Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2015-16: The 50th season

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    So sad to see how far Globke has fallen since his freshman year. Does he just not fit in Damon's system?
    I would like to believe that he does. Dare I say, some of those from last year who did not return likely left due to not fitting in to the system. If Globke were not a good fit for the new system, I feel as though the coaching staff would have served notice.

As for missing the last three games, didn't Bill Crawford say during the NMU games that he suffered an injury during practice?
    Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

• Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
      I would like to believe that he does. Dare I say, some of those from last year who did not return likely left due to not fitting in to the system. If Globke were not a good fit for the new system, I feel as though the coaching staff would have served notice.

As for missing the last three games, didn't Bill Crawford say during the NMU games that he suffered an injury during practice?
      Torrel is the player that suffered the injury in practice. But Globke did get hurt in the Friday Nmu game. I think he took a but end to his ribs or abdomen.
      BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
        Torrel is the player that suffered the injury in practice. But Globke did get hurt in the Friday Nmu game. I think he took a but end to his ribs or abdomen.
        Any update on Globke's status on this evening's Laker Hockey Show?
        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
          Any update on Globke's status on this evening's Laker Hockey Show?
          It sounded like he was a little banged up but has been cleared to play. Damon also said there were things (he didn't mention specifics) they wanted him to work on as well. He likely will see some action this weekend.
          Last edited by Bill; 10-26-2015, 08:00 PM.

Comment

It will definitely be interesting what Damon will do with the goaltending this weekend. Both Gordie and Nick played well last weekend against the Spartans. It's nice to see Gordie finally getting some competition in net which hopefully will make him better in the process.
            LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

On the Laker Hockey Show last night, with Bill Crawford, head coach Damon Whitten said that Globke has had an injury the past few games and he should be in the lineup this weekend. In case you missed the show, no need to worry, you can hear the podcast of the Hour long show, each and every week at http://lakers.sovcomm.net/. Coach Whitten, Metro and Holewa are interviewed as well as the players.

Don't forget more Bill and Damon on Wednesday, with the brand new show, Laker Talk, on ESPN Radio 1400 at 8:30 a.m. http://stream.1400espn.net/ and tonite the Hockey North Show, with Randy Russon, at 5 p.m. on ESPN Radio 1400.

Also go to www.hockeynewsnorth.com to check out Randy's latest article on the 8 leagues he covers, including the WCHA and the hockey Lakers. http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com/ohl/around-the-rinks/
              Last edited by LakerBaker; 10-27-2015, 09:30 AM.

Comment

This morning on Eagle 95.1 coach Rich Metro joined us to talk Laker Hockey.

http://paul.30below.com/Soo%20Mornin...U%20Hockey.MP3

Comment

Having a warm cup of coffee, and going to listen to Laker Talk, with the Voice of the Lakers Bill Crawford and Lake Superior State University hockey coach Damon Whitten on ESPN 1400 Radio http://stream.1400espn.net/ at 8:30 a.m. Bill and Damon will be talking about last weekend's split at Michigan State and preview this week's games in the 30 minute show.

Lake Superior State hosts the eighth annual Pink in the Rink this weekend when the Lakers play Alabama-Huntsville Friday and Saturday at Taffy Abel Arena. The series is the Western Collegiate Hockey Association opener for the Lakers this season.

Friday night's game is scheduled for 7:37 p.m., and Saturday's game begins at 7:07 p.m. Both games will be broadcast live on YES FM 99.5 with the legendary Bill Crawford doing play-by-play. The doors officially open for Pink in the Rink at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at the Norris Center.

The Lakers (2-4-0, 0-0-0 WCHA) return home for their first full weekend of games at Taffy Abel Arena. They face a Chargers team that tied with the Lakers for eighth place in last year's league standings.

The Chargers (1-2-1 overall, 0-1-1 WCHA) tied Alaska-Anchorage 3-3 last Friday night before falling to the Seawolves 3-2 in the series finale Saturday.

Last week the Lakers earned a split in East Lansing, Mich. They defeated Michigan State 4-2 in the series opener Thursday before falling victim to a 2-0 shutout Friday night.

"It was a nice victory for us on Thursday but I didn't think it was our best weekend of hockey," said head coach Damon Whitten of the series split with the Spartans (2-3-1). "I thought we looked fatigued on Friday and maybe a little worn out from the road matchup. We need to make sure we can finish periods and finish weekends."

Sophomore goaltender Gordon Defiel (1-3-0) looked sharp in earning his first win of the season Thursday night. Defiel made 29 saves and gave up two goals to earn the victory. Freshman Nick Kossoff looked sharp Friday night and provided the Lakers a chance for the sweep. Kossoff made 28 saves while allowing a pair of goals, but was ultimately out-dueled by the senior Jake Hildebrand, who made 21 saves.

