X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXIV: A Season without Chuck

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    Any list that includes Kyle Turris as one of the top 12 NHL forwards in UW history is a seriously flawed list.
    Too soon for him, I'd tale Maley or Rhino over him.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Turris was pretty darn good as a young 18 year old at UW.
      WISCONSIN BADGERS
      NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
      WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
      WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
      B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
      Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
        Turris was pretty darn good as a young 18 year old at UW.
        I have to respectfully disagree with you. Did he lead the team in points? Sure he did, but he gained 12 of those 35 in the opening four games at the Ice Breaker and then against Roberto Morris. So over the other 32 games against better competition he netted 23 points. My memories of Turris (and I was very excited for him to come here) was that he was largely a non factor at times in games as he was way too weak to deal w/ the 35 year olds that played for Mankato or Tech at the time. Sure he was young and a freshman, but honestly I expected a lot more of him, considering his scoring ability in the BCHL and his draft status.

Toward the end, I got the feeling he was looking over the horizon to going and playing for the great one the minute the season ended than trying to get a sub .500 team to the Frozen Four, and that team should have went to the Frozen Four too. Never should have lost to the North Dakotas in OT, never should have even got to OT.

As far as NHL career, after a really slow and rocky start, he has turned into a great player, but he was a star in name only at UW. I might get chastised for saying all this, but that's ok.
        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
        Originally posted by UWisco
        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
          I have to respectfully disagree with you. Did he lead the team in points? Sure he did, but he gained 12 of those 35 in the opening four games at the Ice Breaker and then against Roberto Morris. So over the other 32 games against better competition he netted 23 points. My memories of Turris (and I was very excited for him to come here) was that he was largely a non factor at times in games as he was way too weak to deal w/ the 35 year olds that played for Mankato or Tech at the time. Sure he was young and a freshman, but honestly I expected a lot more of him, considering his scoring ability in the BCHL and his draft status.

Toward the end, I got the feeling he was looking over the horizon to going and playing for the great one the minute the season ended than trying to get a sub .500 team to the Frozen Four, and that team should have went to the Frozen Four too. Never should have lost to the North Dakotas in OT, never should have even got to OT.

As far as NHL career, after a really slow and rocky start, he has turned into a great player, but he was a star in name only at UW. I might get chastised for saying all this, but that's ok.
          I agree 100%. He was pretty ordinary considering the hype that came with him. I also think had he stayed at UW for 2-3 years, he may have been more impactful right out of school. He is a poster child for staying in school.

In looking at the next 2 years after he left, his leaving certainly hurt UW's NCAA chances the next year as they just missed the ncaa's and the following year they would have crushed BC and everyone else with him on the team, and that 09-10 was stacked without him.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            I agree 100%. He was pretty ordinary considering the hype that came with him. I also think had he stayed at UW for 2-3 years, he may have been more impactful right out of school. He is a poster child for staying in school.

In looking at the next 2 years after he left, his leaving certainly hurt UW's NCAA chances the next year as they just missed the ncaa's and the following year they would have crushed BC and everyone else with him on the team, and that 09-10 was stacked without him.
            I couldn't agree more. Turris needed another 1-2 years at UW. He was good but nowhere near great his freshman year.
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXV: A Season without Chuck

Sorry, Turris was a pretty impactful frosh. Sure, you can split hairs that he wracked up his points against weaklings...but in the same regard none of his teammates (who had the same opportunity against those weaklings) managed to do better then him. A point a game on a young team with no one else where he could ride a coattail was a darn good season for an 18 year old frosh.

As far as his place on that list, as long as it is based on NHL performance/production...he certainly belongs. 60 point centers in the NHL are at worse 2nd liners and Turris is probably more of a poor mans first liner at this point which certainly makes him one of the top dozen forwards to ever come out of UW.

Comment

I guess I'll have to side with wojo on this one. Even his pedestrian numbers against non-cupcakes makes him a FAR better freshman than we normally have.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  I guess I'll have to side with wojo on this one. Even his pedestrian numbers against non-cupcakes makes him a FAR better freshman than we normally have.
                  Don't really have a horse in this race, but it's worth also remembering that he was very immature from a physical standpoint -- as evidenced by how long it took him to blossom at the pro level despite his obvious high-level skill set. Would I put him on an all-time UW team in terms of his college career? No, but his production is nonetheless very impressive considering where he was in his overall development at the time.
                  I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

On a totally unrelated front, I saw a tweet last week that Alex Shuchuck is #16 for UW, so he is staying @ UW even though Pops landed a job with Tech.

Turris...Maybe my expectations were a little high of him going in, but I don't recall many flashes were his talent made my eyes pop.

Comment

Funny how the only talk on here is a guy from 5 years ago. Shows how low things are right now.

I have to agree with TimothyA on Turris. I was expecting more and we all know he should have stuck around another year or two.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                        Sorry, Turris was a pretty impactful frosh. Sure, you can split hairs that he wracked up his points against weaklings...but in the same regard none of his teammates (who had the same opportunity against those weaklings) managed to do better then him. A point a game on a young team with no one else where he could ride a coattail was a darn good season for an 18 year old frosh.

As far as his place on that list, as long as it is based on NHL performance/production...he certainly belongs. 60 point centers in the NHL are at worse 2nd liners and Turris is probably more of a poor mans first liner at this point which certainly makes him one of the top dozen forwards to ever come out of UW.
                        I agree on the NHL part to make the list, though I find this sad that after 50 years of UW hockey, there have not been more forwards to impact the NHL at a high level, but I guess goalie and Dman is covered.

I don't agree on "pretty impactful" when he could be bumped off the play against pretty much any WCHA team by a 4th liner. My expectations were much higher and pretty impactful should have been a disappointment for us. Now if Seamus Malone comes in and scores 35 points this season that will be pretty impactful. Hell if anyone on the team scores 35 points that would super.

I don't even know when the first game is...my level of excitement is reaching absolute zero.
                        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                        Originally posted by UWisco
                        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

I don't even know when the first game is...my level of excitement is reaching absolute zero.
                          Yep, same here....
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

It's a little early to get all hyped up with the first game on 10/9. I am absolutely fascinated to see what this above average recruiting class can do scoring and to see what impact Strand and Bittner have on the X's, O's and the execution of said X's and O's. My expectation is no boneheaded play in the D zone, for the PK and PP to be in the top 20 in the nation, not to lose to or tie ASU and a .500 record. Baby steps unfortunately, but progress nonetheless.

Comment

I imagine if Turris had played another year here we'd probably all have a somewhat better opinion of his skills. On the other hand, the guy currently behind the bench was probably a better NHL'er overall than Turris has been so far.

I'm also pretty interested in the upcoming season. A lot of pressure and a lot of drama involved as to how things will work out. Folks are naturally focused on the no name recruits, and the departures, etc. but there are at least a handful of pretty talented kids on the roster. And some guys that have shown some flashes of having decent upsides. If the top guys do their jobs and the rest follow, they could/should win some games. Stepping back from it, the situation is pretty fascinating, albeit one I certainly never expected to see.
                              Originally posted by WiscTJK
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Hell if anyone on the team scores 35 points that would super.

hell if the team scores 35 points in the first half of the year it would be super

Comment

Working...
                                X