PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

HarleyMC
10-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Is the B1G going to 3 on 3's like the NCHC? I hate SO's, anything to not watch a SO or have actual conference pts be awarded by one I'm all for.

I'd rather watch the goalies skate to mid-ice and drop the gloves, winner gets the extra point.

No San, the Nacho league is the first college hockey conference to test the 3-on-3 format. SOs are basically "lone break" moves which you don't see in a game that often and something every good player must have in their tool kit. Every player loves to go one-on-one with a goalie. So for that reason and also since I practiced those dekes continuously myself, I think SOs are awesome. There are many strategic ways to beat a goalie. Question is: Which move will work on which goalie?

One of my favorite all time SO goals by Todd Bertuzzi (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WvArh3OxhI)

The Rube
10-08-2015, 11:38 PM
Didn't know this. In some ways, the Gophers were the best team in hockey the last four years. Obviously, the team had four straight season championships and one tourney championship. Also from Gophersports over the last four years, Minnesota leads the nation in total wins (105), winning percentage (.690) and fewest losses (43). Lastly, the Gophers leading the nation in home wins (63), home winning percentage (.801) and fewest home losses (13). It really is hard to believe this can be sustained.

I actually knew most of that. Trouble is, we lost the ONE game that counts in (insert situation).

5mn_Major
10-09-2015, 09:51 AM
I actually knew most of that. Trouble is, we lost the ONE game that counts in (insert situation).

And in each of those games, it didn't typically feel like they were outplayed by an even better team...it felt like they kinda collapsed.

Koho
10-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Day seems to be creeping by slowly. Like the nights with Wild on too. Hope period breaks don't overlap. Want to be able to switch over and watch between commercials and periods. With Wild in first and Parise on pace for 246 goals this season, should be fun to watch them too.

5mn_Major
10-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Ugh. Not much good in this one. A game at home we could/should win. If we don't score this will be a long season. An 0 and 3 start is not out of the question.

Stauber1
10-10-2015, 10:07 PM
That was....that was not a good hockey game.
This team is going to get better, I just hope it is sooner rather than later. Like in the next 6 days.

As for Schierhorn, all I can say is Holy Rebounds, Batman.

Novak was probably the most impressive out of the frosh.

cross cheque
10-10-2015, 10:27 PM
The Big Stinking Sh1tty Ten.

Jockstock
10-10-2015, 10:53 PM
The Big Stinking Sh1tty Ten.

Well take a bath and wash your feet once in while...frickin' cross dresser.

Bonin21
10-10-2015, 10:54 PM
The Big Ten had nothing to do with that performance.

Slap Shot
10-11-2015, 03:56 AM
They looked good for about 10 minutes but pretty discombobulated the rest of the way.

5mn_Major
10-11-2015, 08:06 AM
They looked good for about 10 minutes but pretty discombobulated the rest of the way.

Yeah. My guess is a little extra Gopher adrenaline...and it took that long for Vermont to get comfortable.

JoeGopher
10-11-2015, 08:10 AM
First, Vermont played a great game, Good on all aspects and generally outplayed the Gophs in every aspect. Second, I thought Schierhorn played pretty well. Only made a couple of mistakes, but they were big. If Glover had covered/cleared his man that rebound on the 2nd goal wouldn't have mattered. Bottom line, if you only give up 2, you should win.

Kloos was busting his butt all night. Got NO help at all. Fasching was non existent like much of last year. Collins was terrible - surprised he didn't work on skating and puck handling over the summer - maybe just a really bad game. Cammarata??? He was worthless. And him on point on the first PP unit? I don't get it. Most of the frosh were invisible. But then again, so were the upper-class.

I have no doubt tDon will mix things up this week.

5mn_Major
10-11-2015, 09:40 AM
I have been hoping Fasching would develop to become a Bjugs kind of player. He's fine as is, we just need him to be more. He was heralded when young. Seem to fade in Ann Arbor which was a bit of a flag. But had a strong Freshman campaign in large part to Rau and company. So it appears as with other players we've had in recent years, he does well when paired with great players. If Kloos isn't enough, then there's a problem.

