Ohio State @ Wisconsin 10/10 - 10/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ Wisconsin 10/10 - 10/11

It was a good first weekend for Coach Jenny Potter and the Ohio State Women's Hockey Program with a road sweep at Lindenwood. This coming weekend presents a greater challenge as the Buckeyes travel to Madison to take on the Badgers. Wisconsin is ranked 3rd in the latest uscho.com Division I Women's poll, and has great players at every position seemingly year in and year out. Those who are going to the games (unfortunately we will not be able to be in Madison this year) will see a little different Buckeye team than you are used to. They will work hard as always, but from what I observed this past weekend, the puck management skills are much better (puck-handling, crisp passing, etc.). The freshman class is already getting some ice time and contributing, so that is a plus. The sophomores and juniors are improved, and our seven seniors really want to leave on a positive note. Coach Potter and this team have worked very hard at improving their game and it was evident in the first weekend of the season. Wisconsin fans, based on the scores from your games against Providence, it sounded like you didn't have much of a problem with them. What can we expect to see out of the Badgers this weekend? I was on the Wisconsin Athletic website and not much was really said regarding the games or matchups this weekend, but Coach Johnson was very complimentary of our new coach, Jenny Potter. From what I have seen so far, she is certainly changing the culture here.

Re: Ohio State @ Wisconsin 10/10 - 10/11

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    It was a good first weekend for Coach Jenny Potter and the Ohio State Women's Hockey Program with a road sweep at Lindenwood. This coming weekend presents a greater challenge as the Buckeyes travel to Madison to take on the Badgers. Wisconsin is ranked 3rd in the latest uscho.com Division I Women's poll, and has great players at every position seemingly year in and year out. Those who are going to the games (unfortunately we will not be able to be in Madison this year) will see a little different Buckeye team than you are used to. They will work hard as always, but from what I observed this past weekend, the puck management skills are much better (puck-handling, crisp passing, etc.). The freshman class is already getting some ice time and contributing, so that is a plus. The sophomores and juniors are improved, and our seven seniors really want to leave on a positive note. Coach Potter and this team have worked very hard at improving their game and it was evident in the first weekend of the season. Wisconsin fans, based on the scores from your games against Providence, it sounded like you didn't have much of a problem with them. What can we expect to see out of the Badgers this weekend? I was on the Wisconsin Athletic website and not much was really said regarding the games or matchups this weekend, but Coach Johnson was very complimentary of our new coach, Jenny Potter. From what I have seen so far, she is certainly changing the culture here.
    UW had a weaker first period Friday and got better each period, then Saturday it was a old fashioned beatdown. UW rolled 4 lines all weekend and played 7 D, with Williams playing Friday and Gardner (the x OSU recruit) playing Saturday. The 4th line scored 3 goals Friday, but none Saturday. Friday they allowed a lot of transition opportunities, but clamped down Saturday. I still think UW will have issues scoring in the long-term (based on all the points that graduated), and this weekend should be a good measuring stick for both teams.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...100515aab.html

Video and notes from Coach Johnson's press conference. I expect a full preview page within the next 24 hours.

Comment

Thanks Timothy A and Badger Booster. How did Gardner look? I hope she does well. These kids have to make decisions based on what is best for them and I certainly don't have any ill will about it. She has a chance to compete for National Titles, and being from Illinois, it will be closer for her family to come watch her play. Plus, we still had a nice recruiting class. I am excited about the freshmen we brought in. Good luck this weekend! Wish Mrs 86 and I were making the trip as we have the past couple of seasons but it didn't work out this season. Funny, I ordered our tickets online for those games, so now I am on the email list for Wisconsin Women's Hockey.

Comment

...Funny, I ordered our tickets online for those games, so now I am on the email list for Wisconsin Women's Hockey.
          And unless you specifically unsubscribe, you're likely to be on that list for a long, long time. To this day I get regular e-mails from Bradley Center in Milwaukee based on my attendance at the 2006 Men's FF. Same thing from Worcester, MA based on a 2005 Men's Hockey Regional.

Comment

Thanks Timothy A and Badger Booster. How did Gardner look? I hope she does well. These kids have to make decisions based on what is best for them and I certainly don't have any ill will about it. She has a chance to compete for National Titles, and being from Illinois, it will be closer for her family to come watch her play. Plus, we still had a nice recruiting class. I am excited about the freshmen we brought in. Good luck this weekend! Wish Mrs 86 and I were making the trip as we have the past couple of seasons but it didn't work out this season. Funny, I ordered our tickets online for those games, so now I am on the email list for Wisconsin Women's Hockey.
            I did not see the Saturday game (I only purchased the Friday night game), so I cannot comment on how Gardner played. I was a little surprised she was the 7th D just based on her pedigree. She was a great pick up. UW lost someone to Harvard, these kids do change their minds. I would prefer they they stick to their commitments in general, coaches and players both.

