Providence College on the road to Tampa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College on the road to Tampa

Colgate fan here, as a kid I remember Providence coming in to Starr and were ranked #1 in country. Think Providence won 3-0, I remember Lamorello was the coach !
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      Colgate fan here, as a kid I remember Providence coming in to Starr and were ranked #1 in country. Think Providence won 3-0, I remember Lamorello was the coach !
      Certainly Lou was the coach in that era but since we were #1 only once in season Colgate was not an opponent that week. Following the Harvard loss the following weekend we swept Brown (Terreri having a shutout in 2nd game in a rare start his freshman year).

Fact of the matter is Lou had real trouble with Colgate. From the 80-81 season (year we won ECAC) through the 82-83 season Lou went 1-2. The 82-83 team lost big at Starr in late Feb 6-2. By that point injuries were piling up. Bolstad injured his knee, Gator separated his shoulder, Mario suffered a groin injury he would reinjured I believe in NCAA semi's vs UMD, and one of the Dmen was playing hurt (we really only played 4 d that year--Velischek, Raboin, Delorme, and Taglianetti. Mark Ostendorf as the 5 filled to give the 4 a break. By year end little Artie Yeomelaskis was promoted to the varsity. Those ill timed injuries cost the team a real shot at national championship. I think last year and '85 not withstanding this is PC's best team
      Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

I read on USA Hockey's website that Bob O'Connor has passed away. He played for the Friars, under Tom Eccleston from 1959 to 1962: Former National Coach-In-Chief Bob O'Connor Passes Away. What is interesting to note about Bob is that while he was a Providence native, played for La Salle in high school, he moved to Edina, MN after graduating from PC. Yes, he was an important part of the Edina pipeline for PC in the 70s and 80s. He hosted Lou on recruiting trips to Minnesota.

Mark Divver wrote a nice piece on Bob for the Projo last December when Bob was honored by USA hockey: Mark Divver: Another USA Hockey honor for Providence native Bob O’Connor. It is worth a read for an important piece of PC Hockey history.

RIP Bob O'Connor

Comment

A tad disappointed tonight. A little more intensity on the power play would be appreciated.
          Last edited by The Freds; 11-13-2015, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
            A tqd disappointed tonight. A little more intensity on the power play would be appreciated.
            especially considering it was 7x5 tonight, mookie understands your disappointment
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Freds View Post
              A tad disappointed tonight. A little more intensity on the power play would be appreciated.
              You let a good not great team hang around, that is what will happen.

Not a real good night for the offense as they missed several opps to expand the lead
              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                You let a good not great team hang around, that is what will happen.

Not a real good night for the offense as they missed several opps to expand the lead
                Not sure what game you were watching, but BU did a lot more than hang around. You had a five-minute major and two minutes of 5x3 in the third and still got outshot there, and in every period.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                  Not sure what game you were watching, but BU did a lot more than hang around. You had a five-minute major and two minutes of 5x3 in the third and still got outshot there, and in every period.
                  Exactly. PC played with no urgency in those situations and got what, three shots in those seven minutes. PC did not take advantage and put BU away.

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                    Maybe you missed what I meant, PC had multiple chances to put the game away with the two man advantage, five minute major, breakaways, and failed to capitalize. BU deserved at least the tie as I thought they were the better team even strength

Comment

BU's McAvoy won't be playing tonight after the Tanev hit suspended by HE...
                      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Looked this up that PC had only 1 five minute major penalty all of last season and that wasn't even a game misconduct...PC under Leaman has become a hard hitting team within the rules.

Am I the only one that had an issue with the clipping penalty that PC was assessed? The BU guy took a run at him way behind the play and the PC player was trying to protect himself...

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                          Looked this up that PC had only 1 five minute major penalty all of last season and that wasn't even a game misconduct...PC under Leaman has become a hard hitting team within the rules.

Am I the only one that had an issue with the clipping penalty that PC was assessed? The BU guy took a run at him way behind the play and the PC player was trying to protect himself...
                          are you talking about your women's team? boo-hoo

Comment

Where is the game on NESN?

Comment

• Originally posted by dillon View Post
                              Where is the game on NESN?
                              Not

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post

The new Hockey East penalty is called ducking. I did not agree with that call.

Comment

Working...
                                X