PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State 2015-2016 Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14

pgb-ohio
02-23-2016, 02:36 PM
I've been referring mostly to the forum, but the two are interrelated. Large, excited crowds at the Schott would inevitably lead to more activity here on the board.

klbaum1077
02-23-2016, 04:04 PM
I've been referring mostly to the forum, but the two are interrelated. Large, excited crowds at the Schott would inevitably lead to more activity here on the board.

One way to get better crowds is to get rid of the 630 start on Friday night's. Throw out the Michigan game because they bring a good crowd most times in here. The 630 starts are a pain for me to get here on time.

pgb-ohio
02-23-2016, 09:45 PM
One way to get better crowds is to get rid of the 630 start on Friday night's. Throw out the Michigan game because they bring a good crowd most times in here. The 630 starts are a pain for me to get here on time.Truth.

For the players, coaches and media, the early starts are desirable in some respects. But it's tough on fans attending in person, no doubt about it. Heck, I've been around long enough that I remember when the standard start time was 7:30 PM, not 7:00. Even that change was kind of hard on the fans, and tended to cause late arriving crowds. We may not be NYC or Chicago, but we do have a Friday Evening rush hour here.

I'm sure you know this, but the idea is that a 6:30 Eastern start, paired with an 8:00 Central start, creates a doubleheader for BTN -- with 2.5 hours for the first game. Now to state the obvious, it would be a much better idea on Saturdays. But of course hoops has Saturday locked up...

When this kind of issue arises, I've long wondered if short tape delays wouldn't be a better answer. In this case, you could start the first game at 7PM Eastern, followed by a 8:30PM Central broadcast on a 30 minute delay. I know that the TV people are absolutely obsessed with the idea of live programming. For that reason my suggestion is probably a non-starter. But would it really be that difficult for TV viewers to avoid spoilers if the delay was only 30 minutes?

And it could even be less than that. Most of the time you could start the Game 2 broadcast by 8:20. Why not schedule it that way, and just roll the tape a little later if Game 1 goes to a shootout? Then shave 5 minutes off each intermission. By the end of most games, it could only be a 10 minute difference.

Just a thought.

klbaum1077
02-24-2016, 06:16 PM
Heard we are losing a player or 2 tomorrow

UMICH
02-24-2016, 08:49 PM
One way to get better crowds is to get rid of the 630 start on Friday night's. Throw out the Michigan game because they bring a good crowd most times in here. The 630 starts are a pain for me to get here on time.

Yell at BTN for those...

pgb-ohio
02-24-2016, 08:49 PM
klbaum1077,

Greco, Dalrymple and Lundey will be honored in a Senior Night Ceremony before Saturday night's game. But that doesn't mean we're "losing them tomorrow."

I'm guessing you've heard something less cheerful.:(

Hockeybuckeye
02-25-2016, 06:15 PM
Heard we are losing a player or 2 tomorrow
Any details?

klbaum1077
02-25-2016, 09:10 PM
Any details?

I was sworn to secrecy until its made official

Buckeye22
02-26-2016, 10:11 PM
The last minute heroics are exciting for the fans, but we really shouldn't be tying this team. I think If we come back tomorrow and win on senior night by a few goals most people will forget about tonight, but our inconsistent play this year has really been ridiculous.

osualum86
02-26-2016, 10:40 PM
It was a tough game to watch and once again, this team needs to remember that a hockey game is 60 minutes long, not 20 or 30. Yes, as you correctly stated, we made it exciting, tying the game in the closing minutes, but we shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. Listened to the postgame on the radio on the way home. They said Ohio State is 2-10-1 in Friday games this season. It's just like you said, Buckeye22, if we win tomorrow night and salvage four points out of this weekend (against the last place team in the league), I guess people will forget about tonight's debacle. I honestly cannot figure this team/program out. They can't seem to figure out that they consistently need to play a 60-minute hockey game, and when I listen to the postgame interviews with the coaches, they can't figure out why we are not playing on Friday nights. My thought on that is if our coaching staff is that clueless that they don't know how to fix things, that tells me all I need to know about this coaching staff. Seems to me a certain NHL coach in this town couldn't figure out how to fix things and was gone after an 0-7 start. I guess if you are a men's hockey coach at Ohio State you get an entire season (or three ... or more) to figure things out. I'll end my rant now, but I agree with you, Buckeye22, the inconsistent play this season has been ridiculous, and we had no business tying this team, then losing a shootout. At what point does this program hit rock bottom, where they don't have anywhere to go but up? I think they are close to hitting that now with a home loss to the last-place team in the BIG Ten.

