Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part One) - Return of the "Champions of December"??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part One) - Return of the "Champions of December"??

Well, UNH won the all important SOG battle so thats all you really need to know

Seriously though, it was a great come from behind win which could pay some dividends down the road in terms of mental toughness. Glad to see Eiserman get rewarded with a sweet one timer off the weak side down low. I thought he worked his arse off all night. Kelleher was buzzin' around a la Stevie Moses, creating a lot of space for himself. All in all it was a great day to be a Wildcat.

BTW, the football team made the ESPN top ten with an amazing interception ICYMI!

Only glaring negative I saw, aside from the deluge of penalties, was Vela getting picked off twice trying to force a couple of cross ice passes but played well otherwise.

The C-H-C clip on the Tron was sweet before the intros
    Last edited by e.cat; 10-04-2015, 07:50 PM.
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      Well, UNH won the all important SOG battle so thats all you really need to know

Seriously though, it was a great come from behind win which could pay some dividends down the road in terms of mental toughness. Glad to see Eiserman get rewarded with a sweet one timer off the weak side down low. I thought he worked his arse off all night. Kelleher was buzzin' around a la Stevie Moses, creating a lot of space for himself. All in all it was a great day to be a Wildcat.

BTW, the football team made the ESPN top ten with an amazing interception ICYMI!

Only glaring negative I saw was Vela getting picked off twice trying to force a couple of cross ice passes but played well otherwise.

The C-H-C clip on the Tron was sweet before the intros
      Good points about Eiserman! Totally agree...I would like to say while it was awesome to see the clips of Wildcat past I hope they don't drop the original warm up of the mascots skating and leading the crowd with the classic O Fortuna.... Here's the UNH view of things:

http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2015...x?path=mhockey
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-04-2015, 08:06 PM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Good points about Eiserman! Totally agree...I would like to say while it was awesome to see the clips of Wildcat past I hope they don't drop the original warm up of the mascots skating and leading the crowd with the classic O Fortuna....
        Yeah, I agree Ref. It will be interesting to see if they tweek the intros and the Tron stuff next weekend.

When the score went 4-1 them, I thought we were toast. I was impressed with how the boys battled back strong.
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
          Yeah, I agree Ref. It will be interesting to see if they tweek the intros and the Tron stuff next weekend.

When the score went 4-1 them, I thought we were toast. I was impressed with how the boys battled back strong.
          yea I have to say we wondered the same but they came out with such a jump in their step it was great to see!!! Can't wait till next weekend...if you are there let's catch up!

ps as for the intro stuff I've already emailed the powers that be about it...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I was not there, but according to box on CHN,

1) MacDonald-Smith-Gaudreault
            2) Correale-Poturalski-Kelleher
            3) Foegele-Vela-Eiserman
            4) Salvaggio-McNicholas-Hill
            D1) Cleland-Furgele
            D2) Quast-Marks
            D3) Maller-Boyd
            XF) Bourque, Nazarian, Chanter (did these guys play?)

Chuck should be happy that Eiserman notched 3 points (2 G, 1 A).

Also, UNH outshot SFX 35-24 (note that I did not mention the dreaded XXX term).

So, did Clark with his 0.00 GAA and 100 SV% look better than Ty Rone with his 6.00 GAA and 77.8 SV%? Just kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Well it was an up and down kind of game very physical and we got the worst of it penalty wise. Two back to back within 25 second goals didn't help either! Personally felt the officiating left a lot to be desired but what do I know haha.
              'Ref on ref crime!! Thought that was against "the code", HR??

Looking forward to the video intro if there is some vintage UNH stuff on it - I can back that for sure. Please tell me though there was no "Emoji Cam" or "Kiss Cam" garbage, though ...

... and while on the subject of irrelevant pregame crap, we need a 50% mascot department downsize. Seriously.

