Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
    well, given how the game against Vermont went, I was pleasantly surprised by how well MN hung in there with Duluth last night. Tonight, after the first 28 minutes, I thought the Gophers actually had the better of the play. They still seemed to lack the quality to convert that into high-percentage chances and goals, but I was actually pretty pleased with the way they played those final 32 minutes or so. And it was against a VERY solid team.

1 goal in three games - not good.
    1-13(?) on the PP - not good.
    9GA in 3 games (not counting the empty net) - eh, not very good.
    But they seem to be getting better. That's the most important thing.

The big test is next weekend. This is a series where they need to, and really should, have some success. A couple wins would do a lot for their confidence, the fans' confidence, and to plug this PWR hole they are at the risk of falling into.
    I'd interpret that a bit differently.

8 GA in 3 games not counting empty net or good for about 22nd in the country? Acceptable.
    0.33 goals per game or good for dead last in D1? Horrible.

As often is the case, this is not on our defense. When we lose historically, its been because we don't put the puck in the net. Guess what, we're not putting the puck in the net. Its just the facts...until we can score more than 2 a game, we'll lose.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Anyone have tickets for the Northeastern series they aren't going to use?

Also, any suggestions for pre/post-game activities near the arena?

Comment

Originally posted by fahey4prez View Post
        Anyone have tickets for the Northeastern series they aren't going to use?

Also, any suggestions for pre/post-game activities near the arena?
        Not sure about tickets but after the start this team has had I'd imagine you won't have trouble finding any.

I know a bunch of Gopher people go to Sally's before the games. Stub and Herb's is another place pretty close to the arena in Stadium Village as well as a BDubs which is right by the arena.
        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Well, maybe they'll be competitive when they face Wisconsin....

Comment

We will win a game this weekend. It may be ugly, but we'll pull one off. Write that down.

I'm also in the camp that our offense is the main problem as of now, if you can score some goals that takes pressure off the goalie and D. Knowing that we don't score much puts huge pressure on the D and goalie, probably the whole team is gripping the sticks a bit. Most of our shots have come from about Fridley, being a little closer to the net may help, I'm no expert though.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
              We will win a game this weekend. It may be ugly, but we'll pull one off. Write that down.
              I don't see more than 5 losses on that schedule.

We're comin'...
              You might want to reconsider this one.

Comment

The 5 loss one may be a stretch.

Time to start winning!

Comment

The 5 loss one may be a stretch.

Time to start winning!
                  Don't want to rain on your parade, but IMO this team appears doomed to mediocrity and the basement of the PWR.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                    Don't want to rain on your parade, but IMO this team appears doomed to mediocrity and the basement of the PWR.
                    LOL. Six days ago it was your opinion MN is a team that will improve over the season and you were just hoping they'd peak at the right time.

This team will get much better as the season progresses, and if we peak at the right time we'll be fine.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I can't speak for anyone else, but this jackal feeding frenzy is fun to read.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I'm hopeful this young team can figure it out by mid-season and be hard to play against come playoff time. Until then, it may get ugly.
                        Originally posted by CavalryNate
                        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          LOL. Six days ago it was your opinion MN is a team that will improve over the season and you were just hoping they'd peak at the right time.
                          Like any fan you're hopeful. But not after the last three games.

Comment

Like any fan you're hopeful. But not after the last three games.
                            Duluth is a good team. Any team could have seen the same result. I think you were closer on your first prediction than your last.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

This team needs to learn to out-hustle opponents in every minute of every game. Too often, 2/3rds of the players on the ice have been playing positionally and waiting to react to the opposing player. They are losing most fore-checking and back-checking battles. They are not good enough to play a controlled attack, puck-control game. Some of the players need to learn to just start crashing the net hard. Few shots from in front in 3 games is unacceptable. Get the puck in the zone and throw everything at them. Of course this is a whole paradigm shift for many of these players who were better than most of their peers to this point in their lives, so doesn't happen overnight. But at the same time, it is what every player has to learn who eventually makes the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                Duluth is a good team. Any team could have seen the same result. I think you were closer on your first prediction than your last.

UMD may be good but with an intrastate rivalry, even in recent losses the Gophers have always fought a respectable battle. The Gophers were pathetic for the second and third game in a row last weekend. There's never been a worse start to a season in Don Lucia's 17 years as coach of the Gophers. The only comparison to this level of ineptitude is the disaster of 2009 and they missed the NCAAs. I'll stick with my prediction of Gopher mediocrity.

Comment

Working...
                                X