Buckeye22
02-27-2016, 09:48 PM
Well despite our defense's best efforts we came back to win 6-5 tonight. Another late goal saved us. Glad the seniors could go out (out of the Schott at least) with a win. Weis had a really good game with 3 assists. In spite of getting two assists himself, I was kinda disappointed with Gust tonight. He seemed to whiff on a couple of good scoring chances. I'm happy to take the win, but I'm definitely not filled with confidence for our home-and-home next week against Michigan. Also, is there a reason I didn't see Chris Lampasso out there tonight? He played last night.

osualum86
02-28-2016, 09:41 AM
Well despite our defense's best efforts we cam back to win 6-5 tonight. Another late goal saved us. Glad the seniors could go out (out of the Schott at least) with a win. Weis had a really good game with 3 assists. In spite of getting two assists himself, I was kinda disappointed with Gust tonight. He seemed to whiff on a couple of good scoring chances. I'm happy to take the win, but I'm definitely not filled with confidence for our home-and-home next week against Michigan. Also, is there a reason I didn't see Chris Lampasso out there tonight? He played last night.

I have no idea why Lampasso didn't play last night. He played Friday night. I am glad this team got a win on Senior Night, but I have no confidence in them to string together two or more wins in a row, which is precisely what they need to do to win the BIG Ten Tournament and get the league's auto bid to the NCAA Tournament. Guess maybe I have chased some of the other posters off with my negativity, although I don't see it as being negative, I see it as being a realist and not sugarcoating everything like the radio guys and our coaching staff do.

klbaum1077
02-28-2016, 10:10 AM
Friday night was almost as embarrassing as last Friday at Penn State may be even more. That Wisconsin team is not good at all probably worse than last year. I like the fact that this team doesnt quit but why wait until its 4-2 with 6 minutes left to start playing? Shootout choices were a bit of a Question mark as well. Saturday night what a rollercoaster of a game. I dont know how or what the refs saw on Wisconsin's first goal but i didnt see the puck ever enter the net. Can we please put Moser on the bench and only use 5 defenseman please. His effort all weekend was non existent. That 4th goal was all on him he let his man get behind him and then didnt even try and lift the stick or move the guy out from the front of the net. If this team could only figure out how to finish in front of the net they wouldnt need a come back each night. They had chance after chance in front all weekend and missed a bunch of chances to pad the lead both nights. On to Michigan week but as Strobel said on the postgame show with Herb and Mowet they better sure up the defensive zone mistakes or Michigan will take them to town. Its down to a 4 game tune up for Minneapolis and the Right to get last change against the Spartans on Thursday. Anyone going to Yost on Friday? If not ill see you on Sunday at Nationwide.

osualum86
02-28-2016, 12:34 PM
Friday night was almost as embarrassing as last Friday at Penn State may be even more. That Wisconsin team is not good at all probably worse than last year. I like the fact that this team doesnt quit but why wait until its 4-2 with 6 minutes left to start playing? Shootout choices were a bit of a Question mark as well. Saturday night what a rollercoaster of a game. I dont know how or what the refs saw on Wisconsin's first goal but i didnt see the puck ever enter the net. Can we please put Moser on the bench and only use 5 defenseman please. His effort all weekend was non existent. That 4th goal was all on him he let his man get behind him and then didnt even try and lift the stick or move the guy out from the front of the net. If this team could only figure out how to finish in front of the net they wouldnt need a come back each night. They had chance after chance in front all weekend and missed a bunch of chances to pad the lead both nights. On to Michigan week but as Strobel said on the postgame show with Herb and Mowet they better sure up the defensive zone mistakes or Michigan will take them to town. Its down to a 4 game tune up for Minneapolis and the Right to get last change against the Spartans on Thursday. Anyone going to Yost on Friday? If not ill see you on Sunday at Nationwide.

