X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXIV: A Season without Chuck

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    I received an email back from Jason King which was in essence the obligatory "rah rah, thanks for your support, we have a number of games on tv that is generally in line with the other schools"

I wish I could say he knows how distraught the fanbase is (particularly the hardcore season ticketholders from the 70's, 80's, 90's) but he seems absolutely clueless.

I honestly cannot fathom how he could say "thank you for your support" in response to an email that essentially detailed how frustrated and disconsolate the shrinking fanbase is and how having less games on tv exacerbates the problem with developing new fans to replace the ones who've walked.
    Honestly, what could he say that would satisfy you?

You took the time to research the specific member of the administration to write to, and took the time to compose a (assumed) thoughtful e-mail...that sound like some level of support to me...

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
      Honestly, what could he say that would satisfy you?

You took the time to research the specific member of the administration to write to, and took the time to compose a (assumed) thoughtful e-mail...that sound like some level of support to me...
      When people take the time to write in on something like this, the person should at least try to placate them. I understand that JK can't say, "Don't worry, we are firing the coach, have 10 new recruits and plan on winning the next 5 NCs!". But he could say, "The staff at UW Athletics does understand the concern that the fanbase has. We are working night and day to resolve many of the issues that you pointed out in your letter. Rest assured that we are striving to improve the TV coverage, fan attendance and all around excitement about the Men's hockey program!"

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
        When people take the time to write in on something like this, the person should at least try to placate them. I understand that JK can't say, "Don't worry, we are firing the coach, have 10 new recruits and plan on winning the next 5 NCs!". But he could say, "The staff at UW Athletics does understand the concern that the fanbase has. We are working night and day to resolve many of the issues that you pointed out in your letter. Rest assured that we are striving to improve the TV coverage, fan attendance and all around excitement about the Men's hockey program!"
        Even those statements would be wading into dangerous waters. You can't expect the administration to outwardly admit problems, even if everyone in the world recognizes them.

If a member of the administration goes on record telling someone "we are striving to improve the TV coverage, fan attendance and all around excitement" then that gives specific items that they can be held against.
        They may try to work with FSN and WPT to get more games on TV, but if they can't (for whatever reason) then they have failed on their documented attempt to "improve TV coverage". You know that if they try to negotiate something and fail that they won't come out and say "Hey, we tried, they just weren't interested"; that would be the ultimate lose-lose situation.
        They may try discounts, and special packages, and special promotions (things within their control, they can't make the team win) to boost attendances, but if none of those items work then they have failed on another item.

The administration has no choice but to put on their happy faces and stick with the company line. "We are excited for the upcoming season" "There are a lot of young players that we are excited about" "We are looking forward to see what the new coaching staff can do" "The Kohl Center is a fantastic facility and we hope more fans come out to enjoy a game"

But then again, without the full context of the e-mail that was sent and the e-mail reply, we are all just guessing at what was actually said and what the reply was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Innova View Post
          Exactly. what jk emailed in response to my carefully worded (I was polite, respectful etc) was robotic.

And yes to kamigo, he absolutely can and SHOULD make the effort to reach out to the fans in a not so perfunctory manner. His response absolutely intimates "there's nothing to see here"
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Exactly. what jk emailed in response to my carefully worded (I was polite, respectful etc) was robotic.

And yes to kamigo, he absolutely can and SHOULD make the effort to reach out to the fans in a not so perfunctory manner. His response absolutely intimates "there's nothing to see here"
            Solovsfett, since you were the one who sent the e-mail, I'll repeat the request directly to you...

What could he have said that would have satisfied you?

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
              Solovsfett, since you were the one who sent the e-mail, I'll repeat the request directly to you...

What could he have said that would have satisfied you?
              How about jk acknowledge there are grave concerns from the fan base as to the status and direction of the men's hockey program as well as the decline in tv options, then he can launch into his polyanna diatribe "thanks for your support, everything is roses here, you must be too dumb to see the ncaa championship potential of this team" if he feels so inclined but he makes no acknowledgement whatsoever as to any concerns as put forth by any number of uw fans here and people I've spoken with off the board

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

How about jk acknowledge there are grave concerns from the fan base as to the status and direction of the men's hockey program as well as the decline in tv options, then he can launch into his polyanna diatribe "thanks for your support, everything is roses here, you must be too dumb to see the ncaa championship potential of this team" if he feels so inclined but he makes no acknowledgement whatsoever as to any concerns as put forth by any number of uw fans here and people I've spoken with off the board
                OK, I can admit that you have some valid points. It would be nice to have someone acknowledge the basis of your e-mail when you send something like that in.

On a serious note, not trying to stir anything up, what percentage of the fan base do you think you speak for when you make the blanket statement of "grave concerns from the fan base". I'm not going to argue with you one way or the other, just curious as to what your perspective is.

Comment

I have written him twice, once after the disaster that was last season, and again after the early summer defections. Both emails were of the same tenor and were in-line with solos take. Even though my second email contained his first response, which was very similar to the one he gave solo, he again responded very similarly as if he never saw his first reply to me. Almost carbon copies even though I purposely put his first reply in so he had better context.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                    OK, I can admit that you have some valid points. It would be nice to have someone acknowledge the basis of your e-mail when you send something like that in.