Good to see Eiserman trying to earn back "Yzerman" honors I had to take away from him last season.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

3) Foegele-Vela-Eiserman
                D1) Cleland-Furgele
                D2) Quast-Marks
                D3) Maller-Boyd

So, did Clark with his 0.00 GAA and 100 SV% look better than Ty Rone with his 6.00 GAA and 77.8 SV%? Just kidding!
                Yes Bourque Chanter and Nazarian played..not much maybe Nazarian had the most ice time of the three? Chanter got alittle hot headed in front of us (and couldn't blame him either!!) at one point I'd like to see him do well this season we need him on D!!

ps Chuck, yes, guilty as charged...as per the 'ref code'. 'Course, no one ever said that about any games I ever officiated..haha right.
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-04-2015, 08:52 PM.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

The AHA (AHC?) USCHO beat writers rank the AIC Yellow Jackets 11th, as in last. But, do not let that ranking fool you, as they can sting hard.

Comment

"5 Unanswered Goals Spark UNH Win Over St. Francis Xavier"
                    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

3) Foegele-Vela-Eiserman
                      D1) Cleland-Furgele
                      D2) Quast-Marks
                      D3) Maller-Boyd

M-S-G line is a clear checking line and I really hope they get 3rd line time at most.
                      C-P-K played well the 2nd half of last year and it seemed pretty clear that they had chemistry. Poturalski seemed bigger, faster, and stronger on the ice than last season.
                      F-V-E I think was the most exciting line. Eiserman and Foegele are both big and fast and really dug deep in the corners and had a couple shifts where they hemmed StFX in their zone for a long time, I really hope They get more ice time than that first group because they looked good. And Vela had some rookie mistakes, looked to maybe be forcing it sometimes, But he fit in nicely with the other 2 and I think they will be good.

Defense looked really shaky in the first half, left Tirone out to dry a lot. They seemed to chase the puck around the defensive zone and were losing their guys out front. But they made a clear adjustment after they surrendered the 4th goal, they got aggressive on the StFX's entry to the zone forcing a ton of turnovers and also leading to the Dmen joining in on the odd man rushes which led to the goals.

I think Tirone looked okay. The first goal was stoppable but not horrible. #2 and #3 were guys left all alone in front of him. And #4 was a pass that hit our defenseman's skate. He made some good saves, especially on those penalty kills in the first period.

Clark stopped the shots he faced, but the defense had really tightened up at that point and the puck was down the other end of the ice for most of the period so it's kinda hard to judge based off the small sample.

It's not very often you get a standing ovation from the crowd at the end of an exhibition game, but the boys deserved it tonight. The beginning was very sloppy, but that 3rd period was absolute dominance. They were so fast moved the puck really well. And they were aggressive and physical, which has not been UNH's play style in the past. Chanter and Maller were strong in front of the net and stood guys up with some nice hits. And the forecheck from Eiserman and Foegele was relentless.

There's no question in my mind that over the course of the season we will see that team the stunk it up in the first half of the game. The question is who shows up more and how quickly can they grow off of what they started with that run at the end of last season. I left the Whitt tonight feeling more optimistic about this team than I have in a long time, and it feels rather refreshing.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHJourney34 View Post
                        M-S-G line is a clear checking line and I really hope they get 3rd line time at most.
                        C-P-K played well the 2nd half of last year and it seemed pretty clear that they had chemistry. Poturalski seemed bigger, faster, and stronger on the ice than last season.
                        F-V-E I think was the most exciting line. Eiserman and Foegele are both big and fast and really dug deep in the corners and had a couple shifts where they hemmed StFX in their zone for a long time, I really hope They get more ice time than that first group because they looked good. And Vela had some rookie mistakes, looked to maybe be forcing it sometimes, But he fit in nicely with the other 2 and I think they will be good.

Defense looked really shaky in the first half, left Tirone out to dry a lot. They seemed to chase the puck around the defensive zone and were losing their guys out front. But they made a clear adjustment after they surrendered the 4th goal, they got aggressive on the StFX's entry to the zone forcing a ton of turnovers and also leading to the Dmen joining in on the odd man rushes which led to the goals.

