Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Nanooks 2015-16 Season Thread - Straight Outta Sanction…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmf View Post
    For an excellent write up about the Nooks from RPI, see Know Your Enemy – Alaska.

If that wasn't enough, see Reddit’s 60 Teams in 60 Days – Alaska.
    I have never heard of either restaurants in the reddit review.

Are they any good?
    _AIRBANKS: THE "SPENARD" OF ALASKA.

Originally posted by birdman
    No excuses from UAF fans, UAA beat us.

Comment

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2015-16 Season Thread - Straight Outta Sanction…

Originally posted by UAA08 View Post

Are they any good?
      Salmon Bake is seasonal so only open from May to September. It is kind of useless in the winter time to point out that it is not far from the Carlson but it is located next to Pioneer Park (Alaskaland).

Wolf Run is pretty popular locally. Known for good desserts, I haven't been there but it's what I have heard.

Comment

Originally posted by UAA08 View Post

Are they any good?
        Wolf Run is kind of a hippie joint. Looks like something from Girdwood or Juneau. Good food but you better like quiche. Silver Gulch is my favorite pregame hangout even though it's a little ways from the arena. Hoodoo is probably the best pregame beer joint but they don't have food.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
          Salmon Bake is seasonal so only open from May to September. It is kind of useless in the winter time to point out that it is not far from the Carlson but it is located next to Pioneer Park (Alaskaland).

Wolf Run is pretty popular locally. Known for good desserts, I haven't been there but it's what I have heard.
          Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          Wolf Run is kind of a hippie joint. Looks like something from Girdwood or Juneau. Good food but you better like quiche. Silver Gulch is my favorite pregame hangout even though it's a little ways from the arena. Hoodoo is probably the best pregame beer joint but they don't have food.
          Good dessert and quiche. Sounds like a must try.
          _AIRBANKS: THE "SPENARD" OF ALASKA.

Originally posted by birdman
          No excuses from UAF fans, UAA beat us.

Comment

Congratulations, Colton!

http://m.newsminer.com/sports/nhl/ex....html?mode=jqm
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

From SCSU's Kendal press release:

...UA NOTES: St. Cloud State will resume their series with Alaska at the Kendall Hockey Classic this weekend. The Huskies are 6-6-0 in the all-time series against Alaska, which started in 1980-81...SCSU leads the series during its DI era by a 5-3-0 margin...the last time that SCSU and Alaska have played each other was at the Kendall Hockey Classic on Oct. 7, 2011 (SCSU won that game 4-1 in Sullivan Arena)...prior to the DI era, UA owned a 3-1 series lead over SCSU...Alaska opened their season with 4-0 exhibition win over Mount Royal on Oct. 4 in Fairbanks...UA was led last year by Tyler Morley with 37 points (15g/22a)...in the nets, Davis Jones shared duties and charted a 2.54 GAA and a 9-6-1 record.

Go Nooks!

Comment

From SCSU's Kendal press release:

...UA NOTES: St. Cloud State will resume their series with Alaska at the Kendall Hockey Classic this weekend. The Huskies are 6-6-0 in the all-time series against Alaska, which started in 1980-81...SCSU leads the series during its DI era by a 5-3-0 margin...the last time that SCSU and Alaska have played each other was at the Kendall Hockey Classic on Oct. 7, 2011 (SCSU won that game 4-1 in Sullivan Arena)...prior to the DI era, UA owned a 3-1 series lead over SCSU...Alaska opened their season with 4-0 exhibition win over Mount Royal on Oct. 4 in Fairbanks...UA was led last year by Tyler Morley with 37 points (15g/22a)...in the nets, Davis Jones shared duties and charted a 2.54 GAA and a 9-6-1 record.

Go Nooks!
                They did a nice job summarizing the illustrious history of this matchup.

Comment

Parayko looked good in his first real action in a Blues sweater. He got a lot of ice time in all three phases, took couple of shots (both at the puck, and at some opposing players...). Good to see...

Headed to Anchorage in the morning. Pretty confident in our guys, hoping they can step up and get it done against SCSU. Not that we played poorly, but I would like to see more of a defensive effort. Allowing 37 shots to SCSU isn't going to yield 0 goals against. 'Nooks need to maintain possession, keep it moving, and make smart passes. Dump and chase is necessary at times, but if the guys can get on it and make quick transitions, I don't think SCSU can skate with us...

No idea what to think of ASU, obviously sticking around for the Friday game though so I'll have at least some idea for Saturday.

Bold predictions here....

Friday 3-2 Win
                  Saturday 4-1 Win
                  Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Go Nooks!

And Friday night I’m a Sun Devils fan. Go Sun Devils!

Comment

Go Nooks!

And Friday night I’m a Sun Devils fan. Go Sun Devils!
                      For some reason I'm thinking of Puddy from Seinfeld decked out in (New Jersey) Devils face paint and shouting "DEVILS!!!" to people on the street.

Comment

Other than that Ms. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the hockey games. The process of sorting through 520 Kendall Classic photos looking for Nanook highlights went pretty quick. There were none. But I did throw about 20 random photos of each game on my SmugMug site.
                        UAF vs SCSU
                        UAF vs ASU

Here is a couple photos from each game representing how things went. Hardly Nook highlights. Neither goal tending nor freshmen mistakes were our issue this past weekend. Some of our returning players just didn't bring it. Too much cuteness with the puck and not enough grit. Time to regroup for this coming week end’s Brice Alaska Goal Rush. Don’t count us out yet.

SCSU’s 3rd and final goal, scored in the second. Crap happens.
                        Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

ASU’s break away goal with 34 seconds in the game.

Comment

Recapping our short history at the Kendall worked so well last week, let’s give it another go with this week’s Brice Alaska Goal Rush.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Parayko just scored his first NHL goal!

Comment

Does anyone know if the games will be live on GCI? I know that many Fairbanks games were aired live in the Anchorage area last season. I hope they'll be on TV for all of us not making the trip.
                              Originally Posted by aparch
                              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                Does anyone know if the games will be live on GCI? I know that many Fairbanks games were aired live in the Anchorage area last season. I hope they'll be on TV for all of us not making the trip.
                                Doubtful.

Comment

Working...
                                X