PDA

View Full Version : ASU Adding Women's Club Hockey

TonyTheTiger20
08-16-2015, 09:58 PM
https://twitter.com/WHToday/status/633086419792101376

Not to say they are likely to jump to D1 anytime soon given the distance, but the growth of the sport is nice and ASU men's hockey is probably going to take off. Will be worth keeping an eye on over the next 5-10 years.

coffeebrk
08-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Arizona State? I don't do "twitter" so I couldn't see what you were talking about.

Hammer
08-19-2015, 08:46 PM
Arizona State? I don't do "twitter" so I couldn't see what you were talking about.

Correct. Arizona State.

https://twitter.com/WHToday/status/633086419792101376

Not to say they are likely to jump to D1 anytime soon given the distance, but the growth of the sport is nice and ASU men's hockey is probably going to take off. Will be worth keeping an eye on over the next 5-10 years.

Well, if they're going to move up, this is one decent way to do it. Let the men's team test the NCAA waters to see if it's clear to make the jump.

Oh, and there's probably Title IX issues at play that helped here, too. (I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.)

Bob Gray
08-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Correct. Arizona State.

Well, if they're going to move up, this is one decent way to do it. Let the men's team test the NCAA waters to see if it's clear to make the jump.

Oh, and there's probably Title IX issues at play that helped here, too. (I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.)
At least the discussions I've read about ASU was talking about adding women's sports other than hockey for Title IX purposes, including rowing. But that could certainly change. To me it makes a lot of sense to add women's hockey here after the men's program has tested the waters.

Hammer
08-21-2015, 09:31 PM
Okay. You're a whole lot closer than I am.

I would also speculate that if things don't go according to plan with the men's team, they might figure that they won't have much invested in the women's team (relatively speaking) if it just stays at the ACHA level. (I have no idea if that came out right.)

OnMAA
08-21-2015, 09:36 PM

Another veil attempt by the NHL to keep the Coyotes afloat ?. :D