This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>>>>>> RIT Tigers 2015-16 Regular season thread. On the prowl again

Penn State also has athletic scholarships.

Speaking of scholarships - I'm still confused about scholarships in AHC. Here's a quote from the most recent AHC blog post on here:

One reason for the league’s success is an elevation of its scholarship limit. Although the NCAA allows for a maximum monetary value of 18 scholarships, Atlantic Hockey allowed only 12 until last year. Over the past two years, they’ve phased in two more scholarships, bringing the league limit up to 14.

“The increase in scholarships allowed teams to offer athletes more money, which is helping them become much more competitive in recruiting,” said DeGregorio, who anticipates the topic will be reviewed once again at the league’s meetings this spring.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2016/01/27/degr...#ixzz3yToUcQJq

1) Why does AHC limit scholarships to 12/14 instead of allowing the NCAA max of 18?
    2) Are these 14 per team, or 14 scholarships in all of AHC?
    3) What schools in AHC are allowed to give scholarships (I know there's weird NCAA rules that prohibit RIT)?

RIT Hockey FB Group
    Facebook.com/groups/RITtigershockey

RIT '13

Comment

Originally posted by StimulisRK View Post
      Penn State also has athletic scholarships.

Speaking of scholarships - I'm still confused about scholarships in AHC. Here's a quote from the most recent AHC blog post on here:

One reason for the league’s success is an elevation of its scholarship limit. Although the NCAA allows for a maximum monetary value of 18 scholarships, Atlantic Hockey allowed only 12 until last year. Over the past two years, they’ve phased in two more scholarships, bringing the league limit up to 14.

“The increase in scholarships allowed teams to offer athletes more money, which is helping them become much more competitive in recruiting,” said DeGregorio, who anticipates the topic will be reviewed once again at the league’s meetings this spring.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2016/01/27/degr...#ixzz3yToUcQJq

1) Why does AHC limit scholarships to 12/14 instead of allowing the NCAA max of 18?
      2) Are these 14 per team, or 14 scholarships in all of AHC?
      3) What schools in AHC are allowed to give scholarships (I know there's weird NCAA rules that prohibit RIT)?
      1) AHC was founded as a cost containment league. I'm sure there are some schools that would rather not allow any scholarships, if possible.

2) The number is per team, and that number can divide into fractions. So say a team rosters 25 players, they could take the value of 14 scholarships and divide that amongst 25 players.

3) Everyone outside of RIT. I think the service Academies work differently, as there is no tuition.
      RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
        Comparing RIT to Penn State and the progress of their hockey programs is a real stretch. Penn State is where they are now because they are Penn State and have that level of name recognition from years of football. RIT has built its athletic reputation on hockey alone, while Penn State piggybacked hockey on top of Football and Basketball. They ( and ASU) really have a huge head start in building their programs. In the minds of most sports fans Penn State is DI, while RIT is some little D3 school in Troy. ;-)
        I never compared RIT to Penn State, but UCONN. Admittedly UCONN is also a D1 school but not quite as much of a household name as PSU (besides basketball). If they can have this amount of success without even having their own on campus arena, I see no reason why RIT could do the same if not better.

Not to beat a dead horse with scholarships (we all know the fact that we can't give them is egregious), but I'd rather be in a conference where 7 of 12 schools don't offer them than be the only one without regardless if its less than the rest of the NCAA.
        RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
          I never compared RIT to Penn State, but UCONN. Admittedly UCONN is also a D1 school but not quite as much of a household name as PSU (besides basketball). If they can have this amount of success without even having their own on campus arena, I see no reason why RIT could do the same if not better.

Not to beat a dead horse with scholarships (we all know the fact that we can't give them is egregious), but I'd rather be in a conference where 7 of 12 schools don't offer them than be the only one without regardless if its less than the rest of the NCAA.
          Sorry, I wasn't commenting on your post, it was another one that brought up PSU.

In terms of UCONN, the difference is likely the fact that they started putting resources into the program that they weren't doing before. I think that was one of the prerequisites before HEA offered them the slot. Had they put even half of the support into the program when they were in AHC they would have been one of, if not the elite program in the league.Heck If I recall, it wasn't that long ago that they didn't offer the full AHC compliment of scholarships.

