Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part One) - Return of the "Champions of December"??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part One) - Return of the "Champions of December"??

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

(1) Has it been quiet on the recruiting front since Coach Souza's arrival, or is it just my imagination?
    Definitely more quiet than the past 4 years. In part a product of the glut of forwards Borek brought in so that we are pretty full until 2018. At this point, in the US market, they have lost most of the current top 1999s and 2000s, so there is little incentive for commiting "early" for 2018. Not missing the Borek bringing in a "unknown potential" kid every month.

(2) Considering a couple of Borek's future recruits have decommitted at UNH and followed/plan to follow him to Providence, but there is no news of any UConn decommits following Souza to UNH ... what do we make of that? Did Luce Canaan put strings on letting Souza leave, while Coach Umile didn't put any strings on Borek's departure?
    Is it just a case of players getting a chance at a re-do, and opting to take a shot at playing for the D-1 champs?

Or is it just another confirmation of Coach Borek's magnetic recruiting personality?

Too early to tell. Sure is an interesting contrast. Wonder why the UNH recruits were not tied more to Umile than Borek? Hard to figure, maybe someone could offer a theory
    I have a really hard time trying to evaluate Souza's involvemnt in U.Conn recruiting.

I have to believe UNH not getting U.Conn recruits is more a function of Umile's black and white thinking. The only decommit he has ever taken is Brian Pouliot. (We're also the only Div. I team never to have a European) While the practice of decommitments is becoming rampant, we do not access that pool of players, as he seems to think is is some sort of moral failing/lack of commitment that disqualifies the player.

Now, reading more tea leaves, U.Conn got a top 2000 in Drew Elser just after Souza left (was hoping maybe a young assistant would be able to tell Farabee and Elser that they could be his first line in the new era). Seems he saw U.Conn as a more attractive future. That would not have been a "de-commitment" -- did Cavanaugh insist that Souza not recruit any kids he had recruited for U.Conn?

I know it's early in the "transition", but something just doesn't seem right to me with any of this ...
    Quiet sure raises questions, but nothing that a foundational recruit couldn't fix. If that is going on behind the scenes, I'm OK with that. At this point they are bolloxed-up until 2018 by Borek taking the good players, and leaving behind a lot of his mistakes. So, Souza should have a list of USA top 2001s and Canadian 1999s, 2000s that he is working on getting to be "his" guys in re-building the program. I'd rather have 3 top kids than 6 volume kids.

Given the inability to get any of USA's 1999s and 2000s, they can either wait to see if unheralded USA kids develop (like Karashuk did for U.Conn), which means there is no rush, or they are going to Western Canada. That is not a Souza strength.

It may be that Souza has weak connections to Western Canada, and so Stewart had to introduce him to the potential recruits -- the introduction tour, so to speak.

Of course, if this is them trying to get up to speed because Borek was the only connection to potential recruits and took the rolodex, or because of the limited appeal to the "We don't know who you would play for when you arrive in 2018-2019, but I have a really good chance of being Head Coach in three years when the Coach may relinquish the reigns" salespitch, then.....

But ending on a positive note, perhaps in the next two weeks we hear UNH has gotten Brandon Biro, Ian Mitchell, Jordan Sahdu, Griffen Mendel, Brett Stapley and Jake Harrison. I'd shut up then.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 10-23-2015, 09:56 AM.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part One) - Return of the "Champions of December"??

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      (2) Considering a couple of Borek's future recruits have decommitted at UNH and followed/plan to follow him to Providence, but there is no news of any UConn decommits following Souza to UNH ... what do we make of that?
      Its becomes clearer each passing week that Umile is very - if not completely - detached from the recruiting process, while Cavanaugh is clearly heavily involved at UConn. Umile could have asked/told Borek not to poach UNH recruits, but that would only keep them from Providence and not from decommitting. The recruits at UConn have a relationship with the head coach that is strong enough to withstand the loss of assistance. At UNH, they clearly have not had that...

I am always wary of coach in waiting designations. I've always thought the jobs should be open searches to find the strongest candidate pool and make the best choice. If Souza is all but a shoo-in, I sure hope they are right about him...

I went to Miami OH when Ben Roethlisberger was quarterback of the football team and Wally Szerbiak had just finished his sweet 16 run with the basketball team. The basketball coach hung on forever and squandered the program prestige, leaving the team in the terrible shape its been in the last few years (Sound familliar)?

More relevantly, the football coach - Terry Hoepner - left for Indiana, turning the job over - within 12 hours - to his coach in waiting, Shane Montgomery. Montgomery was AWFUL - despite having two NFL QB's after BR (Josh Betts & Zac Dysert, both of whom, ironically, backed up Peyton Manning in Indy & Denver respectively) - and ran the program into the ground (ie. winless seasons). Except for one year, when they came out of nowhere to win the MAC under Mike Heywood, Miami Football has never recovered from its decision to simply hand the reigns to Montgomery...

