This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXIV: A Season without Chuck

Luke Kunin was interviewed for The Pipeline Show's Draft Spotlight segment: https://soundcloud.com/pipeline-show/luke-kunin-oct6

Comment

Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
      I don't think I am in the minority that are hoping that the Badger's get their a** handed to them consistently, so that there is no question what so ever in the AD's office that it is time for Coach Excuse to get fired!!! The worst thing that could happen to the Badger hockey program would be leaving it in the hands of Mike Eaves for another year!
      I don't agree with this. It should not be just about getting rid of Eaves at all costs. What if the combo of Bittner/Eaves/Strand is a fantastic combination and they finish around .500 this year (meaning the team plays well and doesn't look like a bunch of over-matched Peewees like last year) and make the ncaa's next year? That would be awesome. To me it's not about getting rid of Eaves, it's about the program getting better. If the current coaches can accomplish that, awesome. If they can't, head should roll. I do think it's only fair to give this combo 3 years so we can see how/who Bittner and Strand recruit (unless it's another horrible season).
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I want Strand/Bittner to be successful. They got stuck in a crappy situation, I'd like to see what they can do....Eaves has had his time, I am tired of "it's a young team" 4 year cycles, boring uninsipired play with guys who can only play maybe 1 period a game. But without him the assistants can't get their chances

Comment

I agree with the comments that Eaves should have been fired but it the process we did lose a good coach in Shuchuk. If you ask any current or former players they will all say the same thing, that Shuchuk took the fall for the program and he should still be there. With him gone we lost a great coach and recruiter. Who do you think recruited Kunin and Olpika out of St Louis AAA or Freytag or Zimmer out of Wyzata HS. He also recruited the likes of Hughes, Rockwood, Malone and even Boeser. We now have a coach that hasn't last more than 2 years at any job and other guy who spent more time in the ECHL than any where else. All I know is I'll be cheering for Bucky on Friday and I'll have to say I'll be cheering for the Husky's down the road as well!

Comment

Adam Miller to start in goal tomorrow.
            WISCONSIN BADGERS
            NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
            WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
            WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
            B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
            Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              You'd think so. Of course that all is probably offset by the fact that we can't get the boneheaded hockey players into the school. Sadly for us and them, these days they're banished to places like the NCHC and the new WCHA...

As I've always said, having standards is a poor way to do business.
              I don't completely buy that. UW is a great school, but its acceptance rate is dam near 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                I don't completely buy that. UW is a great school, but its acceptance rate is dam near 50%.
                I don't completely buy it either. Although it has happened occasionally and with the current fragility in the program I do suppose every last one counts.

On the other hand I got in and I don't even understand acceptance rates. I mean as a measure. I wouldn't think if I had a 1.8 GPA and was too hung over to see the dots on my SAT I'd be applying to Harvard anyway. I'd probably just hop in a Conestoga and go west. I believe there's a school out on the prairie I could get into with out too many questions being asked.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                  Adam Miller to start in goal tomorrow.
                  Makes sense to me to go with the guy that's been around for the opener. Good for Adam, nice to see a guy like that get a shot after all the work he's put in the last three years.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Lines vs NMU

Besse-Malone-Rockwood
                    Kunin-Hughes-Soleway
                    Freytag-Wagner-Ford
                    Cavallini-Ustaski-McGuire

Wittchow-Davison
                    Schulze-Linhart
                    Tischke-Sexton

Miller

Surprised to see Johnson not on there.
                    Last edited by UWisco; 10-08-2015, 09:32 PM.
                    WISCONSIN BADGERS
                    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

It all feels so real now! I hope those top two lines can execute a "SCOAR MOAR GOALS" attack.

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                        Lines vs NMU

Besse-Malone-Rockwood
                        Kunin-Hughes-Soleway
                        Freytag-Wagner-Ford
                        Cavallini-Ustaski-McGuire

Wittchow-Davison
                        Schulze-Linhart
                        Tischke-Sexton

Miller

Surprised to see Johnson not on there.
                        I'm shocked Will Johnson is not starting... they need ALL of the help they can get. I don't care if this kid practices like Doug Mcdonald he needs to be out there.

as to the notion of hoping the team does poorly in order to hasten Eaves' exit.

my opinion is the long-term health of this program is in jeopardy the longer Eaves retains his job regardless of whether he miraculous pulls out a 14 or even a 20 win season in the next 2 years. He needs to be gone so that someone can rebuild the program into a national power.
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          I'm shocked Will Johnson is not starting... they need ALL of the help they can get. I don't care if this kid practices like Doug Mcdonald he needs to be out there.
                          Ditto. It's also disappointing the herd of late signed freshmen F could not dislodge Cavillini, McGuire or Ustaski. The top end of this freshman class seems to be where we thought they'd be lineup-wise, but so does the bottom. . But it is only the lineup of the first game, so it's not all dark clouds on that front. Good luck to Miller, I'm super happy for the guy, he has put the time in to get to this point.

Wisconsin Hockey: Just win
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            Ditto. It's also disappointing the herd of late signed freshmen F could not dislodge Cavillini, McGuire or Ustaski. The top end of this freshman class seems to be where we thought they'd be lineup-wise, but so does the bottom. . But it is only the lineup of the first game, so it's not all dark clouds on that front. Good luck to Miller, I'm super happy for the guy, he has put the time in to get to this point.

agreed on all fronts
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

The spot Johnson is fighting for isn't with those 3 players, but Ford on the 3rd line. Ford played well at the end of the year, I think in a few weeks Ford drops to the 4th line and Cavillini is in the press box with Johnson on the 3rd.

On a recruiting note, I like the attempt to make a Finnish/Swede pipeline. Maine was able to get a group of Swedes 5 years ago and it worked out well for them. Just need to get to them when they are 16/17 before they make the leap to the Swedish professional league and lose their eligibility.

Excited to see what happens this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Badgerice View Post
                                I agree with the comments that Eaves should have been fired but it the process we did lose a good coach in Shuchuk. If you ask any current or former players they will all say the same thing, that Shuchuk took the fall for the program and he should still be there. With him gone we lost a great coach and recruiter. Who do you think recruited Kunin and Olpika out of St Louis AAA or Freytag or Zimmer out of Wyzata HS. He also recruited the likes of Hughes, Rockwood, Malone and even Boeser. We now have a coach that hasn't last more than 2 years at any job and other guy who spent more time in the ECHL than any where else. All I know is I'll be cheering for Bucky on Friday and I'll have to say I'll be cheering for the Husky's down the road as well!
                                Your right that Eaves should have been fired. That's where my agreement with your post stops. Shuchuk, good coach and good recruiter should not be in the same sentence.

When Eaves hired a clown like Shuchuk, Eaves deserved to be fired. Recruiting sucked under Shuchuk, leading to the current crop of players, a 4 win season, and Boeser not coming here due to many reasons including not being in contact with him.

And the current assistants have at least some college and USHL experience and the local rink manager had none when he was hired.
                                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Working...
                                X