NCHC.tv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCHC.tv

I'm looking at paying for this service and started doing some research. I'm hoping the community can provide some answers that I couldn't find elsewhere.

1. Is the service reliable and high quality?
    2. How can I view games, i.e. is it an "app" on my smartTV, is it only on a PC, is it only on a smartphone?
    3. Does a subscription enable me to watch it on 2 devices simultaneously, e.g. at home on my smartTV and on the road over my smartphone?

TIA
    A Fan of the UND Fighting Sioux!! Sioux the NCAA!

Re: NCHC.tv

Originally posted by siouxinminny View Post
    I'm looking at paying for this service and started doing some research. I'm hoping the community can provide some answers that I couldn't find elsewhere.

1. Is the service reliable and high quality?
    2. How can I view games, i.e. is it an "app" on my smartTV, is it only on a PC, is it only on a smartphone?
    3. Does a subscription enable me to watch it on 2 devices simultaneously, e.g. at home on my smartTV and on the road over my smartphone?

TIA
    I had it last year and I liked it. I only used it on my computer, my Ipad and my Iphone, so I can't talk about a smart tv, but I have to believe it would work there as well. There is an NCHC app, but I just went to their website. They usually had a link to the games they were broadcasting and you'd click on that.

I thought the quality was generally fine, but certainly not like high def tv. I really liked the picture in picture feature where on one device I could watch two games at once, and quickly switch back and forth between the two on the bigger picture.

With respect to two devices, I believe I did do that once, although I wouldn't swear to it. Usually I would just use the picture in picture feature.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

It's pretty solid. You can watch on pc or Mac, and any mobile phone or tablet that has a halfway decent browser. Feed quality varied from school to school. WMU was probaby the worst quality video last year but hopefully it's improved now. Most schools pump the audio from the radio play by play over the video. It works ok most of the time but sometimes doesn't sync up right, and in WMU's case often didn't work at all. Most of the goals of the week videos that weren't on a tv network were pulled from the nchc.Tv feeds so you can get an idea of the quality based on those highlights.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it only allows you to stream on one device at a time. I recall having issues on my laptop and trying to stream on my phone instead, which then kicked me off the laptop.

Generally, quality varied pretty widely. Some schools had quality broadcasts, others were hard to watch. The platform itself would be better if there was an actual app, but I think the only option is to stream from the website, which is okay on a computer but less than optimal on a mobile device. Adding capability to cast the video stream would also be a welcome feature that was missing last year.
        Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
          I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it only allows you to stream on one device at a time. I recall having issues on my laptop and trying to stream on my phone instead, which then kicked me off the laptop.

Generally, quality varied pretty widely. Some schools had quality broadcasts, others were hard to watch. The platform itself would be better if there was an actual app, but I think the only option is to stream from the website, which is okay on a computer but less than optimal on a mobile device. Adding capability to cast the video stream would also be a welcome feature that was missing last year.
          UND, SCSU had HD broadcasts are the best in conference. WMU, UMD are among the worst. UNO, Miami, CC and DU were just fine in quality. DU and UNO were probably the second best in quality if I remember correctly. Quality all depends on the broadcast from the arena. I can't recall
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            UND, SCSU had HD broadcasts are the best in conference. WMU, UMD are among the worst. UNO, Miami, CC and DU were just fine in quality. DU and UNO were probably the second best in quality if I remember correctly. Quality all depends on the broadcast from the arena. I can't recall
            Word on the street is that WMU had to up it's production capabilities due to the ESPN deal for football / basketball. I'd assume that this will improve the hockey feeds as well but we won't know until tonight. If I have to watch another black and white game with no audio I'm going to be pretty ****ed.

Comment

Originally posted by ubish View Post
              Word on the street is that WMU had to up it's production capabilities due to the ESPN deal for football / basketball. I'd assume that this will improve the hockey feeds as well but we won't know until tonight. If I have to watch another black and white game with no audio I'm going to be pretty ****ed.
              You're correct! The WMU feed looks much better. It doesn't appear to be on par with UND/SCSU but it's **** close. Now UMD's feed is the worst in the league by a country mile.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

CC's feed is improved as well according to the NCHC twitter feed.
                tUMD Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  You're correct! The WMU feed looks much better. It doesn't appear to be on par with UND/SCSU but it's **** close. Now UMD's feed is the worst in the league by a country mile.
                  Daloot is probably saving the money they could use to improve their feed so they can pay Shannon Miller and company.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                    Daloot is probably saving the money they could use to improve their feed so they can pay Shannon Miller and company.
                    Actually the blame rests on the local tv stations that don't put the money into HD. Being a University of Minnesota school means they'll foot the bill on Miller and company Given the main U's track record on that they've probably saved some money for these sort of things.
                    tUMD Hockey

Comment

Does anyone else have issues streaming NCHC.tv live games on Android devices? I have tried using both the native browser and Chrome on a couple different Android phones and an Android tablet on 4G and multiple WiFi networks, but keep having the same issue: the stream works great for 1-2 minutes, but then freezes and requires a refresh to get started again (then repeat the process). I have been trying to work with NCHC.tv support without any luck. They take several days to several weeks to respond and then just keep telling me to check my internet connection and clear my cache.
                      Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Working...
                      X