The bright side of the above, for all of us UNH fans, is the AD who presided over both of these scenarios is Brad Bates, currently AD of Boston College!
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Trying not to overload the thread this morning, but I can't pass up on this gem, gleaned from the seacoastonline.com website this morning regarding salaries and bonuses to the top earners at UNH:

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl...NEWS/151029610

Top earners in UNH Administration in 2015

Name Title Salary Bonus Total

Mark Huddleston President $395,000 $107,800 $502,800
        Deborah Dutton Cox Vice President of Advancement $310,000 $20,000 $330,000
        Sean McDonnell Head Football Coach $265,000 $65,000 $330,000
        Lisa MacFarlane Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs $310,000
        Christopher Clement Vice President of Finance Administration $300,000
        Deborah Merrill-Sands Dean of Paul College $285,000
        Samuel Mukasa Dean of College of Engineering $256,920
        Jordan Budd Dean of UNH Law School $255,000
        Dick Umile Head Hockey Coach $248,240
        Harlan Spence Director of the Institute of Earth, Oceans and Space $247,200

Just a few random thoughts (after getting past the fact that our VP of Advancement is an absolute cougar ) ... whither BS35+3, are we to assume he is lurking just below the Top Ten? All of that mega-experience has probably taught him to try his best to avoid being on lists like this one as a lowly AD (although two of "his guys" are on it) ... and Coach Umile, once well-publicized as the top paid State of NH employee overall, has fallen all the way down to #9 at UNH alone. Maybe he's trying to follow BS35+3's low-profile example?

Now those are what I'd call some "cool stats", HR ...
        Yea suppose the stats are cool but the cougar comment? Not so much 😳 😉
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-23-2015, 07:10 PM.
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Its becomes clearer each passing week that Umile is very - if not completely - detached from the recruiting process, while Cavanaugh is clearly heavily involved at UConn. Umile could have asked/told Borek not to poach UNH recruits, but that would only keep them from Providence and not from decommitting. The recruits at UConn have a relationship with the head coach that is strong enough to withstand the loss of assistance. At UNH, they clearly have not had that...

I am always wary of coach in waiting designations. I've always thought the jobs should be open searches to find the strongest candidate pool and make the best choice. If Souza is all but a shoo-in, I sure hope they are right about him...

I went to Miami OH when Ben Roethlisberger was quarterback of the football team and Wally Szerbiak had just finished his sweet 16 run with the basketball team. The basketball coach hung on forever and squandered the program prestige, leaving the team in the terrible shape its been in the last few years (Sound familliar)?

More relevantly, the football coach - Terry Hoepner - left for Indiana, turning the job over - within 12 hours - to his coach in waiting, Shane Montgomery. Montgomery was AWFUL - despite having two NFL QB's after BR (Josh Betts & Zac Dysert, both of whom, ironically, backed up Peyton Manning in Indy & Denver respectively) - and ran the program into the ground (ie. winless seasons). Except for one year, when they came out of nowhere to win the MAC under Mike Heywood, Miami Football has never recovered from its decision to simply hand the reigns to Montgomery...

The bright side of the above, for all of us UNH fans, is the AD who presided over both of these scenarios is Brad Bates, currently AD of Boston College!
          Agreed on the "coach in waiting" concerns, but if the team misses the NCAAs the next three years and there are not any blue chippers recruited for the 2018-2019 season, no way any of these three coaches stay, right?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Yea suppose the stats are cool but the cougar comment? Not so much ��
            A nice woman who is quite good at her job based on results so far. She is a graduate of U Maine Orono.
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

you are right Snively ........

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                A nice woman who is quite good at her job based on results so far. She is a graduate of U Maine Orono.
                We can forgive her that... She's a class act (as you know) who definitely earns her keep. Her compensation is a drop in the bucket compared to where development has gone during the past few years.
                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Hey Watcher... Can't we please count the Belgrade-born Savo Mitrovic??? 😆

(Yes, I know he was more Canuck than Serb, but....)

Comment

'Cats up 3-1 after 1 in Amherst....

Meanwhile, the Mack and Lowell managed a total of 7 SOG in the 1st of their matchup. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                      Hey Watcher... Can't we please count the Belgrade-born Savo Mitrovic??? 😆
                      No, because then we'd have to count Gordie Clark as being Scotish.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

And now the Captain scores his first of the season! 4-1. Potu has a goal and two assists.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                          And now the Captain scores his first of the season! 4-1. Potu has a goal and two assists.
                          Sweet!!! Driving and listening... Go 'Cats!!!

Comment

Correale with a hat trick!! 5-1. Kelleher with 4 assists. Line has 10 points!

8 minutes left in 2nd.

Past 10pm down here - time for some zzzz's. I think we have this one in hand.

Comment

Holy cow Corealle with the Hattie!!

Comment

Miller. 6-1. 5 to go in 2nd. Okay, now I really am going to sleep.

Comment

Working...
                                X