Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    IF being the key word, SteveO. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, you know one game at a time and all that.
    Hey, a guy can dream can't he? Possible though, Sparty is in trouble this season. If Mich beats MSU today, MSU's season has tanked at 1-12-1 in their last 14.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
      Hey, a guy can dream can't he? Possible though, Sparty is in trouble this season. If Mich beats MSU today, MSU's season has tanked at 1-12-1 in their last 14.
      You are right, as usual, the Gophers do have a realistic chance to seep against Sparty at home. Just say'in that if the Gophers don't get a big enough lead when the game is on the line, watch out because as we've seen way too many times this season, a favorable outcome is never assured.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

They better sweep next weekend. Their RPI simply can't absorb a home ice loss to MSU, regardless of what happens the rest of the way.

That's the stinker about the OT losses to PSU and Harvard. The team played well and probably deserved better than what they got in those 2 games, but with the position they are in it just doesn't matter. The time has passed where showing improvement and playing well was good enough. It's all about the W-L now. Those were 2 very winnable games that they very much needed, and that slipped through their fingers.

With the way the Big 10 is shaping up, losses to those bottom 3 teams are going to put a serious hurt on in terms of the PWR, and wins give next to no bump.
        It's already a bit of a long shot, but a loss to MSU this weekend pretty much seals the Gophers needing to win the conference tourney for a birth to the NCAAs.

As for the game tonight, a very solid effort. The Gophers did a good job of tightening up defensively and eliminating mistakes on their own end. As often happens when you do that, you force the opponent to make some mistakes that you can capitalize on. It's always nice to get out to a lead, too. The game is so much easier playing ahead rather than behind.

I also liked the decision to shake up the D and insert Sadek, and I thought the right choice was made in who to sit.

Comment

You are right, as usual, the Gophers do have a realistic chance to seep against Sparty at home. Just say'in that if the Gophers don't get a big enough lead when the game is on the line, watch out because as we've seen way too many times this season, a favorable outcome is never assured.
          Sad thing is in at least two of those OT games (MSUM, PSU), a clear Dman error cost the game. Ryan Collins certainly has the size and reach to be very good and funny thing is I don't remember him being THAT bad last season. Benching him was the right thing to do to send a message that he needs to play smarter position hockey.

On a another note, what has happened to Sparty? They were a contender in the Big Ten last season, but this season the wheels have apparently fallin' off. Jake Hildebrand was marked preseason as one of the top goalies in the NCAA. His GAA is now 3.37. Total goals scored in home and home games this weekend: Mich 15, MSU 5. Gophers must kick them while they're down for a sweep at Mariucci next weekend.

Comment

They would love to have Friday night back but I love that they came out on Saturday with a purpose. Now they need to really minimize the mistakes and drive it home. A very good result in the NSC would go a long way toward not only PWR but overall confidence and preparation for the playoffs.

Comment

I still can't believe we scored 7 goals on Saturday. Hope they've got a few left in the tank for this weekend.

Comment

I still can't believe we scored 7 goals on Saturday. Hope they've got a few left in the tank for this weekend.
                I attribute that to PSU, while having offensive strengths, not being a defensive Harvard...and then getting gassed. Maybe we'll start on a big scoring streak...but I wouldn't count on that.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

"Swede in the States"

http://www.gophersports.com/prideoni...ampaign=011116

Comment

"Catching Up with Mike Reilly"

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...011216aaa.html

Comment

Could have used him this year leading that D.

Though we are starting to play much better now and tDon finally made the correct move with the D on Saturday. Sorry but #6 should watch more often.

Comment

Curious what Gopher fans take is on this article? http://www.citypages.com/news/what-h...rogram-7960026
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          Curious what Gopher fans take is on this article? http://www.citypages.com/news/what-h...rogram-7960026

Ouch.

A lot of parallels to what's going on in Madison.

Some other interesting articles are linked within there too.

Comment

Meh.

I think it's more about college hockey in general and how it's changed in the last 10-15 years. Parity is now the norm.

The B1G is no (old) WCHA. Then throw in 15 YO recruits into the mix and things change.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              That's a pretty significant piece of work. But I think the story is a retread. Let me explain...

The whole story reminds me of a post that I saw on GPL and I quote 'What is obvious is that none of these (current) Dmen is as good as Skjei, Reilly, or Marshall.' The funny thing is that last year the site was blowing up with folks criticizing all three. Its a constant cycle of who's at fault for a game where not every win is guaranteed. And frankly although Reilly was a special talent, some of the guys (Brod, Bischoff) this year are probably on par with Skjei and Marshall anyways.

The larger point is that everyone thinks this years program is a disaster...if only we had the one just like it was. Well I got news. Outside of a few years during the 70s and in the 1920s...the Minnesota program has been very good by national standards but never the best. Michigan was much better in the '50s and '60s. One could have asked 'what's wrong with the Gophers?' Why can't they just put it together? Is it the coaches?' Denver was much better netting it 7 national titles. They could have asked what was wrong in the '90s with Woog. Oh that's right, they did. And as what is a 4 time conference champion and what I believe is the program with the winningest record over the previous 4 years, I think the program is on par with what its done in the past.

The problem is not with the current program, but rather of the fans (and in this case article author) that have idealized childhood memories of the perfect Gophers and who lack historical perspective. imho
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

The problem is not with the current program, but rather of the fans (and in this case article author) that have idealized childhood memories of the perfect Gophers and who lack historical perspective. imho
                                If you read the article, you would see that most of the criticism in it is from former players and NHL scouts. Not sure how you can slide the blame to the author and fans that aren't connected to the program.
                                Originally posted by SJHovey
                                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Working...
                                X