PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

gopher wes
12-18-2015, 08:06 AM
I know folks are regularly focused on the tourney. But I'd like to see a bigten regular season championship (even with it being big ten). Its not too far of a stretch (vis a vis getting a tourney invite from the PWR) and is the first goal to shoot for. A 5th straight would be a pretty awesome accomplishment for this team.
I agree. It's not the overall goal, but in any event I think hanging a banner is cool. I don't care how much people hate the B1G, I still got pumped watching the Gophers clinch the conference title against Penn St last season.

Eh. I think I said last year I couldn't give 2 ****s about the Big 10 title. I had to amend that, and now say I would give a single **** for a Big title....but not 2. :p

It's great for the team to focus on goals within reach and then let the chips fall where they may. But as a fan, I can afford to look ahead a bit. And I'd take an NCAA tourney birth over a Big title any day.
Fair enough. A single s is a fair amount to give.

gopher wes
12-18-2015, 08:07 AM
He may be dirty, but no more dirty than kids that tried to slew foot or slash him into taking retallitory penalties. The B1G's officiating is garbage, very arbitrary and definitely has a jones for this kid.
He's more than earned it from the times I've seen him play. And that's just against the Gophers, I'm sure he pulls that crap against other teams as well.

SJHovey
12-18-2015, 08:15 AM
I don't think he was saying that 23 wins would lock up a tournament birth, just that if you win 23 games over the course of the season you have very high odds of making it.
But the point that there are a lot of other variables at play is important, evidenced by my hypothetical and your actual example of an Atlantic Hockey team exceeding that 23w mark and not qualifying.

Again, though, it is going to be hard for Minnesota to hit 23 wins this season. But they don't necessarily have to. Winning the *right* games can go a long way in the PWR.
You are exactly right.

The AHA, and CHA a few years ago, were certainly exceptions. While the B1G may be down this year, it isn't at the level of those conferences. It still has teams like Michigan and PSU who are beating some out of conference teams.

Getting to 23 is certainly no guarantee, especially now with six auto bids and the chances for six conference tourney upsets. But as they say, "I like my chances" if a team can get to that number.

SanTropez
12-18-2015, 08:43 AM
If we can shore up that D a little in the 2nd half, we may be able to dig ourselves out of the hole. The offense seems to be solid, scoring about 3.5 goals a game in the last 11 games.

Winning the classic would go a long way with confidence and PWR.
We also get Penn State 4 times and Michigan at home twice, plenty of PWR opportunities for the Gophers.

5mn_Major
12-18-2015, 08:52 AM
I agree. It's not the overall goal, but in any event I think hanging a banner is cool. I don't care how much people hate the B1G, I still got pumped watching the Gophers clinch the conference title against Penn St last season.

My opinion also. OK...you make the Froz4...that's on another level. But whether we get eliminated in the first round or second...you still end on a big bummer without too much to show. Of course everyone wants their team to go to the tourney, but I think the conference championship is undervalued.

SanTropez
12-18-2015, 09:13 AM
Back in the WCHA heyday, winning that league was better than just making the NCAA tourney.

Meatgrinder

D2D
12-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Back in the WCHA heyday, winning that league was better than just making the NCAA tourney.
Better still was winning the conference tournament, which also got you into the NCAA tourney! ;)

cross cheque
12-18-2015, 12:18 PM

Oh goodness how exciting, beating Penn State to hang a participation banner at Emptyucci Arena. Be still my beating heart :rolleyes:

gopher wes
12-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Oh goodness how exciting, beating Penn State to hang a participation banner at Emptyucci Arena. Be still my beating heart :rolleyes:
Gotta take what we can get right? :o:o

SanTropez
12-18-2015, 02:58 PM
Just ignore the flatlander wes.

We have nothing to hang our heads about as a program. We only have the most wins in the last 4 years of any program, have won 4 conference titles in a row, been to the NC game in 2014 and a couple frozen fours during this span as well.

His ****pile program... not so much.

Slap Shot
12-18-2015, 04:31 PM
If you say the conference title means nothing I have to wonder.