Comment

I only followed the games on the UW game blog (which wasn't great, normally much better) , so I can't comment specifically on any players besides their production.

Also surprised that Gardner didn't start both games, but maybe that speaks more to how Drake and Williams are playing. I'm assuming with the roster size that everyone is dressing and ready to go if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                I did not see the Saturday game (I only purchased the Friday night game), so I cannot comment on how Gardner played. I was a little surprised she was the 7th D just based on her pedigree. She was a great pick up. UW lost someone to Harvard, these kids do change their minds. I would prefer they they stick to their commitments in general, coaches and players both.
                LOL, well I would be a liar if I didn't say I wish Mikaela had stuck to her original commitment, but it happens.

Comment

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/891683

Series preview video (from the UW perspective). Usually is corresponding series news and notes, but haven't seen them on the UW website site. Expected it a couple of days ago to be honest.

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...100915aae.html

Ok, here are the series news and notes for this weekend.

Comment

Yikes, Wisconsin takes game one by a final score of 7-0. Bear with me here as I go back and forth between the box score and this page ... Wisconsin's goals were scored by Sam Cogan, Sydney McKibbon, Rachel Jones, Emily Clark (2), and Annie Pankowski (2). The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:07 EST. That game will be shown on BIG Ten Network.

Comment

Total domination by UW. At one point in the 3rd UW had as many goals as OSU had in shots - 6. I'd say Providence and OSU are on the same plane based on what I've seen so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          Total domination by UW. At one point in the 3rd UW had as many goals as OSU had in shots - 6. I'd say Providence and OSU are on the same plane based on what I've seen so far.
                          You have not seen total domination yet, that will happen next week. The WCHA schedule makers must really hate St. Cloud.

Comment

I want to put this delicately, if not diplomatically. Certainly without malice. That was the worst I've seen Ohio State play in the 15 years I've been following women's hockey. They didn't look ready to play physically or mentally. I have to imagine that they will come out much better today, because they can't play worse.

On the other hand, Wisconsin came out flying and their energy level stayed pretty high for all three periods. Not a surprise, the top two lines are going to produce at a high level and the back two lines are solid if nothing else. Pankowski had several highlight plays and Clark/Nurse were creating opportunities all game. It was a fun game, but really surprised it wasn't more competitive. I got free custard at Culver's (5+ goals) so that was even an extra bonus.

Crowd was smaller than I thought it would be (1,500) which was not helped by the fact that they were going head-to-head with Badger football. Unfortunately, they are going up against the Packers today. I swear no other Badger team gets scheduled up against other local teams (volleyball, road football games, Packers) more than women's hockey.

Anyway, hope for more of the same today from the Badgers. I think they are going to be a very entertaining team to follow this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                              I want to put this delicately, if not diplomatically. Certainly without malice. That was the worst I've seen Ohio State play in the 15 years I've been following women's hockey. They didn't look ready to play physically or mentally. I have to imagine that they will come out much better today, because they can't play worse.

On the other hand, Wisconsin came out flying and their energy level stayed pretty high for all three periods. Not a surprise, the top two lines are going to produce at a high level and the back two lines are solid if nothing else. Pankowski had several highlight plays and Clark/Nurse were creating opportunities all game. It was a fun game, but really surprised it wasn't more competitive. I got free custard at Culver's (5+ goals) so that was even an extra bonus.

Crowd was smaller than I thought it would be (1,500) which was not helped by the fact that they were going head-to-head with Badger football. Unfortunately, they are going up against the Packers today. I swear no other Badger team gets scheduled up against other local teams (volleyball, road football games, Packers) more than women's hockey.
                              I'd be very surprised if the crowd today isn't noticeably larger than the crowd yesterday. I understand there's a large overlap of Packers fans and Badgers fans, but the time conflict is much less significant than UW women's hockey at the same time as UW football. Also, remember that if volleyball and women's hockey are playing home games at the same time, then they each have the same exact conflict. I've been to a few volleyball games that were at the same time as road football games. They also go against men's hockey on Friday or Saturday night every once in a while, so volleyball has the worst conflicts. I also remember one Wednesday-night men's basketball conflict a couple of years ago. (And for the NFL-nuts, they have a lot of Sunday afternoon matches.)

Comment

Working...
                              X