X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2015-2016 The New Season

I hate bye weeks
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Unless it's the first round of Hockey East playoffs.........of course!

Comment

Two tough games this weekend against the #10 Fighting Irish. I liked the two wins a couple of weeks ago. I noticed in the CT game on TV that the Cats are always so intent on getting the hit on the opponent that they often times take themselves out of the play. Often times the puck is gone and it is a legal hit but they always have to get that check in that serves no purpose except to show toughness. Most teams are not intimidated by it and we are out of position. Anyone else see this or am I overreaching here?

Comment

Another winnable game that got away due to bad penalties ( I'm looking at you Coughlin, Pattyn, and Abramson). I liked the line up tonight - hope Sneddon doesn't tinker with it for the rest of the season to build some chemistry. Also liked pairing Phillips with Abramson. The forwards backed in too far on the net for the Notre Dame power play goal and left both points wide open. Munson had some unbelievable saves. Other than the final score it was a fun game to watch.

Can't take bad penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
            I noticed in the CT game on TV that the Cats are always so intent on getting the hit on the opponent that they often times take themselves out of the play. Often times the puck is gone and it is a legal hit but they always have to get that check in that serves no purpose except to show toughness. Most teams are not intimidated by it and we are out of position. Anyone else see this or am I overreaching here?
            I don't think this is overreaching at all and is something I've talked about for the last decade. No team is intimidated by it and I would say 99.9% of the individual players are not intimidated by it either, which means there might be one or two players in the NCAA who are truly scared to get hit.

It's one of the biggest changes I have seen in the sport in the modern era. People used to talk about the "brutality" of the game in an earlier era, but watch a game from the 70s or 80s or even earlier. Far less hitting for hitting's sake. Before, a hit was delivered strategically and was primarily designed to separate a player from the puck BEFORE that player did what he wanted with the puck. Now, 99% of the hits happen in the immediate moments after a player gives up the puck to the next skater and the term "finishing your check" now more resembles what is actually happening. And you're absolutely right that the primary thing a hit accomplishes in today's game is to leave the guy delivering the hit in a less advantageous position up the ice as he attempts to catch up with the puck or the play.

I blame the equipment. It gets lighter and tougher with every generation of players. The more armored up the players are, the more we see things that I think have dumbed down the game. Hits, players going to the ice to block shots, sticks carried high where they are of zero use. 40 years ago a tough check was as likely to deliver pain to the checker as it was to the player getting checked. Not anymore. 35 years ago the only Notre Dame player I recall who regularly went to the ice to block a shot ended up with a broken bone.

On another note, the Gutterson Fieldhouse looks like a great place to watch a college hockey game. Would love to see a game there. And also, of all the teams that stream games live (our two programs might be the only ones who do it for free, if there are others I am not aware) Vermont's are by far the best I have seen. Competent announcers, great angle on the broadcast, high video quality.

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
              Another winnable game that got away due to bad penalties ( I'm looking at you Coughlin, Pattyn, and Abramson). I liked the line up tonight - hope Sneddon doesn't tinker with it for the rest of the season to build some chemistry. Also liked pairing Phillips with Abramson. The forwards backed in too far on the net for the Notre Dame power play goal and left both points wide open. Munson had some unbelievable saves. Other than the final score it was a fun game to watch.

Can't take bad penalties.
              I guess we shouldn't be surprised with their lack of discipline when you consider who their leading example is for being calm and composed. It's extremely frustrating to see this team squander winnable games because of lack of discipline. What is it that they are hoping to achieve? Cross checking, hitting after the whistle, tripping. These are just lazy efforts that have not positive outcomes. Year after year, it's getting old.

Comment

Massachusetts, Vermont To Compete in Friendship Four

Comment

I would rather see a Maine, UVM, UNH, and Dartmouth annual tournament similar to the Beanpot. Maybe the Syrup cup....:--)

Comment

I have recently thought UVM needs to be smaller and faster to compete in HE. After watching the larger Kings dismantle the 'new' smaller and faster Bruins I am rethinking that concept. Although the Kings were not only much bigger but also as fast and skilled.

Comment

I would rather see a Maine, UVM, UNH, and Dartmouth annual tournament similar to the Beanpot. Maybe the Syrup cup....:--)
                      They tried that back a number of years ago with Maine, UVM and UNH along with I believe Lowell at Thanksgiving. Eventually fizzled.

Comment

Wonder if there will be spectator packages made available at a group rate?
                        Anyone know if last years teams had any special trip packages?

As for this coming weekend....
                        Time to show who belongs where in the standings....
                        No more excuses. Let's beat a team we should beat. Road series or not....

Go Cats Go!

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post

As for this coming weekend....
                          Time to show who belongs where in the standings....
                          No more excuses. Let's beat a team we should beat. Road series or not....

Go Cats Go!
                          Need to do what the women's team did last weekend at UNH!!!! They stepped up big.

Comment

Need to do what the women's team did last weekend at UNH!!!! They stepped up big.
                            I am hoping for a repeat of the trip two years ago, both games were like the one earlier this year. Also
                            both those games were won by Santa who gave up only 3 goals on the weekend. Interesting to see if
                            he plays.
                            New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                              OMG, we'd crush it! How are teams gonna compete with Vermont in the Syrup Cup?!?!? The other teams would be like Log Cabin or Aunt Jemima! No chance!

Comment

Nice weekend at UNH!
                                Wish they could have finished up that Sat night game with the W. The boys looked pretty spent chasing them around that big ice.

Love to see us play spoiler to BC for a game this week!

Go Cats Go!

Comment

Working...
                                X