UVM 2015-2016 The New Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVM 2015-2016 The New Season

A couple of write up for alums heading into the NHL season to pass the time :

Torrey Mitchell
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2...rrey-mitchell/

Conner Brickley
    http://www.litterboxcats.com/2015/9/...op-25-under-25
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
      A couple of write up for alums heading into the NHL season to pass the time :

Torrey Mitchell
      http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2...rrey-mitchell/

Conner Brickley
      http://www.litterboxcats.com/2015/9/...op-25-under-25
      Hmmm, makes me wonder why Brickley was more or less a bust as a college player. Was playing in Sneddon's system keeping him from reaching his potential or was he not doing enough during the off-season to prepare to play his best and play injury free? The article kind of suggests he showed up a new (and different) man for the 2015 rookie camp. Maybe he figured he'd have to get his act together or find himself out of hockey at some point in the not-too-distant future. In any event, glad to see he's having some success and I wish him well.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
        Was playing in Sneddon's system keeping him from reaching his potential or was he not doing enough during the off-season to prepare to play his best and play injury free? The article kind of suggests he showed up a new (and different) man for the 2015 rookie camp.
        I think it's hard to blame the kid's off-season training regimen without knowing... there is certainly an element of luck to injuries as well. I feel like because his dad was an NHLer and is still connected to the game (and lets face it I'm a total B's fan and LOVE Brick's analysis and outlook on the game) that he would have been taught how to take care of himself in the offseason. I also doubt that one good offseason would magically lead him to being injury free for an AHL season.

Either way it's true that those injuries kept him from becoming the player he could've in college. Thanks for those updates 7669!

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          Here's the official "blurbs" put out on the newcomers...
          http://uvmathletics.com/news/2015/8/...x?path=mhockey
          I agree that Abramson has an opportunity to be a force this year. Players on the team have indicated that he is up over 230 lbs. and is the fittest guy on the team. For a 6' 4" guy, that is amazing. Hopefully he can translate that size and fitness level into a monster year where he strikes fear into opposing players in the Vermont zone. As for scoring, yes, Bradley, Irwin and J. Privittera could help but we need another couple of 10 goal scorers and I am not sure it is one or more of them. That is why I am hopeful for Coughlin, Bowen and O'Neil as freshmen.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
            As for scoring, yes, Bradley, Irwin and J. Privittera could help but we need another couple of 10 goal scorers and I am not sure it is one or more of them. That is why I am hopeful for Coughlin, Bowen and O'Neil as freshmen.
            Actually, I was thinking more Alexx Privitera. A defenseman, I know, but he did have 26 points last season, good for 3rd on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
              Actually, I was thinking more Alexx Privitera. A defenseman, I know, but he did have 26 points last season, good for 3rd on the team.
              He is a gifted offensive player for sure but benefitted mightily from playing with Paliotta last year both in full strength situations and on the pp as well, where they played probably 1 1/2 minutes of every pp. Paliotta had an oustanding year and A. Priv picked up a lot of assists from him. I am hoping that Abramson, Phillips, Hamilton or the freshman Lee will step up and be a pp force. Abramson certainly has a hard shot and Phillips and Hamilton are good skaters.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
                As for scoring, yes, Bradley, Irwin and J. Privittera could help but we need another couple of 10 goal scorers and I am not sure it is one or more of them.
                They scored 6, 8 and 6 goals respectively last year as freshman playing limited minutes on the 3rd and 4th lines mostly. I'd be really disappointed if at least 2 of them don't hit the 10 goal mark.

Comment

Originally posted by CTcatamount View Post
                  I think it's hard to blame the kid's off-season training regimen without knowing... there is certainly an element of luck to injuries as well. I feel like because his dad was an NHLer and is still connected to the game (and lets face it I'm a total B's fan and LOVE Brick's analysis and outlook on the game) that he would have been taught how to take care of himself in the offseason. I also doubt that one good offseason would magically lead him to being injury free for an AHL season.

Either way it's true that those injuries kept him from becoming the player he could've in college. Thanks for those updates 7669!
                  I have wondered the same thing. Injuries was def a factor but that can't explain it all. Some people would argue that his style of play didn't jive with college refs but that doesn't explain the lack of scoring when he did play. I'm happy for Brick having success at the next level but this is troubling as a college / UVM fan. Consider specifically the offencive production, Brick blew up in the AHL when a lot of college guys struggle to make it. I understand the argument that he is a physical player but you don't score goals by hitting guys. The argument that he gets more respect because he creams people, doubt it. Overall what bugs me most is the Brickley story is perhaps the most legit criticism of the UVM coaching staff. He has enough success to get drafted 2nd round before college, people question if he was a bust due to college, then in the AHL he's doing well. How are you supposed to interpret that other than UVM not knowing how to exploit his skill?

