Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2015-2016 The New Season

Pretty quiet on here...

I must say I'm at a loss of what to expect this weekend. I expect the Cats to come out and play well. They will be at Home and I have to imagine Sneddon has had a talk and some extra ice time for the D-men this week.

Considering both games last weekend were winnable games the guys should know they play with the best if they play hard and smart for the full game. Which, considering #1 is coming in that's exactly what needs to happen.

But there is the other question.... is NoDak that good? Early polls are never a good indication and their early record really doesn't tell us much either. That said it's still North Dakota and they are always going to be near the top of the heap. On the other hand they have a new head coach and their #1 and #2 goalies are out with injury with the 3rd string walk on tending the net this weekend.

The offense will need to put up some numbers this weekend AND Santa is going to need to be good along with the D because goal scoring doesn't seem to be a problem for the Sue. That said they did manage a single goal against Maine?? Let's hope that teams shows up Friday
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
      Pretty quiet on here...

I must say I'm at a loss of what to expect this weekend. I expect the Cats to come out and play well. They will be at Home and I have to imagine Sneddon has had a talk and some extra ice time for the D-men this week.

Considering both games last weekend were winnable games the guys should know they play with the best if they play hard and smart for the full game. Which, considering #1 is coming in that's exactly what needs to happen.

But there is the other question.... is NoDak that good? Early polls are never a good indication and their early record really doesn't tell us much either. That said it's still North Dakota and they are always going to be near the top of the heap. On the other hand they have a new head coach and their #1 and #2 goalies are out with injury with the 3rd string walk on tending the net this weekend.

The offense will need to put up some numbers this weekend AND Santa is going to need to be good along with the D because goal scoring doesn't seem to be a problem for the Sue. That said they did manage a single goal against Maine?? Let's hope that teams shows up Friday
      You make good points about this series. UND has 11 freshman so they are young and inexperienced. This road trip will be a great barometer to see where they are at as a team. Going to the East Coast, to play a solid catamount team coming off being swept, playing in front of a walk-on 3rd string goalie with already 3 or 4 guys that will be out due to injury.

The one thing this team has shown is that they can score goals though. Our freshman are contributing right away. The combination of 1st rounders soph. Nick Schmaltz and Fr. Brock Boeser on a line worked great last weekend. Boeser notched the 1st hat trick by a UND freshman since TJ Oshie did it in '05. Add Cagguila, who is our best finisher from last year's team and that is the line that Vermont needs to worry about.

And a quick note on Maine, we did outshoot them 45-20 and carry the play much of the game FWIW. However, their goalie seemed to have a brick wall behind him and didn't let anything by.

Can't wait for a great series!

Comment

Announcement just made ... Corran leaving early as AD ... will be out by the end of the year.

Comment

I know some of you still believe in santa claus. I wish he would bring back hoffman. The cats version of santa is giving too many gifts to the other team.

Seriously. How many games can you win giving up a soft goal every game? Cats have a nice team but lacks goaltending and THAT will be the achilles heal of this season

Like coughlin a lot. Need Shaw to be the monstet he can be also

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
            I know some of you still believe in santa claus. I wish he would bring back hoffman. The cats version of santa is giving too many gifts to the other team.

Seriously. How many games can you win giving up a soft goal every game? Cats have a nice team but lacks goaltending and THAT will be the achilles heal of this season

Like coughlin a lot. Need Shaw to be the monstet he can be also
            I can't wait for jcarter to argue with you. Reality is probably another 2 years of Santa. Though it is not like his D in front of him is world beating either that is probably going to take some time. I'm sure he not on scholarship but I want to know how bad Feely must be to never play in a game how can you be 6-7 and literally never get in a meaningful game? You would think at least he has some ability and with that size to at least have good net coverage skills. What is even the advantage of him being around gotta wonder if he is next year since don't they have that supposedly good goalie recruit in jrs again this year?
            I hope they'll be competitive this weekend but you do wonder what would happen if they get smoked on Friday.
            I still stand by what Ive said about this team from the start but still feel it is too early to know whether the season goes one way or another playing teams so tough right now.

Also on Corran retiring I think that isn't a bad thing fresh blood can be good. Though he never did get that arena built did he? And he is not leaving early his contract expires in June 2016, which is his leave date.
            Last edited by pokecheckguy; 10-22-2015, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy View Post
              I can't wait for jcarter to argue with you.
              I'm not going to argue... much. I think I've made a case as to why Santa is a legit goaltender. At this point if someone else doesn't agree there isn't anything left to be said. If he leads this team to the promise land I'll never let you guys forget it. I will agree he let in a really soft goal Sat. That' can't happen and that's on him. Friday, at least 3 of those 4 were not even close to his fault. One was a tad iffy. But please if you are going to be down on him, do it because of his play not this unbelievably ******** argument that it's because he isn't big enough...like goalies don't actually move and you just want a 500lbs beast that literally fills the net. Some of the best goalies ever were not the biggest.

