Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2015-16: So here's what we think that we know...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Curious where did Borseth go? Thought he was still at UWGB
    He went to Michigan then returned to UWGB a few years ago.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2015-16: So here's what we think that we know...

Week 20 predictions: http://blog.wchaplayoffs.com/2016/02...w-predictions/

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by net presence View Post
        This, in turn, is leading to (at least in general) very solid success at the gate for most of the NCHC schools.

Yes, I know, some will point to the recent resurgence in attendance at Tech, BGSU, and Mankato since they’ve become the top teams in the conference and say that, even if Duluth were to switch, as long as Duluth continues to win they’ll continue to draw well. I’m not so sure and here’s why – for Tech and BGSU, it had been so long (decades) since they had been truly relevant on the ice, that it’s only natural that their attendance would spike with the recent level of on ice success, regardless of who they’re playing.
        Not exactly.
        Miami State's attendance is not up since joining the Nachos--it ain't brag-worthy, despite the success of the nachos and the shiny arena in Oxford.

BGSU's attendance is up some since the team's near-death experience, but it's not that much more than the CCHA bottomfeeder days as you might think. Winning helps, but the big draws are still vs. the old Ohio/Michigan rivals.
        So no, not really seeing that BGSU's attendance is spiking because of success and regardless of who's playing... Attendance spikes when the old rivals are in the barn.
        Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
          I do know there are schools that rely on businesses and donors to purchase tickets so they can use those numbers towards attendance. They struggle giving those tickets away.
          Eastern is certainly one of those schools. When my sister was attending CMU, she brought that up that oftentimes they invited high school students to the games for free to boost their attendance numbers. I believe at some point (4-5 years ago) they got in trouble with the NCAA for doing that, particularly because of the minimum average attendance for D1 football.

Speaking of nothing above, this was on the USCHO home page earlier, in case you needed a laugh for today: http://www.uscho.com/2016/02/10/big-...-future-plans/
          Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Until the recent budget crisis in the state, I always thought UAA could move to D-I. Their problem is finding a conference.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              Until the recent budget crisis in the state, I always thought UAA could move to D-I. Their problem is finding a conference.
              UAA spends more money on athletics than any other WCHA school sans BGSU, and BGSU is an outlier because they are D1 across the board. I bring this up because I don't think UAA will get through this budget crisis without taking a haircut on athletics.

I don't think it's any secret UAA fancies itself as D1, but making that leap would likely doom you to mediocrity, a la Hawaii, more than anything else. There's just not enough D1 talent in this state to support a full time D1 program and I think recruiting that level of athlete consistently from the lower 48 would be a hard bargain. There's not even enough D1/WHL hockey talent to fully support one D1 hockey program with in-state players, let alone two programs, and we like to brag about being a hockey state.

Anyway, that's not a rivalry talking...just the way I see it.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                I don't think it's any secret UAA fancies itself as D1, but making that leap would likely doom you to mediocrity, a la Hawaii, more than anything else.
                Mid-major D1 is not for the faint of heart. Tough enough to run just your standard mediocre D1 football and hoops programs--throw in hockey and you're at a whole new level of challenge.
                Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

I think overall WCHA attendance is pretty good, but it could be better in places. NMU is only full when Tech is in town, Huntsville is a work in progress and I think it can be pretty good once they get a bit more competitive, UAA needs some more wins. However Mankato is quite good, Bemidji, Tech, Ferris... all very good. I think we can and should all work together to find ways of boosting those teams in need of help.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    I think overall WCHA attendance is pretty good, but it could be better in places. NMU is only full when Tech is in town, Huntsville is a work in progress and I think it can be pretty good once they get a bit more competitive, UAA needs some more wins. However Mankato is quite good, Bemidji, Tech, Ferris... all very good. I think we can and should all work together to find ways of boosting those teams in need of help.
                    NMU averages 2,000, Ferris 1850. And with an enrollment over 14,500, Ferris is the 4th largest school in the WCHA and is over 50% larger than #5 Fairbanks.
                    Last edited by davyd83; 02-12-2016, 09:30 PM.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Final thoughts before the weekend: http://blog.wchaplayoffs.com/2016/02...20-here-we-go/

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Thanks a bunch BGSU. ****ing losers.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

GFM
                            Well that'll make things interesting...
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              Thanks a bunch BGSU. ****ing losers.
                              We deserved that, we sucked.
                              Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

A shocker in Huntsville this weekend as Mankato leaves without a win. Hastings must be fuming.
                                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Working...
                                X