Comment

Originally posted by Jayden_Stoff View Post
                    I have wondered the same thing. Injuries was def a factor but that can't explain it all. Some people would argue that his style of play didn't jive with college refs but that doesn't explain the lack of scoring when he did play. I'm happy for Brick having success at the next level but this is troubling as a college / UVM fan. Consider specifically the offencive production, Brick blew up in the AHL when a lot of college guys struggle to make it. I understand the argument that he is a physical player but you don't score goals by hitting guys. The argument that he gets more respect because he creams people, doubt it. Overall what bugs me most is the Brickley story is perhaps the most legit criticism of the UVM coaching staff. He has enough success to get drafted 2nd round before college, people question if he was a bust due to college, then in the AHL he's doing well. How are you supposed to interpret that other than UVM not knowing how to exploit his skill?
                    Hitting doesn't score goals and at that level creaming people doesn't get you the puck either. But I still am of the opinion it's how he plays that led to his lack of offensive production. Finishing checks, hitting people hard, and giving 100% every shift was/is Brickley's game and that is not allowed in HE. You can't score if you are in the penalty box, nor can you score if you game is to literally knock people off the puck to get possession nor are you going to score a lot if you are now afraid to play the game as you know it. On the other hand if you can cream someone on the boards and take the puck when the drop, you now have possession, when you get the freedom to play your game you gain confidence and that does lead to more goals. Brickley just didn't fit...10 years ago when you could wreck people on open ice and refs realized there are "legal" big hits he would have done much much better.

Look at Wahls, he lost minutes his whole career until he moved. That's not the coaches not knowing how to use his skills (if anything they excel with defensmen), he just couldn't stay on the ice long enough to contribute. You can't be heading to the penalty box every other shift.

I don't think Brickley was at fault nor the coaching staff, but there was high hopes for him that never came about because he was hamstrung his entire career.

Comment

Originally posted by CTcatamount View Post

Connor's father did not play in the NHL, his cousin Andy did. Brickley could have been a good college hockey player if he understood the college game. He was way over the top with his checking and deserved every penalty he got - many would have been penalties 10 years ago too. He seemed more interested in being a macho hitter than a scorer. I had always hoped he would have figured that out and adjusted his style, bu the didn't learn. He cost us several games at times when we needed the win. I'm happy for him if he is now finding his place, but I was glad to see him off the Gut ice for the teams sake. I'm optimistic for a great season this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermont Ref View Post
                        Connor's father did not play in the NHL, his cousin Andy did. Brickley could have been a good college hockey player if he understood the college game. He was way over the top with his checking and deserved every penalty he got - many would have been penalties 10 years ago too. He seemed more interested in being a macho hitter than a scorer. I had always hoped he would have figured that out and adjusted his style, bu the didn't learn. He cost us several games at times when we needed the win. I'm happy for him if he is now finding his place, but I was glad to see him off the Gut ice for the teams sake. I'm optimistic for a great season this year.
                        Thanks for setting me straight. Agree with your assessment of his college play.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermont Ref View Post
                          I agree he loved to hit. I remember, I think it was the 1st game / 1st faceoff of the year, UVM wins it over to Brick and he gently puts the puck on the boards wrapping it toward the back of the opposing team's net. Just the right speed that the other team's D man goes to get it and Brink arrives just at the moment he touches the puck and plows him over. I figured that hit had been building up for a while. It was frequently entertaining to see Brink nail dudes but it would have been great if he could have been more effective with his skills in the college game. You'll hear people talk about Canadian juniors vs college. Perhaps he would have been better off with the later. Also, it would crack me up when guys would turn into the board seeming to deny the opportunity for Brick to hit them. He's do a move where he would like spin them around and nail them all in the same motion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayden_Stoff View Post
                            I agree he loved to hit. I remember, I think it was the 1st game / 1st faceoff of the year, UVM wins it over to Brick and he gently puts the puck on the boards wrapping it toward the back of the opposing team's net. Just the right speed that the other team's D man goes to get it and Brink arrives just at the moment he touches the puck and plows him over. I figured that hit had been building up for a while. It was frequently entertaining to see Brink nail dudes but it would have been great if he could have been more effective with his skills in the college game. You'll hear people talk about Canadian juniors vs college. Perhaps he would have been better off with the later. Also, it would crack me up when guys would turn into the board seeming to deny the opportunity for Brick to hit them. He's do a move where he would like spin them around and nail them all in the same motion.
                            I also remember he took a diving check at a player near the corner nearest the main entrance and his skate hit the glass and shattered it. It was more luck that that happened but it seemed apropos that it was Brick that it happened to.

Comment

Another new article on Brickley

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...914-story.html

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...key-cc-whalers

Nice pickup for UVM out of prep hockey
                                https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                                Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Working...
                                X