• Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey 2015-2016: Confection Free

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/womens...lying-veterans

Go Gophers!
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I thought Meetz played a great game. (Despite, as I see now, she was the one that let Nurse get behind her for the fateful breakaway in OT!)

Also, that game made me think about Potomak's learning curve. I'm hoping Wisconsin took her to school in the best way. Things that normally work don't work against Wisconsin and this series could be really good for her. Maybe even from yesterday to today she could pick up a thing or two, but definitely heading into the second half.
      Last edited by KTDC; 12-05-2015, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
        I thought Meetz played a great game. (Despite, as I see now, she was the one that let Nurse get behind her for the fateful breakaway in OT!)
        yes she did

although I don't think "let" is the proper word
        that is something the Gophers have done all year, against other teams they have mostly gotten away with it
        but against a team like WI you are going to get burned eventually
        it is something that was happening all game

Comment

A hearty congratulations to the Gophers for a streak of 16-0-2 against Wisconsin. Another of their tremendous achievements the last few years. Maybe even their most amazing achievement!

I'd rather lose the first meeting of the year than the last

Back to work Gophers and good luck in today's game!!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
            A hearty congratulations to the Gophers for a streak of 16-0-2 against Wisconsin. Another of their tremendous achievements the last few years. Maybe even their most amazing achievement!

I'd rather lose the first meeting of the year than the last

Back to work Gophers and good luck in today's game!!
            Well said. Now that the streak is over it will be very interesting to see how they react today.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Well said. Now that the streak is over it will be very interesting to see how they react today.
              I was thinking the same thing about the Badger girls; now that they've 'broken through', does doing it again become that much easier?

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Nothing to lose? The Gophers will be in the Froz4 almost no matter what. Yes, they are still that talented. So at this point, a single win or loss in Madison really doesn't mean anything.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Nothing to lose? The Gophers will be in the Froz4 almost no matter what. Yes, they are still that talented. So at this point, a single win or loss in Madison really doesn't mean anything.
                  They like to win the conference. An annual team goal. A loss today would be a pretty significant blow to that objective.

How they respond today, win or lose, more important in a bigger picture kind of way. Frost mentioned the importance of taking advantage of any PP in pre-game discussion. Certainly very true in this match-up I would say.

Go Gophers!
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                    I was thinking the same thing about the Badger girls; now that they've 'broken through', does doing it again become that much easier?
                    I don't think it makes it easier, just different. Now they don't have to keep answering questions why they can't beat the Gophers or how no current player had ever beaten Minnesota. That had to be a pain in the a-- to keep dealing with.

Comment

As I expected, the penalty kill was fine once we got to a big game. I really just have three concerns coming out of this weekend:

1) As was pointed out on the series thread, Leveille left a lot of bad rebounds. Wisconsin didn't cash any of them in, but they were there. It's not a new issue, but it could bite us.

2) The Badgers jumped all over our very slow developing breakouts. By the third period today, the Gophers seemed more focused on moving the puck quickly and not just standing behind the net waiting for Wisconsin to get their forecheck set up. That forecheck just killed us for two periods. That slow, deliberate breakout works well against teams that are laying back and trying to trap us, but more and more teams are figuring out to bring pressure and we haven't come up with a good response yet.

3) More on Friday than today, there were a number of times when the puck floated out into empty space and no one went to get it. I've long thought there are times that Minnesota players wait for the puck to get to them rather than going and getting it, and Wisconsin was too fast and aggressive for that to work.

On the whole, though, I feel a lot better about our chances in the rematches at Ridder than I did after today's second period.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post

2) The Badgers jumped all over our very slow developing breakouts. By the third period today, the Gophers seemed more focused on moving the puck quickly and not just standing behind the net waiting for Wisconsin to get their forecheck set up. That forecheck just killed us for two periods. That slow, deliberate breakout works well against teams that are laying back and trying to trap us, but more and more teams are figuring out to bring pressure and we haven't come up with a good response yet.
                        the WI forecheck, two words:

Rachael Ramsey

that's the difference between this year and the last two

also, hopefully BrokenOne will not make a bold prediction of Maryanne Menefee being in uniform after the winter break

they could have used a player like her this weekend, and her experience may have been the difference
                        she has certainly had success against them in the past
                        Last edited by pokechecker; 12-06-2015, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Haven't been to the Roseville rink in a couple years. Is the parking still grossly inadequate?
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                            Haven't been to the Roseville rink in a couple years. Is the parking still grossly inadequate?
                            Don't know how long it has been for you. There is parking now on the north side of the building in addition to the original parking lot on the south side. Also after business hours you can usually park in the City Hall parking lot across the street. When they get a close to capacity crowd (for example when the Ponies come to town) the parking is still inadequate but I don't think it is "grossly" inadequate any more.
                            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                              Yes, yes it is. In addition it is one of a handful of High School rinks worse than Braemar for enjoying a game. If e get the packed house they got last year in Edina that will be good but get there extra early knowing parking will be a hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                                In addition it is one of a handful of High School rinks worse than Braemar for enjoying a game.
                                I've never had any problem enjoying a game there if the product on the ice is good. So many of these HS rinks come with so much history when you think of all the great players and teams that have played there and all the memorable games. IMO, it's a fun change of pace.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X