Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Gophers open the season this Saturday vs. University of Vermont Catamounts at Mariucci. Vermont’s 2-1 exhibition loss to Acadia last Sunday was learning experience for a young Catamounts team with 9 FR and 4 SR.

“We’ve got a lot to work on. We haven’t really talked about a lot of things with our guys,” said Vermont head coach Kevin Sneddon, who conducted the team’s first official full practice only 24 hours prior to Sunday’s faceoff. “We were writing notes in the coaches’ room about things we’ve got to go over prior to leaving for Minnesota and it’s a lengthy list.”
    The Gophers are equally a young team this season with 10 FR and 4 SR, so the battle on Saturday promises to showcase a lot of new talent on both teams. The Gophers have big skates to fill to replace Adam Wilcox in net with hopes a starter will emerge from a rotation of freshmen Eric Schierhorn or Brock Kautz.

Go Gophers! Rah!

Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Need the arrow. Excited for another season and I'm happy that we got the smiley on this thread.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I have low expectations for this year. .500 record maybe.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        I have low expectations for this year. .500 record maybe.
        I'm more in the camp of being mildly optimistic, not trying to get my hopes up too much, mainly due to their youth. Definitely hope they surprise on the upside, however.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

How far they go beyond this year will depend upon in no particular order:

1. The Junior class
          2. Locker room chemistry
          3. Better G production. They don't need all-star numbers but they can't have below average
          4. 2-3 Fr and/or an under the radar returning player stepping up
          5. No more coaching b.s. Lucia and MG need to be in the same page and they need to challenge the players and prevent anyone from going Schroeder or Oklpso on the team
          Last edited by Slap Shot; 10-10-2015, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I don't see more than 5 losses on that schedule.

We're comin'...

Comment

Lol

Comment

I don't like going into seasons with too many expectations, and especially so in a year where there are so many holes to fill. That being said, the only way this team finishes at .500 is if goaltending is a total train wreck.

Comment

.500 were the years that tDon was under fire. So, I don't expect that.

I expect a mild F4 run, that doesn't result in an F4, but hey, it was fun. See: MN Twins "playoff" run.

.600, some really bad losses, equally great wins, solid promise for the next year, or year after that.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

For the first time I can remember I'm going to miss the opener. Weather is too beautiful and the leaves are peaking up north so Mrs and I are taking a couples weekend away. Goldy Jr and a buddy will go to the Catamount game and I'll try to catch the game on BTN Plus up north.

My expectations are about like SS's. I expect them to make the NCAA tournament and push for the B1G title.

Comment

Yeah. I think the most likely outcome is that the team drops quite a few games and scraps its way to a record similar to 2008/09 when it went 17-13-7 and just missed the NCAAs. Even that team had more star power than this one. Hopefully that means we have a tougher team than otherwise...but having so many freshman can't help.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                        I don't see more than 5 losses on that schedule.

We're comin'...
                        I like the way you think, Shiny.
                        You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

At least we can get primed for hockey with a Wild game tonight. Someone please tell me I heard wrong though. I thought I heard an ad on NHL Network (or maybe a different channel covering NHL last night) for Jamie Hirsch to be reporting on one of their shows? Did we lose Jamie to a National channel? Say it ain't so.....

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                            At least we can get primed for hockey with a Wild game tonight. Someone please tell me I heard wrong though. I thought I heard an ad on NHL Network (or maybe a different channel covering NHL last night) for Jamie Hirsch to be reporting on one of their shows? Did we lose Jamie to a National channel? Say it ain't so.....
                            I believe we did.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Didn't know this. In some ways, the Gophers were the best team in hockey the last four years. Obviously, the team had four straight season championships and one tourney championship. Also from Gophersports over the last four years, Minnesota leads the nation in total wins (105), winning percentage (.690) and fewest losses (43). Lastly, the Gophers leading the nation in home wins (63), home winning percentage (.801) and fewest home losses (13). It really is hard to believe this can be sustained.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                              X