Freshmen Gage Torrel (2-3--5) and Mitch Hults (3-1--4) continued to display their offensive prowess during the series opener. Torrel scored an empty-net goal late in the game, and Hults picked up an assist on a short-handed go-ahead goal scored by Bryce Schmitt (1-0--1).

Other newcomers to register goals at MSU were J.T. Henke (2-2--4) and C.J. Hayes (2-1--3). Hayes scored the game-winning goal, and Henke opened the scoring for the Lakers and later assisted on Hayes' goal.

"J.T. has been very good for us and one of our point leaders this year," said Whitten. "He's a tremendously skilled player and I thought that pass he made on C.J.'s goal was a unique play. He's certainly the most able passer I have ever had a chance to coach. The windows and lanes he creates with his passing are something really special."

The Lakers have improved their scoring average this season, as well as limited their goals against. So far, the Lakers are scoring 2.33 goals per game, up from a conference-worst 1.58 in 2014-15. The Lakers are also limiting opponents to 3.17 goals allowed, compared to 3.45 in 2014-15.

Last season the Lakers and Chargers met four times with the Chargers coming away with the overall advantage, 2-1-1. Defiel earned his first career shutout, and Schmitt scored a power-play goal to push the Lakers to the 1-0 win in Huntsville. The Chargers took the split at home with a 5-2 victory the following evening.

When the teams met last February, with conference tournament berths on the line, the teams tied 1-1 during the opener before the Chargers won the final game 3-1. Junior Gus Correale (0-2--2) scored both of the Lakers' goals during the weekend series.

The Chargers are led by junior goaltender Carmine Guerriero, who enters his third season with a career .917 saves-percentage and 3.07 goals-against average. Guerriero has seen his saves percentage dip to .892 so far this season but has limited opposing teams to 2.96 goals per contest.

"They're certainly known by their goaltending and Carmine Guerriero, who's had a great previous two years there at UAH," said Whitten. "I don't really like that we're probably getting an angry Carmine Guerriero this weekend after a WCHA series opener in Huntsville that they're probably not happy with. So that's going to be a huge test.

"We can't allow him to see pucks, and we need to get some traffic in front of Carmine. If he can see the puck he's going to make easy saves."

A top line of Brennan Saulnier (4-3--7), Max McHugh (3-3--6) and Chad Brears (1-4--5) leads a Chargers squad up front that is producing three goals per game, up from 1.63 goals per game last season. Saulnier is currently tied with five others for the league's lead in points, while also leading the WCHA with a 1.75 points-per-game clip.

"They're a hard working team if you look at their top line. They're all over a point per game, so I think it's crucial being back home. Hopefully we can get the right people against their top line to shut them down," continued Whitten. "They're in the third year of a rebuild there and it's starting to show. They're a hard working team, and we need to be prepared to match their work ethic and tenacity."

This year's Pink in the Rink has a Halloween theme, including a kids' party with tons of candy and games, and a costume contest for adults and kids. The event also includes the traditional pink jersey auction, silent auction, basket raffle with more than a dozen prizes valued at $200 or more, and plenty of pink-themed foods and gifts.

The prize baskets and silent auction items include jersey signed by Red Wings head coach and Sault Ste. Marie native Jeff Blashill and other Red Wings memorabilia, an all-access Laker Hockey fan experience and a catered dinner at LSSU President Tom Pleger's house. Other prize packages include lawn care/snow removal, kids winter fun with a snowboard, jewelry, camping, animal care room makeover and kids travel packages.

Fans can purchase Pink in the Rink apparel and raffle tickets during Friday's game. The doors officially open for Pink in the Rink and Laker volleyball's "Dig Pink" event at 3:30 p.m. Saturday.

More than $125,000 of Pink in the Rink proceeds have been donated back to the community during one of LSSU's biggest community-wide events of the year. This year, the Lakers look forward to helping War Memorial Hospital promote its new oncology unit. Dr. Belisario Arango will be on hand for the ceremonial opening drop of the puck prior to Saturday's game.

Listen to Coaches Corner on 1230 WSOO http://www.1230wsoo.com/ on Saturday morning at 11, from Applebee's with David "The Professor" Watson as he will have interviews with the coaches and be talking about Friday night's LSSU game.

Let's pack the Taffy this weekend for Pink in the Rink. Ringy Dingy
                  Last edited by LakerBaker; 10-28-2015, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBaker View Post

Freshmen Gage Torrel (2-3--5) and Mitch Hults (3-1--4) continued to display their offensive prowess during the series opener. Torrel scored an empty-net goal late in the game, and Hults picked up an assist on a shart-handed go-ahead goal scored by Bryce Schmitt (1-0--1).
                    Geez, I hope he washed his hands with antibacterial soap after that.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                      Geez, I hope he washed his hands with antibacterial soap after that.
                      LOL.... Awesome.

