LSSU Lakers 2015-16: The 50th season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2015-16: The 50th season

The Lakers are in the midst of the toughest part of the schedule of the season. I knew it was going to be really tough especially with both Tech and Mankato red hot right now. The poor home ice record is really starting to hurt right now.
    Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 02-06-2016, 12:06 AM.
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
      The Lakers are in the midst of the toughest part of the schedule of the season. I knew it was going to be really tough especially with both Tech and Mankato red hot right now. The poor home ice record is really starting to hurt right now.
      And Bemidji is playing much better now than when we beat them earlier in the season at their place. The Lakers need to at least split with them next weekend in the Soo. A win at Tech today would be great; even a tie would be helpful in the standings. If they can get the first goal of the game, it would be a big boost to their confidence and give them a better chance at getting points.

Comment

When half your team is good as in goal tending and defense and half your team is horribly bad as in offense, winning becomes such a huge struggle as you just wear down your defense and goalie week in and week out .

Comment

Max Humitz has been traded from Muskegon (8th place in Eastern Conference of the USHL) to Tri-City (2nd place team in Western Conference). He picked up a goal in his first game with Tri-City last night.

Comment

Former Michigan Tech assistant Bill Muckalt is the Head Coach at Tri-City. He and Whitten worked together under Pearson. That may help the development process for that prospect into the type of player Whitten is trying to groom.

Comment

What happened with Globke towards the end of the game? I seen the box score he got a game DQ for abuse of officials. Obviously he won't be playing next Friday, possibly more.

Edit: I seen Henke got a game DQ as well. Good grief!
              Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 02-06-2016, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                What happened with Globke towards the end of the game? I seen the box score he got a game DQ for abuse of officials. Obviously he won't be playing next Friday, possibly more.
                Not sure exactly. Crawford had mentioned earlier in the 3rd that Globke was headed to the dressing room, with the trainer and not the equipment manager, so it sounds like it was injury related and not equipment related. Anyway Crawford said Globke was very upset and yelling back at the refs when he was headed to the dressing room. Presumably one of the Tech players did something to Globke that the refs missed and Globke definitely wasn't happy about it. Since he did come back to play, it probably wasn't a serious injury. He no doubt was frustrated and still pi**ed at the refs and let it get to him late in the game. Must have said something to the refs that they obviously didn't like. Damon wasn't happy with him in the brief post game chat with Crawford and said it was unacceptable; it hurt the team. Damon also said pretty much the same thing about Henke for his major penalty although he did say he still needed to see the tape; but my impression is that he must have seen enough of it to suspect it was a good call since he said that also was unaccetable and hurt the team. Damon and the coaches didn't like the major call against Hults, but again he said he wanted to see the tape of it. He said it looked like the refs intitially didn't call anything but then got together and not only called a penalty after the fact but a major one; sounded like maybe the Laker coaches thought the Tech bench talked the refs into it. Will probably know more on Monday's Hockey Show. If after seeing the tape Damon changes his mind and agrees with the Hults call, I think he'll say so. And if he still disagrees, he'll say that also.

Edit: One other point. These were the same refs as we had for the BG series a month ago and neither the Lakers nor BG (including the coaches) were happy with the officiating that weekend. Could be that something happened that weekend related to Globke and the refs that carried over to tonight.
                Last edited by Bill; 02-06-2016, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Max Vallis lost two teeth and needed stitches with the Henke hit. Pretty sure the call was warranted.
                  I have to agree with Whitten on the first major call, although I didn't see the Contact to the Head incident. Huskies Radio PBP noted that there was no penalty indicated prior to the dead play discussion. A major after the discussion seems to go from one extreme to the other, which I disagree with on its face.

Bill - Your edit makes sense as to why this game was out of control in the 3rd period and the pent up frustration.
                  Last edited by HuskyNation; 02-06-2016, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyNation View Post
                    Former Michigan Tech assistant Bill Muckalt is the Head Coach at Tri-City. He and Whitten worked together under Pearson. That may help the development process for that prospect into the type of player Whitten is trying to groom.
                    Humitz is a small guy but is supposed to be a very good skater. Damon wants tihe Lakers to play more uptempo, so yes skating ability is very important and it's likely that Muckalt recognizes that in Humitz and can help him develop.
                    Last edited by Bill; 02-06-2016, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Max Vallis lost two teeth and needed stitches with the Henke hit. Pretty sure the call was warranted.
                      I have to agree with Whitten on the first major call, although I didn't see the Contact to the Head incident. Huskies Radio PBP noted that there was no penalty indicated prior to the dead play discussion. A major after the discussion seems to go from one extreme to the other, which I disagree with on its face.

Bill - Your edit makes sense as to why this game was out of control in the 3rd period and the pent up frustration.
                      Hults is also a pretty big guy so it's easier for the refs to make that kind of call on him even if it isn't warranted.

Comment

Henke's deserved 5. Hults should have probably just been a minor.

What I don't understand is the league head says they want hits like these to be called game misconducts, and they will decide in league office whether to add suspensions. I consistently see DQ's called in recent games.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post

What I don't understand is the league head says they want hits like these to be called game misconducts, and they will decide in league office whether to add suspensions. I consistently see DQ's called in recent games.
                          I think that's part of the reason why league coaches aren't happy with the reffing.

Comment

Nice to see Damon ****ed off at Henke and Globke. Unacceptable for both of them getting DQs. I could see Henke possibly getting an additional game suspension from the league.
                            Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 02-07-2016, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                              Henke's deserved 5. Hults should have probably just been a minor.

Lately, WI and MI have been the culprits.

Can I ask a for a short summary as to the reasons for the DQs? Thanks!
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Alabama is in last place and they still have 15 more goals than the lakers. With the six seniors leaving, and they have scored a total of four goals , maybe Whitten can start bringing in some quality goal scorers now. This 20 year drought of poor scoring has to come to an end .

Comment

Working...
                                X