Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2015-16: So here's what we think that we know...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2015-16: So here's what we think that we know...

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    I actually think that adding ASU would REDUCE the typical travel cost for WCHA teams. Adding ASU means that you take the AK / AL trips less frequently (a very % small change, but a change). I don't think any current WCHA program can get to either AK city for less cost than you can get to Phoenix. One flight for pretty much every WCHA team to get to Phoenix except AK schools.
    Ryan J
    That's my working theory for the piece that I'm working on (that Todd Pavlack asked me to do). Why? You also have to consider that the league will want to put in a 12th team, and then it's a matter of who. If it's Robert Morris, that's okay for Ferris and BG, but that's a long bus trip for everyone not in AK, AZ, or MN, who would all presumably fly in such a situation. (Millsy or someone else that remembers the BSU-RMU trips can tell me how they make it.)

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      That's my working theory for the piece that I'm working on (that Todd Pavlack asked me to do). Why? You also have to consider that the league will want to put in a 12th team, and then it's a matter of who. If it's Robert Morris, that's okay for Ferris and BG, but that's a long bus trip for everyone not in AK, AZ, or MN, who would all presumably fly in such a situation. (Millsy or someone else that remembers the BSU-RMU trips can tell me how they make it.)

GFM
      Well I'm back to thinking maybe an airplane leased by the league wouldn't be such a bad idea after all. It's been done by others. Charters are too expensive generally, but if you could get an operator to dedicate an airplane to you for the season it might work.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

GFM
        I'm looking forward to that piece, because I'm not entirely sure ASU is a bad thing for the WCHA, although Drew raises some valid points.

And as a side note, the student athlete that BG called up from the club team is only to be a practice player as he has no eligibility remaining.
        Bringing Back the Glory
        http://www.bgsuhockey.com

Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba!

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          I actually think that adding ASU would REDUCE the typical travel cost for WCHA teams. Adding ASU means that you take the AK / AL trips less frequently (a very % small change, but a change). I don't think any current WCHA program can get to either AK city for less cost than you can get to Phoenix. One flight for pretty much every WCHA team to get to Phoenix except AK schools.
          Ryan J
          There's an ANC to PHX flight. Sucks though, US Airways is terrible.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by bghockeyphotos View Post
            I'm looking forward to that piece, because I'm not entirely sure ASU is a bad thing for the WCHA, although Drew raises some valid points.
            Hopefully I'll have time to pull it off. Next week is my certification week for work, so ... yeah.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              There's an ANC to PHX flight. Sucks though, US Airways is terrible.
              It's American now. Alaska also flies it in the winter but not daily.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                I've been to a few games. They're not bad... but they aren't D1.
                Same reason why we watch Adrian, but will still travel to see D1.
                D3 is good hockey for the most part, just not the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  Double post...so Let's Play Hockey stated that meeting between WCHA and ASU were fruitful. I for the life of me can't really understand the value in this relationship...

For the WCHA, they get what?
                  1) a chance to connect with Alumni in Arizona?
                  2) a chance to add another full D1 member to keep a seat at the table if BGSU chooses to do something?
                  3) Potential games on Pac-12 network with today's announcement: https://t.co/7vsQfrp3qs
                  4) Added travel costs unless they can convince ASU to subsidize like UAA, UA_ and UAH?

For ASU, they get a conference they think they can compete in from the start?
                  If they were really interested in growing hockey interest out West, they would televise all four games of the "Desert Hockey Classic," not just the one ASU game.

Comment

Millsy or someone else that remembers the BSU-RMU trips can tell me how they make it.

GFM
                    I don't think the RMU trips were too bad as I believe there were usually direct flights from MSP (there may have been one bad one but I can't recall the details). But BSU wouldn't always fly out of MSP, they would use Grand Forks from time to time which would add a leg onto any flight. Still gets them to MSP, but cuts two hours and some change off of bus time. Also, a smaller airport, so easier to get a team through security.

A typical flight trip for BSU involves bussing to Grand Forks (two hours) or MSP (four hours) and then catching a flight. Depending on that flight, they may leave Bemidji Wednesday night after classes to catch an early morning flight out of MSP. But in the new WCHA, the only places they fly are Fairbanks, Anchorage and Huntsville. In the CHA it was Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Huntsville, Air Force (when in the league) and Wayne State (when in the league). So the WCHA has cut down on air travel for the Beavers.

Now the UAH trips and Niagara trips, those were the interesting ones as they always involved one or two connections. Tom Serratore always says expect the unexpected going to Huntsville, and it doesn't always have to be about hockey. My most interesting trip personally was coming back from Huntsville once and my flight getting delayed on the way out of Huntsville, so I ended up going Huntsville-Memphis-Cincy-Chicago-Minneapolis-Brainerd. Didn't spend more than 30 minutes in an airport that day once I left Huntsville.
                    Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 11-10-2015, 12:57 PM.
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I wonder if the Beavs will bus down here for Thanksgiving.

Yes, flying from here is strange. I still love my MQT-DTW-BNA-MEM-HSV flight back from the UP on Super Bowl Sunday 2003. I got to BNA about ten minutes after a flight to HSV left; I got home six hours later.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                        I ended up going Huntsville-Memphis-Cincy-Chicago-Minneapolis-Brainerd. Didn't spend more than 30 minutes in an airport that day once I left Huntsville.
                        A real-life Del Griffith...

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                          It's American now. Alaska also flies it in the winter but not daily.
                          Right. Forgot about that merger. Still sucks.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Right. Forgot about that merger. Still sucks.
                            At least you can get Alaska miles and status on AA. That alone makes it a lot more useful to Alaska residents.
                            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Just in case you didn't see this.... Good for the league as a whole for sure.. amazed that our media friends at USCHO didn't pick it up.
                              http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14...overlooked-now
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                Just in case you didn't see this.... Good for the league as a whole for sure.. amazed that our media friends at USCHO didn't pick it up.
                                http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14...overlooked-now
                                Thanks for posting. I hadn't seen it yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X