It's not the WCHA we had come to know and love (attended my first Gophers game in '73 so I've had my share of time invested) but they're my team and to win the regular season title is still an accomplishment. This year it would be even more so given the team should not be expected to do so, UMi at the very least should be considered the favorite, PSU is not a pushover and even UW has improved.

Nobody extrapolate that to meaning more than it should. The conference is not nearly the toughest I get that - but you can't walk though it for the title and goddamit if this isn't my favorite game on ice.

D2D
12-18-2015, 04:34 PM
...but you can't walk though it for the title...
Even Red's players understand that now...:D

SteveO
12-18-2015, 04:53 PM
...if this isn't my favorite game on ice.

Haha...you compelled me to look that up. There are five sports played on ice: Broomball, Curling, Speed Skating, Figure Skating and Hockey. Clearly hockey has been my favorite too, but broomball comes in a close second though. I'll never forget the nights on the outdoor hockey rink at Arlington playground in St. Paul playing broomball with boots and shinpads. What a blast that was. Too bad there's not much outdoor ice around anymore.

St. Clown
12-18-2015, 10:39 PM
Haha...you compelled me to look that up. There are five sports played on ice: Broomball, Curling, Speed Skating, Figure Skating and Hockey. Clearly hockey has been my favorite too, but broomball comes in a close second though. I'll never forget the nights on the outdoor hockey rink at Arlington playground in St. Paul playing broomball with boots and shinpads. What a blast that was. Too bad there's not much outdoor ice around anymore.

You left out bandy. It's like a hybrid between ice hockey and field hockey, played on a giant sheet of ice.

SteveO
12-18-2015, 10:57 PM
You left out bandy. It's like a hybrid between ice hockey and field hockey, played on a giant sheet of ice.

Wow, first I've heard of it.:D Sounds faster than ice hockey and the goalie has no stick?? I'd love to take a shot at it. http://bringmethenews.com/2014/10/08/bandy-about-worlds-fastest-game-has-foothold-in-icy-minnesota/

The Rube
12-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Wow, first I've heard of it.:D Sounds faster than ice hockey and the goalie has no stick?? I'd love to take a shot at it. http://bringmethenews.com/2014/10/08/bandy-about-worlds-fastest-game-has-foothold-in-icy-minnesota/

The Russians were HUGE into that, until they turned to hockey after WWII, due to the Olympics.

And figure skating is not a sport.

D2D
12-18-2015, 11:33 PM
Just as girls high school hockey in Minnesota was beginning to get underway, there was a big debate as to which direction it would go: hockey or bandy. Of course hockey won out, and very few in Minnesota (or in the U.S. for that matter) play bandy today. But the sport is still popular for girls in the Scandinavian countries. Here in the Twin Cities I believe they still have a bandy rink set up at the Roseville Skating Center.

Slap Shot
12-19-2015, 01:24 AM

I was referring Gophers vs Wild... :)

Koho
12-19-2015, 11:54 AM

First, there used to be some sort of Bandy league here. I was recruited to play one night decades ago in the championship game of the B or C division. (Wasn't much of a league, so adding players to have enough to play was fine.) Was played inside on hockey rink though because outside rinks were melting. Hard to get used to that little stick. It think we won, so I am undefeated in the game all-time.

Also, there used to be some alternative for girls where they had a straight stick with no blade and played with a thing like a large diameter puck with a hole in the middle, so one could put the stick in the hole and push it down the ice. (Wasn't actually intending innuendo when written, but be careful there, these were just girls...) Ringlets maybe?

(Can't wait to get back to reall hockey games...)

D2D
12-19-2015, 12:40 PM
Also, there used to be some alternative for girls where they had a straight stick with no blade and played with a thing like a large diameter puck with a hole in the middle, so one could put the stick in the hole and push it down the ice. (Wasn't actually intending innuendo when written, but be careful there, these were just girls...) Ringlets maybe?

You were close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qsSys5mkec

(Can't wait to get back to reall hockey games...)
Still about two weeks away...:(