I think Tirone looked okay. The first goal was stoppable but not horrible. #2 and #3 were guys left all alone in front of him. And #4 was a pass that hit our defenseman's skate. He made some good saves, especially on those penalty kills in the first period.

Clark stopped the shots he faced, but the defense had really tightened up at that point and the puck was down the other end of the ice for most of the period so it's kinda hard to judge based off the small sample.

It's not very often you get a standing ovation from the crowd at the end of an exhibition game, but the boys deserved it tonight. The beginning was very sloppy, but that 3rd period was absolute dominance. They were so fast moved the puck really well. And they were aggressive and physical, which has not been UNH's play style in the past. Chanter and Maller were strong in front of the net and stood guys up with some nice hits. And the forecheck from Eiserman and Foegele was relentless.

There's no question in my mind that over the course of the season we will see that team the stunk it up in the first half of the game. The question is who shows up more and how quickly can they grow off of what they started with that run at the end of last season. I left the Whitt tonight feeling more optimistic about this team than I have in a long time, and it feels rather refreshing.
                        Awesome review of the game!! More, please!
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNHJourney34 View Post

I agree with most of your summary .... well done. I was at the game.

Views on the 3rd Period comeback have to be tempered by the fact that STFX played Saturday night at Merrimack and were obviously out of gas in the last period. On the other hand this was their 5th or 6th game of the season.

By the way Merrimack beat STFX 4-1 on Saturday .......... with 8 or so freshmen in the lineup.

Comment

Enjoyed reading all of these game reviews including UNH's Parker Wheeler who is writing for C-H-C's blog...On the way home we were listening to some sports radio show and a comment that resonated with me as "bad teams find a way to lose and good teams find a way to win". Too early for this optimism? Maybe...probably....

Well sure it's only the first game of the season and yeah it wasn't pretty at times but I give the 'Cats credit bringing some momentum from the goal scored in the 2nd into the third. Given what they lost from last season and given what they have (strong sophmore class and talented new comers along with talented guys like TyK and Pots) maybe we are onto something. Seeing Souza featured in the intro video was cool and seeing him behind the bench even cooler.

Shucks BC was picked tops in the Nation and what they lost 5-2 or something in their exhibition game? Doubt anyone over on Chestnut Hill is wringing their hands over that one! The night is young...we should know more in 2 weeks after we have played 2-3 games! Here come those yellow jackets buzzzzzzz.....
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-05-2015, 09:01 AM.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                              Views on the 3rd Period comeback have to be tempered by the fact that STFX played Saturday night at Merrimack and were obviously out of gas in the last period. On the other hand this was their 5th or 6th game of the season.

By the way Merrimack beat STFX 4-1 on Saturday .......... with 8 or so freshmen in the lineup.
                              Spoilsport.

Figured I'd link in a bit of a throwaway piece from seacoastonline.com, with UNH Hockey being first in a series of 21 things to "know and love about the Seacoast". Suspect there are some factual errors in there (definitely as to the FF's in the last 14 seasons), but it's nice to see the program getting a nice little boost at the start of the season in the local media. I never cease to be amazed at how many folks who live within 5-10 minutes of the campus aren't even aware of UNH Hockey, but trek to see the B's and/or Monarchs semi-regularly. That situation features prominently on my own little "list" with BS35+3, so let's get that fixed, Mr. Been There Done That:

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl...NEWS/151009674
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Once the seating issue was resolved, the game was enjoyable. Love the new video board and I think that as the season progresses, things will get better. I didn't note any embarrassing "kiss cam" or other gimmicks. Was impressed with Quast in the second half of the game. Liked the vigor with which the team came out in the third, wish that had been the case the whole game, however, it is early in the season. Overall, hopeful for a good/exciting season (except, of course, against BU).

Comment

Working...
                                X