonald is the ref. I noticed the other night that he was speaking to our #27 before the game and then proceeded to call a penalty on him. Of course, the same Chip McDonald who called a penalty on him 6 seconds into a game and then on another occasion called a penalty 20 seconds in. That's a disgrace. Thank you for your vigilance on this issue DrD, you have always spoken truth to power.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      I agree that Brown should never have been on the power play, but with our history it isn't surprising. That is why I fear the worse and the league will find a way to turn the game into a loss.

Perhaps we joined a club where we get credit for every bad penalty call against us, and when we reach 1,000 we can trade the credits in for one point in the league standings.
      Believe me Ralph if Stewart and Hagwell had the power, they would try to take the 85 title from us.
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Sa was quite careful not to say anything bad about the refs.
        To be fair, not sure there's much more bad you can say. Did they miss a result-changing call? Yes. Did they attempt to do the right thing by going to look it over and making sure their call was correct? Yes. Did they follow appropriate protocol given the original call on the ice and the resources they had available to them? Yes.

Reffing is tough. You have to make split-second decisions that could potentially affect the lives of athletes, and there's almost no thanks to the job.

Comment

I expect to see the Engineers in the Top 20 this week. Atop the ECAC, two wins against Top 10 teams (BC #2, Yale #10).

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
            I expect to see the Engineers in the Top 20 this week. Atop the ECAC, two wins against Top 10 teams (BC #2, Yale #10).
            Should be. KRACH has us at #15 in large part due to our SOS which is 9th in the nation. But . . . here is where inertia takes effect - when you have been down so long, it takes time before you convince the voters that you are for real.
            "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
              Should be. KRACH has us at #15 in large part due to our SOS which is 9th in the nation. But . . . here is where inertia takes effect - when you have been down so long, it takes time before you convince the voters that you are for real.
              KRACH is kind of buggy until Quinnipiac loses (or ties) a game, but it's mostly legit.
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Inertia http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-me...mber-16,-2015/

#25 with 21 points
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

#25 with 21 points
                  We all know why having the 25th most points doesn't make us #25, right?
                  RPI Pep Band
                  GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                  🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                  2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                  2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Not only down so long, but you must also consider the rankings are on a national scale. Sure, we're on an unbeaten streak, but it's all limited to league opponents. One of the reasons PWR, KRACH, and other computer ranking systems exists is because you need some way to compare to other teams across the country. How are we going to compare to the WCHA, when we lost (and let's face it, we blew leads in both those games) against two teams currently mid-table or near the bottom? UML, BC, and Michigan are at the top of their leagues, but how do those compare? We haven't played Atlantic or NCHC yet, what sort of inferences can you make there? Those are the factors that affect a subjective top 20. Are we going to get votes? Most likely yes, and in order to get votes, at least one of the 50 must think you are a top 20 team.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                      Not to mention, the team with the 21st most points has the same number of points that would be received if all the voters made that team the #20 pick. This is going to happen in the beginning of the year; eventually we'll start to see things smooth out.

Comment

All? I doubt it.

IMHO when one votes 1-20, anything past 20 has poor accuracy and may not even reflect the voters' opinions.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

All? I doubt it.

IMHO when one votes 1-20, anything past 20 has poor accuracy and may not even reflect the voters' opinions.
                          Exactly. If every single voter thinks a team is the 21st best team in the nation, they get zero votes. Anything after #20 is unranked "honorable mention".
                          RPI Pep Band
                          GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                          2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                          2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Exactly. If every single voter thinks a team is the 21st best team in the nation, they get zero votes. Anything after #20 is unranked "honorable mention".
                            The numbers in the high teens through 20 (actually every team which doesn't get votes from everyone) suffer from incomplete knowledge of what each voter thinks of the,

Of course, I am assuming that the voters actually know something which isn't a given either.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The numbers in the high teens through 20 (actually every team which doesn't get votes from everyone) suffer from incomplete knowledge of what each voter thinks of the,

Of course, I am assuming that the voters actually know something which isn't a given either.
                              Just don't ask AspyDad his opinion on that one.

I seem to remember once, on the Slap Schotts radio segment, Ken was talking about how he handles his vote when it comes to teams not in the ECAC. I recall it was a combination of scoreboard, computer rankings, and schedule, probably among other things not mentioned. Obviously no one can watch every single game in replay (if it's even available) and turn around to vote in a nearly 24-hour period.

Comment

Strongly suspect many of those voting just look at our overall record showing 4 losses. Only one team on the list has that many and all others have less. It does not seem to matter that our record against those top 20 teams is 3-2-1. It does not seem to matter to voters who you play in achieving the overall record you have. As most have said, we have to just keep our streak of 6 games of not losing and eventually we will see some movement. The 2 losses in Alaska have hung a bit of a weight around our neck early in the season and our winning percentage just gets the most attention. Simple solution to all of this is for us to go on a 20+ game undefeated streak.
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X