Klbaum1077, really enjoy your contributions on this thread! I don't like our chances against Michigan the way they are playing right now, even at "home" in Nationwide Arena. Michigan State is playing better and is not far behind us, so I don't see us sweeping that series. Are you going on the bus trip to East Lansing on 3/12? Mrs 86 can't make it so I will be flying solo for that one. She has to work the next day so understandably, she doesn't want to be out until 1:00 am the night before.

klbaum1077
02-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Klbaum1077, really enjoy your contributions on this thread! I don't like our chances against Michigan the way they are playing right now, even at "home" in Nationwide Arena. Michigan State is playing better and is not far behind us, so I don't see us sweeping that series. Are you going on the bus trip to East Lansing on 3/12? Mrs 86 can't make it so I will be flying solo for that one. She has to work the next day so understandably, she doesn't want to be out until 1:00 am the night before.

Yes i am going on that Bus trip have to figure out a place for the bus to pick me up. You guys should come up to BG on the 11th for the playoff game i am going.

LordofBrewtown
02-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Truth.

But of course hoops has Saturday locked up...

Very frustrating that no hoops games were shown on BTN Saturday night, BTN had a crew there Friday that could easily have stayed Saturday, and still no game.

Saturday night has actually been fairly hoops free this year on BTN (some wrestling, some Women's hoops). So, shifting the hockey doubleheader to Saturday might really be an option. But, I'm beginning to realize that those running the BTN are just incompetent. I think they are just lucky to have something it would take a lot to screw up (though they are doing their best).

klbaum1077
03-01-2016, 09:00 AM
Michigan week is here lets hope they can play 60 minutes of inspired hockey friday night and end that losing streak at Yost.

osualum86
03-01-2016, 01:39 PM
Yes i am going on that Bus trip have to figure out a place for the bus to pick me up. You guys should come up to BG on the 11th for the playoff game i am going.

I would love to do that. I have been bugging Mrs 86 (the BGSU grad) all season but with her schedule, it's hard to get up there on a Friday night, and unfortunately, it hasn't worked out for us to get up to a Saturday game. I love going to games up there. That is a great hockey barn they have in Bowling Green ... "the Madhouse on Mercer"! The atmosphere blows the Schott out of the water. Definitely a great place to see a hockey game. I am trying to talk the Misses into going up to Grand Rapids for the WCHA Final Five if BG is in the title game. BG has fallen in the pairwise to the point where they probably have to win the WCHA Tournament and get the auto-bid. Enough about the Falcons, though. Glad to hear you are going on the bus trip. I am not overly optimistic about our chances, although it is the Saturday game, so maybe we will get a W that night. Have fun at the BG playoff game!!

osualum86
03-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Michigan week is here lets hope they can play 60 minutes of inspired hockey friday night and end that losing streak at Yost.

That would be nice! Michigan State is right behind us so we need all the points we can get!

pgb-ohio
03-02-2016, 11:06 PM
USCHO: A 40 & Over League?

Revisiting this; at least briefly:

Hello hello hello hello hello. Wow, it's so empty on this thread it's got a great echo!Brought over from the Minnesota Gophers Season Thread:

I assume USCHO is going downhill because everyone younger than 40 is on twitter, or facebook, or something on their phone, as opposed to here.

...I always thought a lot of us on here were over 40 already so immune to sudden tech changes. I can't figure out how to download apps on my flip phone, so I haven't got there yet.

Ditto! And it's mostly due to team-specific sites. I post on GPL much more than here nowadays. I know SCSU folks and tUMD folks stick to their pages. MTU is still somewhat around, UND/WI are about the same, but WI is dropping drastically due to their crappy team.So for those still here, what do you think? Specific Questions:

1. Does the Minnesota experience apply here at Ohio State? Or is the above just a "State of Hockey" thing?

2. That echo Hockeybuckeye's been hearing -- is it because the younger posters are largely gone?

3. Have a significant number of Buckeye posters, regardless of age, migrated to a team specific site? If so, which site?

4. Do most fans really prefer tweets to more detailed opinions?

The more I think about this, the more I find it troubling. When I hooked up with USCHO years ago, I thought it was great to be on a national board. Conversely, my pre-conceived notion was that team specific sites are predominantly pep rally material. In other words, of little use.

As for Twitter > USCHO: Seriously? I suppose trading one-liners has its place. But as a primary way to spend your time online? I've always thought it was too shallow, too self-limiting to be worth my energy.

Or, maybe I'm hopelessly out-of-date and need to catch up with the times.

Thoughts? On any of the above?

BTW, I appreciate everyone who still posts here. Don't worry, I'm not going to sneak out of the Assisted Living facility when no one's looking...:o