Though it is not like his D in front of him is world beating either that is probably going to take some time.
              This

What is even the advantage of him being around gotta wonder if he is next year since don't they have that supposedly good goalie recruit in jrs again this year?
              The advantage is that if Santa and/or Munson get injured we have some that can stop the puck. The goal tender coming in this weekend for NoDak is their 3rd string walk on... because their #1 and #2 are injured.

I hope they'll be competitive this weekend but you do wonder what would happen if they get smoked on Friday.
              I hope so as well. There's a lot of fire power on No Dak... the cats win this game if they can keep the offense in check. If not it will get ugly. This is a crucial weekend for Santa and the defense.

Comment

NoDak has some firepower and very good defense but you need goaltending as well on the road. Hrynkiw is a neat story but the fact remains he is a third string afterthought walk-on that I don't have a whole heck of a lot of faith in yet. We will need to score often and the D will have to play very well in front of Hrynkiw to have any chance of stealing a game this weekend. I'm just hoping for a split... well, that and our **** team to get healthy for once. Fugging injuries...

Comment

So Hendrickson flipped this weekend and picked UVM to be swept by the Sue... things are looking up already.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                    I'm not going to argue... much. I think I've made a case as to why Santa is a legit goaltender. At this point if someone else doesn't agree there isn't anything left to be said. If he leads this team to the promise land I'll never let you guys forget it. I will agree he let in a really soft goal Sat. That' can't happen and that's on him. Friday, at least 3 of those 4 were not even close to his fault. One was a tad iffy. But please if you are going to be down on him, do it because of his play not this unbelievably ******** argument that it's because he isn't big enough...like goalies don't actually move and you just want a 500lbs beast that literally fills the net. Some of the best goalies ever were not the biggest.

This

The advantage is that if Santa and/or Munson get injured we have some that can stop the puck. The goal tender coming in this weekend for NoDak is their 3rd string walk on... because their #1 and #2 are injured.

I hope so as well. There's a lot of fire power on No Dak... the cats win this game if they can keep the offense in check. If not it will get ugly. This is a crucial weekend for Santa and the defense.
                    Mostly was saying if next year is UVM going to carry 4 goalies if that Lekkas(?) kid arrives next year. I know he is here for emergencies but gosh you'd hope he could have worked hard and learned to use his size in addition to skill just kind of feel having that size and not trying to work on your skill to get in games is sort of a waste - and no doesn't mean i think goalies have to be tall but certainly and advantage that could be used in addition to skill.

Comment

Anyone know of a stats page that tracks "Minutes Played" ??

Comment

Mostly was saying if next year is UVM going to carry 4 goalies if that Lekkas(?) kid arrives next year. I know he is here for emergencies but gosh you'd hope he could have worked hard and learned to use his size in addition to skill just kind of feel having that size and not trying to work on your skill to get in games is sort of a waste - and no doesn't mean i think goalies have to be tall but certainly and advantage that could be used in addition to skill.
                        That's a really good question regarding Lekkas. I suspect they will in fact carry 4 goalies. One may move on to a DIII school as we've seen before, but I think Hoff put a wrench in the machinery when he left and they brought in Munson last minute to replace Hoff. I'm thinking Lekkas comes in next year, they carry 4 goalies and then Santa is gone and Lekkas takes over.

Comment

Ok. Santa being small is detrimental when he is screened and in mad scrambles because he simply does not fill as much of the net and when he goes down there is too much room over his shoulders. The bigger problem with him is the soft goals where he seems to be caught napping. Small size should equal quickness. I was always more comfortable with Hoffman in net although he was caught short side off the post too often.... they need Soucy this year

Comment

I suspect nodaks 3rd string goalie is better than our first. We will know soon.....

Comment

• Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                              I suspect nodaks 3rd string goalie is better than our first. We will know soon.....
                              Drink your hateraid today?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jayden_Stoff View Post
                                Drink your hateraid today?
                                Couldn't ask for much more from Santa. Shaw and Irwin were missing. There is a slim chance we can get a goal tomorrow. I got the feeling Sneddon was experimenting and it didn't work. I wasn't too impressed with Abromsen. Skeptical of a prospects to beat these guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X