Comment

Lake Superior State is partnering with War Memorial Hospital during the 2015 Pink in the Rink and looks forward to helping WMH promote its new oncology unit.

The eighth annual Pink in the Rink begins at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at the Norris Center. Dr. Belisario Arango, MD, head of oncology at WMH, will drop the puck prior to Saturday’s hockey game between LSSU and Alabama-Huntsville, which begins at 7:07 p.m.

“This cancer center is a significant upgrade for our community,” said Arango, who has lived in Sault Ste. Marie for 15 months. “Our capacity to take care of patients, administer targeted treatments such as immune therapy, monoclonal antibodies and chemotherapy, is much enhanced. This is bringing our facility up to date.”

In December, War Memorial open its doors to the new Cancer Care Unit, where Arango will be backed by his dedicated team, providing a welcoming, comfortable environment for all patients, and their families. Patients will receive comprehensive care in one location - lab work, chemotherapy, and other infusions and procedures, all while offering more privacy. The new area, located in the WMH Medical Office Building, on the corner of Spruce Street and Osborn Boulevard will increase the capacity to provide high quality cancer care. It will provide 15 treatment stations and private rooms for immune compromised patients.

Fundraising efforts are underway for the project, which will cost approximately $600,000. CEO David Jahn shared his appreciation, “We want to thank everyone for the support they have already shown for the project. War Memorial Hospital is proud to be a part of our community and be able to provide cancer care right here, close to home. Patients and their families should not have the added burden of traveling for life-saving care.”

Arango has taken part in a handful of community events, including last weekend’s “Tackle Cancer,” since moving to Sault Ste. Marie and appreciates Laker Hockey giving him a vehicle to share his message. During his short time in the Sault, he has quickly embraced its passion for hockey. He expressed that he is humbled and thrilled to be given a key role in Pink in the Rink.

“This shows the core sense of the people in the U.P.,” he said. “They are proud of their independence and look after themselves. This event demonstrates the character of the community.”

LSSU’s Pink in the Rink has raised more than $125,000 for local health and wellness organizations during the past seven years. Fund-raising efforts focus on the fight against cancer, particularly breast cancer, but help a wide range of groups through a grant process run by the Chippewa County Community Foundation. This year’s Pink in the Rink includes the traditional pink-themed jerseys and items for sale, high-dollar raffle prizes and silent auction items, and a Halloween party for kids.

Great things are going on at Lake Superior State University, that is more than just wins and losses.

Comment

Conference play finally starts this weekend. Let's hope the Lakers get off to a good start. I'm planning on making my first trip up of the season and am anxious to see the new guys play.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulVanWagoner View Post
                            Glad to see you've come around to the Good side. Especially since it wasn't that long ago you posted this.

"Originally Posted by LakerBaker View Post
                            *This coach won 8 of 36 games this season, half the total from last season.

*Out of 36 games this season, the Lakers scored one goal or less in 21 of those 36.

* The Lakers scored 2 goals or less in 27 games for the season.

*No other team had more losses in the nation that Lake Superior State.

*Power play last in the nation all year long.

*All other stats last or near last in the league and the nation.

*Attendance was as low as it has ever been for the season, with fewer fans attending games this season in recent memory.

*For his career, Mr. Witten has won 86 out of 298 games as either head or assistant coach with LSSU, Michigan Tech, Alaska Anchorage, and Wayne State (video taping doesn't count)

What I'm saying here is this guy didn't have a record of accomplishment on his resume, and certainly hasn't helped his situation or this team in one year with their record on the ice, and his constant complaining off it and in interviews. All one has to do is go to the podcasts of the Laker Hockey Show or listen to his interviews after the game, where he, at times sounds snide and certainly unprofessional complaining about officials.

Maybe everything will come together and the Lakers will have a great weekend, or maybe next year with his system and a few more recruits it will start to take shape, or maybe in a few years once he fully gets the chance.

After one regular season, I certainly have my doubts!"

It appears he is trying to at least sarcasticly be supportive...

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                              Conference play finally starts this weekend. Let's hope the Lakers get off to a good start. I'm planning on making my first trip up of the season and am anxious to see the new guys play.

I hope you make it Bill, the whole team has really been impressive this season.
                              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                                I hope you make it Bill, the whole team has really been impressive this season.
                                I won't be making the trip this weekend after being at the last couple of series. Really glad that they now have Crawford calling the game on the video feed. It was tough to follow who was on the ice for both teams when they were not using his feed the last couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                                X