For the first 10 years of the DI era Atlantic Hockey has been a perfect home for RIT. The opportunity for NCAA success has helped accelerate the building the programs reputation, and solidifying the community/fan support. Who knows how much longer the AHC will be home. The Tigers have done all they can to make themselves attractive to another league whether that be the ECAC or a reconstituted CCHA. Lets face it, they didn't need the GPC to stay competitive with the rest of the AHC. It was another piece put in place so that RIT is the first choice if/when a slot opens in another league.
          John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
          AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
          AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
          NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
          NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
          NCAA DII - 1983
          NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by StimulisRK View Post
            The rules are not weird. RIT is a D-III program. D-III prohibits athletic scholarships for all their member institutions, regardless of what division their teams may play-up in.
            The only seeming inconsistency is that there are other D-III programs in D-I hockey (and lacrosse) that do offer scholarships. D-III members voted to allow them to be grandfathered in and offer scholarships for their D-I play-up sports only. No new play-ups (i.e. RIT) will be allowed to do the same.
            Can't we all just get along?
            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
              The rules are not weird.
              Weird to me, with reference to the grandfathering aspect. "Can't we all just get along?"

So per other posts above - all other AHC teams, excluding Army and AF, give out athletic scholarships?

RIT Hockey FB Group
              Facebook.com/groups/RITtigershockey

RIT '13

Comment

• Originally posted by StimulisRK View Post
                Weird to me, with reference to the grandfathering aspect. "Can't we all just get along?"

So per other posts above - all other AHC teams, excluding Army and AF, give out athletic scholarships?
                That's correct. RIT and Union are the only teams in Division 1 that are prohibited from giving them.
                RIT Tigers

Comment

That's correct. RIT and Union are the only teams in Division 1 that are prohibited from giving them.
                  ..and the aforementioned service academies, Army and Air Force in D1 Hockey.
                  RPI Engineers
                  RIT Tigers
                  ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                    ..and the aforementioned service academies, Army and Air Force in D1 Hockey.
                    Are they prohibited? I thought those schools were just free.
                    RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                      Are they prohibited? I thought those schools were just free.
                      Not free, after your second year, and before you start your third, you commit to a military obligation after graduation.
                      RPI Engineers
                      RIT Tigers
                      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Tuition free/chooses not to != Prohibited
                        RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                          For the first 10 years of the DI era Atlantic Hockey has been a perfect home for RIT. The opportunity for NCAA success has helped accelerate the building the programs reputation, and solidifying the community/fan support. Who knows how much longer the AHC will be home. The Tigers have done all they can to make themselves attractive to another league whether that be the ECAC or a reconstituted CCHA. Lets face it, they didn't need the GPC to stay competitive with the rest of the AHC. It was another piece put in place so that RIT is the first choice if/when a slot opens in another league.
                          A place like the GPC and the atmosphere that the fans bring are recruiting tools as well. I would argue that this freshman class is one of the best ever for RIT, and I think the GPC is part of it. I would argue that they do need the GPC to keep themselves near the top of the AHC. As the conference slowly increases the number of scholarships available, the Tigers have to do something to attract players that might otherwise go elsewhere and superior facilities play a part.
                          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2010 Frozen Four participant
                          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Ivy League schools also do not offer athletic scholarships.

Comment

Tuition free/chooses not to != Prohibited
                              Correct.

Takes a special commitment to play at the service academies and both schools probably suffer more attrition with their underclassmen than most schools. They got my respect. I cheer for both of those teams except when they're playing RIT and RPI. Plus how could you not like Coach Serratore of AF, some of his press conferences are classic.

I would like to see the NCAA help out Union and RIT by allowing them the same grandfathered rule to add scholarships to their hockey programs. Not sure how it would work but maybe they could tie it in with that lowering the age rule that the Big Ten is floating around and everybody else seems to not like, if it actually happens. If you force Union and RIT to play with younger players then at least give them the opportunity to offer scholarships. It's only fair.
                              Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 01-28-2016, 08:50 PM.
                              RPI Engineers
                              RIT Tigers
                              ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Any word on Rotolo's injury status?
                                John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                                AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                                AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                                NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                                NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                                NCAA DII - 1983
                                NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Working...
                                X