On a serious note, not trying to stir anything up, what percentage of the fan base do you think you speak for when you make the blanket statement of "grave concerns from the fan base". I'm not going to argue with you one way or the other, just curious as to what your perspective is.
                    I can't speak for anyone but myself when I write here or to JK regarding my specific concerns. I can and did make a general statement and reference to the fact that numerous people on this board and people I've had conversations with off the board (who don't post here at all) have decided not to new renew season tickets and some are on the fence about renewing in the future due to concerns over the direction of the program (defections, coaching, recent records etc) and some are generally unhappy with the change on banners, kids not being allowed to hang signs like "Canadian Club" etc...all of the general gripes I've seen on the board that I happen to concur with mostly.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXV: A Season without Chuck

Subject: RE: UW Men's hockey on tv

Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me about men’s hockey telecasts for this coming season.

Among Big Ten hockey-playing schools, our total of 14 telecasts currently scheduled is right in line with our peers. A few more than some and a couple fewer than some others.

We wanted to announce the TV games we have thus far because the season is quickly approaching. If we are able to schedule additional games for television, we will make that information public as soon as possible.

As a reminder, a selected number of our games that are not televised will be live-streamed. I would encourage you to explore that option as well.

Thanks for your interest in, and support of, the hockey program.

As a side note we have had positive discussions with the band about playing at selected women’s hockey games this year. I am sincerely hoping they will choose to play at more of our contests this season.

JK

Jason King

Senior Associate Athletic Director

University of Wisconsin Athletics

Office-608-262-7974

Cell-608-354-7112

JWK@athletics.wisc.ed

Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:23 PM
                      To: Jason W. King
                      Subject: UW Men's hockey on tv

Jason,

The TV schedule is just a complete joke. No games on TV until the 11th game of the year. 14 out of 34 on tv total. None on Fox Sports WI. None of Wisconsin Public tv. I cannot emphasize enough what a colossal disappointment this is. This isn’t 1978 when there was no cable and only antennas. And with Andy Baggott fired from the WSJ, there will be no objective reporting to tell us fans how the team is really performing, since we cannot see them. I just cannot believe in 2016 I am stuck listening to them on the radio for most of the games, and how many fans are going to listen to a broadcast? What an utter and complete fiasco. As a kid who would tape the games on WPT at night and watch the next morning in the 1980’s, I never imaged the coverage would be worse in 2016. I might as well crack open the vhs tapes out of the basement and watch those. So much for progress. I really feel like my heart has been ripped out of my chest.

Tim
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

thanks TimothyA!

this is what I received

"Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me about men’s hockey telecasts for this coming season.
                        Among Big Ten hockey-playing schools, our total of 14 telecasts currently scheduled is right in line with our peers. A few more than some and a couple fewer than some others.
                        We wanted to announce the TV games we have thus far because the season is quickly approaching. If we are able to schedule additional games for television, we will make that information public as soon as possible.
                        As a reminder, a selected number of our games that are not televised will be live-streamed. I would encourage you to explore that option as well.
                        Thanks for your interest in, and support of, the hockey program."

So let's be honest here, they don't care. They simply don't care. The admin inaction says as much, and their bot responses underline it.

Comment

To be fair, King's job isn't one where he's really allowed to be casual and unfiltered with the public. I suspect that he has things he wants to say but feels he can't/shouldn't.

I can relate, since I can't be as honest with my thoughts when speaking to my customers.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            To be fair, King's job isn't one where he's really allowed to be casual and unfiltered with the public. I suspect that he has things he wants to say but feels he can't/shouldn't.

I can relate, since I can't be as honest with my thoughts when speaking to my customers.
                            This is true. (Also, if a bunch of different people write in about the same topic, the responses will end up being similar.) I think that sending in these emails is more about letting them know that fans do care enough about this to write in. I really hope that even if King and other representatives have to be careful with what they say to the public - even in private emails - they won't just dismiss what the fans say.

Comment

thanks TimothyA!

this is what I received

"Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me about men’s hockey telecasts for this coming season.
                              Thanks for your interest in, and support of, the hockey program."

So let's be honest here, they don't care. They simply don't care. The admin inaction says as much, and their bot responses underline it.
                              I can't believe you were so lazy as to just copy what JK sent me instead of copying and pasting what he actually sent to you (taking out the band reference).

I know he's not going to throw anyone under the bus inside the AD. He did imply they may get more games televised/on the web. My concern big is that WPT is zero as of right now and UW has less than half as many games scheduled so far. And the rodents have 28. I think the fans have to keep the pressure on the AD. It may also be a good idea to let him know how you feel on Twitter, that's a nice form of public pressure. When Men's hockey twittered out the televised schedule, I kinda blasted them.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The joke is on us losers! No games on TV until the 11th game of the year and 14 out of 34 on tv. 5 games on TV in WI between the start of the season and January *****in 15th. Not 1 game on Fox Sports WI, not one....really???? UW hockey is DEAD to the world. DEAD. I sure hope WPT picks a few games up, but the release does not imply more will get picked up. How can a fan get invested in a team that they cannot see play? The glory years of having just about every home game on TV are long dead. I really feel like my heart is being ripped out of my chest. I love WI men's hockey but I sure feel like I'm just being dumped by my wife of 25 years. This is absolutely PATHETIC, DISGUSTING AND MADDENING. Email Jason King your thoughts. JWK @athletics.wisc.edu.

And don't forget there will be no objective newspaper reporting on the team at all with Baggot gone.
                                Tim I love your passion; you're usually so even keeled. Keep it up, bro'!! However, I'm not surprised at the TV coverage, or lack there of.

EDIT: KaMiGo asked solo about his opinion of the percentage of fanbase with grave concerns? I would be willing to be "The (Ice)Man on the Street" with a mic & recorder on TKC steps. I bet it's over 90%, and the remaining 10% don't give a **** anyway.
                                Last edited by MadCityRich; 09-27-2015, 07:15 PM.
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X