Bonin21
10-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Yeah. My guess is a little extra Gopher adrenaline...and it took that long for Vermont to get comfortable.
Two PPs right out the gate could also create the illusion of a good start.

Slap Shot
10-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Or playing up the PP angle discounts the rest of what was witnessed. But I understand your need to find the cloud within the silver lining.

Koho
10-11-2015, 03:54 PM
Or playing up the PP angle discounts the rest of what was witnessed. But I understand your need to find the cloud within the silver lining.

What was the 'silver lining'? They need to improve in all areas. Defense is less experienced and will rely a lot on less experienced guys. Other than Kloos, no one stood out as looking like they would be a consistent threat.

None of the Freshman surprised me like I seemed to remember being surprised 2 years ago (granted, they probably had one game before I saw them then) and outside of maybe Novak, I don't know if they are expected to do as much as Kloos, Fasching and Cammi were when they came in, so I don't expect them to contribute tons of points consistently. Seems more like a solid class of good players that have the chance to be a good class if they stick around a few years, then the type that will have immediate impact. And the goalie (can't remember spelling) looked nervous and just ok.

They had a fair amount of energy, which is good, but energy in the first game doesn't always translate to consistent energy all season. A team that isn't top heavy needs energy, but that might come from the competition for spots, since there are probably less players 'guaranteed' a spot than normal.

I know people will read this as a completely pessimistic rant, and I can be pessimistic with the best (less disappointment when things don't turn out) , but I think a lot of what I am saying is true. I don't think they will be a bad team, nor that they can't pull together and play better than the sum of their parts if the chemistry starts clicking near the end of the year. It is going to take some coaching to get them there. I just see a lot of necessary improvement in several parts of the game. I would predict a roller coaster season, if I were a predicting sort of guy.

Just didn't see a lot of positives in that game.

mnstate0fhockey
10-11-2015, 07:52 PM
It's one game guys :)

Think Don regrets not scheduling a exhibition game?

Vermont executed their trap game to perfection, and Gophers tried to force too many stretch passes and had far too many turnovers thru the neutral zone. And WAY too many missed nets.

Will be interesting too see which adjustments coaches make this week.

D2D
10-11-2015, 09:27 PM
It is going to take some coaching to get them there. I just see a lot of necessary improvement in several parts of the game.
I totally agree, and look at it as an OPPORTUNITY for the coaches to make a meaningful difference as to how the team progresses throughout the season.

5mn_Major
10-11-2015, 11:21 PM
Rant away. Its a message board...people can say what they feel.

My opinion is that the defense is ok. We've actually got ok experience back there. Bischoff and Brod, Collins, Glover, Johnson and Seeler. All have anywhere between some and quite a bit experience. I am much more concerned about offense. Historically, we've been less likely to lose to a team that scores 4 plus goals...than when we score 2 or less. And I don't know who is going to make 3+ goals a game.

HarleyMC
10-12-2015, 12:13 AM
Rant away. Its a message board...people can say what they feel.

My opinion is that the defense is ok. We've actually got ok experience back there. Bischoff and Brod, Collins, Glover, Johnson and Seeler. All have anywhere between some and quite a bit experience. I am much more concerned about offense. Historically, we've been less likely to lose to a team that scores 4 plus goals...than when we score 2 or less. And I don't know who is going to make 3+ goals a game.

I like the D corp we have and over time they'll settle into a more solid positioning and puck support game. There's experience there as you said as well as some feisty physicality, which I like. They definitely weren't terrible on Sat. They won quite a few puck battles, worked the corners and in front.

But there were too many errant passes in transition that gave VM a chance to jump back and get offensive zone time. That essentially killed a lot of offensive momentum for the Gophers in the 2nd and 3rd period and they couldn't get SOG. It didn't look to me like VM ran an official trap, but their game plan to slow the Gophers down with a strong presence and forecheck in the neutral zone worked for very well for them. We saw that at times last season and I would expect to see teams use that same strategy at times against the Gophers throughout this season.