Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of North Dakota-2015-2016-Seaason

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Is the anywhere the rest of the nation can see the results?
    Nope. The results are being kept secret and will be announced at the Playboy Mansion by Hugh Saturday night.
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Please be the Nodaks.
      You hope for NoDaks to be UND's nickname, I hoped that the gophers would be the worst team in college hockey... We will have to wait on the nickname but at least one of our wishes has come true.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
        You would say that, of course. Tundrabillies would be better.
        To be honest the nickname should have been left alone and I hope the majority of the true fans (the ones whose interest in the matter wasn't due to PC bs) get to lead the charge. My comment though was because I know that if the local gopher population rose up and forced the U to change the name that I'd never vote for, "Minnesotans" as a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          To be honest the nickname should have been left alone and I hope the majority of the true fans (the ones whose interest in the matter wasn't due to PC bs) get to lead the charge. My comment though was because I know that if the local gopher population rose up and forced the U to change the name that I'd never vote for, "Minnesotans" as a replacement.
          Fair enough. In the end, I think it will end up second to Roughriders. There are still too many people around who recall the use of the "Roughrider State" in the '60's and '70's as a sort of unofficial state slogan.

I voted for Nodaks, though. I thought North Stars was too unrelated to North Dakota to even be on the list. I eliminated Sundogs and Fighting Hawks because it's going to be too easy to simply reduce the name (and perhaps mascot) to another dog or bird, and the last thing we need is another University in this country with a dog or bird mascot.

That left the two apparent front-runners. Either will be fine with me, but I went with Nodaks because, a) Roughriders aren't particularly unique, with a local high school and a USHL hockey team, to name two, using the same name, and b) Nodaks is actually the very first name used by UND athletics teams (sort of a going back from whence we came vote).
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
            1 to 2 weeks is what they are saying. Johnson did just fine in his first real action of his college career.
            Coach wasn't very specific this week.
            Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
            Eric's Twitter
            The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

UND Hockey: Matt Hrynkiw Takes over in Net
              Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
              Eric's Twitter
              The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

http://und.edu/news/2015/10/nickname-runoff-vote.cfm

I'm rather annoyed with what UND did with the nickname vote. By changing the rules and allowing three names to be finalists, they've all but guaranteed Fighting Hawks will win. If just Roughriders were moving on, it would have stood a chance, but with Nodaks also advancing neither stands a chance. Those who voted for North Stars and Sundogs will see that Fighting Hawks is the clear leader and will overwhelming throw their support behind that name as they will view voting for either Roughriders or Nodaks as throwing their vote away.
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                  You hope for NoDaks to be UND's nickname, I hoped that the gophers would be the worst team in college hockey... We will have to wait on the nickname but at least one of our wishes has come true.
                  Have you seen Wisconsin lately?
                  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                  Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post

I'm rather annoyed with what UND did with the nickname vote. By changing the rules and allowing three names to be finalists, they've all but guaranteed Fighting Hawks will win. If just Roughriders were moving on, it would have stood a chance, but with Nodaks also advancing neither stands a chance. Those who voted for North Stars and Sundogs will see that Fighting Hawks is the clear leader and will overwhelming throw their support behind that name as they will view voting for either Roughriders or Nodaks as throwing their vote away.
                    How much does one need to donate to vote?
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                      How much does one need to donate to vote?
                      You probably missed it but you could have bought volleyball seaosn tickets. I think it was like 60 bucks.

Fighting Hawks is the dumbest one left, it's even dumber because fans think they'll get a hawk that looks like the old Native American head logo. Sad
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

You guys have a new loser in your midst. Trolling the QU folks. http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...y-begins/page8
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                          You guys have a new loser in your midst. Trolling the QU folks. http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...y-begins/page8
                          Didn't see a Sioux fan in that link.
                          "My greatest achievement."
                          Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                            I'm not sure the "Sioux-per-drunk" guy is necessarily our guy. Certainly could be, as most fan bases have their share of clowns. But neither his name nor his posting generally seems familiar.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post

Most university presidents get a rare opportunity to "leave their mark" so to speak with respect to their tenure at a school. Sometimes its a big fundraising campaign. Or maybe its a move from Division II to Division I in sports.

Kelley has done an extremely poor job on this process, and that's going to be his mark. To those that criticize the choices of names, I say "meh". No name was going to sound great after using Fighting Sioux all these years. They will all sound awkward and strange, and won't flow off the tongue. But that just comes with the territory, and to be candid I've yet to hear someone come forward with a suggestion where most people would just go, "yeah, that's what it should be."

But the names aren't where Kelley has gone wrong. It's the process. The process shouldn't be that hard. Pick some stakeholders to select a couple of options, then put them up for a vote. What he has done now is virtually assured the selection of a name that will be picked only by a plurality of the voters. At least if you get down to two selections, one is guaranteed to receive more than 50% of the vote (short of an unlikely tie), so it at least creates the illusion the name was selected by a majority.

I suppose it's fitting. I for one will be glad when a name is selected and the U and its fans can move on from this nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                Most university presidents get a rare opportunity to "leave their mark" so to speak with respect to their tenure at a school. Sometimes its a big fundraising campaign. Or maybe its a move from Division II to Division I in sports.

Kelley has done an extremely poor job on this process, and that's going to be his mark. To those that criticize the choices of names, I say "meh". No name was going to sound great after using Fighting Sioux all these years. They will all sound awkward and strange, and won't flow off the tongue. But that just comes with the territory, and to be candid I've yet to hear someone come forward with a suggestion where most people would just go, "yeah, that's what it should be."

But the names aren't where Kelley has gone wrong. It's the process. The process shouldn't be that hard. Pick some stakeholders to select a couple of options, then put them up for a vote. What he has done now is virtually assured the selection of a name that will be picked only by a plurality of the voters. At least if you get down to two selections, one is guaranteed to receive more than 50% of the vote (short of an unlikely tie), so it at least creates the illusion the name was selected by a majority.

I suppose it's fitting. I for one will be glad when a name is selected and the U and its fans can move on from this nonsense.
                                ironically, Kelley has seen a very successful fund raising campaign and the move from D2 to D1, but his mark will be the nickname fiasco. I can't imagine how it could have gone so poorly, and I'm afraid it won't end next week. Yikes.
                                Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Working...
                                X