X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXIV: A Season without Chuck

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    As a dad, a son, a brother, an employee, a husband, a leader and a fan, different situations require different approaches. I am generally a person who is calculated in what I type or say. In this case I thought the best approach was to be brutally and unfilteredly honest. Sometimes a person needs an arm around their shoulder, a couple quietly spoken words and a gentle kiss or hug. Other times a person needs an eye to eye, intense “come to Jesus” talk, and in this case I chose the latter. I hope in your life whatever approach you use works for you. What I do works for me. I honestly found it rather discouraging and inpersonalble that he sent Solo and I the SAME response. That was from the heart, eh?
    I don't disagree with the things you've posted, but I think it is fair to expect that he sends two different people responses that are more or less the same, considering the initial messages were addressing the same topics. It's not like he's sending replies with the purpose of having them published in the newspaper.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXV: A Season without Chuck

Let's be honest.

What do you think Jason King is going to say?
      We are going to fire Eaves if the season goes the same as last.
      We didn't want to fire Eaves, because economically we feel it doesn't make sense.
      We feel Eaves has earned the right to have 1-2 more seasons since he has taken teams to the championship 2 times in 10 years.
      We have tried to get more games on TV, but the TV stations are in the business of making money and UW hockey doesn't make any money for them.

Jason has a job to do with his employers interests in mind. He is going to give a canned reply just like any other company would. UW Athletics has turned into a big business and unfortunately UW hockey seems to currently not be in their top priority.

Jason King has no control over what programs the TV stations put on their channels.

Why on earth would FSNWI put UW hockey over a professional NBA game or any other sport for that matter. It wasn't that long ago that bowling had more viewership than NHL hockey on ESPN. We are a fraction of a fraction of the population.

My suggestion is if you are unhappy take your money and time somewhere else. I myself can not wait for Oct 7th when the NHL begins.

UW hockey will be back, it just looks like it may be 3-5 years out. We are currently in the dark days.

For the time being, don't throw away your helmet hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Rob View Post
        So other than the "Eaves avoids 20 questions" on facebook/twitter Has there been any sort of hype for this upcoming season? I have been listening to satellite radio lately so I don't hear radio ads, but have there been any? Have there been any TV spots either?
        Nothing major. I haven't seen or heard anything beyond the usual messages at football games (the team took their turn on the field this past week). The student shootout was pretty nice (not sure what the numbers were compared to last year, which was a big jump from the prior year) - highlight and hype videos were being played on the big screen rather than the continuous cycle of tweets. That's pretty small on the large scale, but it was nice to see that within that event (also got to talk with one of the marketing directors, whom I'd met back in the spring, about it, which was nice).

There were a couple of the more recent "20 questions" that I actually liked. No vague sportuguese and metaphors. Nothing super specific, but the way he said "we have different people and will do things very differently" seemed a bit more straightforward than it might've been. Also, it's nice to see some kind of build-up to the season coming from the Athletic Department, considering how little they decided to let people know that they had one of the top teams in the country in 2013-14.

(This paragraph has nothing to do with hype for the season coming from UW Athletics, but I thought I'd mention it.) One morning, when driving to my Friday morning job, I briefly flipped to 106.7 The Zone (they broadcast the Capitols), and was pleasantly surprised to hear the hosts give updates for volleyball and cross-country. It was the day after the "regular" student ticket sale for men's basketball, so they mentioned how quickly it sold out, and continued to read the blurb on UWBadgers.com reminding students that men's hockey tickets are still available. Then they made a couple comments about the tough times last year on the ice and in the stands. It's probably a bad thing that I was pleasantly surprised that local sports hosts acknowledged more than 2 UW sports, and were at least decently aware of what was up with the men's hockey team (without having it be on the script).

I have emailed JK twice. The first time he responded to me in under 2 hours. He toed the company line, which I expected him to. But I think it's important that they know people are upset.
        ^ This is key.

Comment

[QUOTE=bucky15;6199966]Let's be honest.

What do you think Jason King is going to say?
          We are going to fire Eaves if the season goes the same as last.
          We didn't want to fire Eaves, because economically we feel it doesn't make sense.
          We feel Eaves has earned the right to have 1-2 more seasons since he has taken teams to the championship 2 times in 10 years.
          We have tried to get more games on TV, but the TV stations are in the business of making money and UW hockey doesn't make any money for them.

Jason has a job to do with his employers interests in mind. He is going to give a canned reply just like any other company would. UW Athletics has turned into a big business and unfortunately UW hockey seems to currently not be in their top priority.

Jason King has no control over what programs the TV stations put on their channels.

Why on earth would FSNWI put UW hockey over a professional NBA game or any other sport for that matter. It wasn't that long ago that bowling had more viewership than NHL hockey on ESPN. We are a fraction of a fraction of the population.
          [QUOTE]

FSNWI does show Wild games, and some Wild fans are surely UW fans, so there is plenty of opportunity to cross-pollinate the viewership. Maybe FSNWI could have a weekly half hour or hour show about the local hockey scene, HS, the Caps & UW. You show that leading up to or after Wild games. The UW could partner with the wiaa and the Caps to bring this together. This could be a starting point. And let's be honest, the UW Athletic Dept is flush with $$$$, if they really wanted to they could dump money into the UW hockey programS in the web or internet. They could pay for the production of the home games to be on PBS. The B6 is woefully low on the hockey telecasts. JK and BA and the rest of the hockey AD's could pressure the B6 into showing more hockey, especially early in the season, even it it's at 1 am, st least you could dvr it.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Cross promoting with the Wild is a pipe dream.

BA most likely looks at it as he just dumped a ton of money into Labahn and the hockey programs should be set for a while. In terms of marketing, yes it would be nice to inform the public that they are at least attempting to field a team this year.

Putting the games back on PBS would be a great start. I wonder what the copyright terms are with the B1G network. I would think that is what is holding this back.

Hockey games on the BIG network don't affect half of the conference members. I assume viewership for games that don't involve the Gophs are quite low. That is why the BIG hockey league was/is a disaster from the start.

Comment

Back to the season at hand.

What would the over/under on wins be set at this year? 7?

I think UW is going to win more than 4 games this year, but I have a bad feeling some of the loses are going to get real ugly. 7-1(if lucky to score) beatings...

Remember when Tech rolled into town in 2010 and we put a beating on them both nights...I think some series are going to go like that for us on the opposite end.

Tech won 5 games that year and that was possibly the worst college hockey team I have seen. I think UW is on par for that type of season.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                Back to the season at hand.

What would the over/under on wins be set at this year? 7?

Prepare for your mind to be blown.........ready?.........are you sure?...........ok then...........here it comes...........12 wins...........you heard it here first.

Comment

Prepare for your mind to be blown.........ready?.........are you sure?...........ok then...........here it comes...........12 wins...........you heard it here first.
                  I'll take the under and feel guilty like I am stealing from you. ASU on the schedule at home for a pair is one of the only saving graces....but even those will not necessarily be gimmies with as bad as this team is (remember PSU in their inaugural season beating a much better Eaves coached team?). Realistic win total will be 6-8. 12 I would be stunned and Eaves should be a coach of the year finalist.

Comment

Sad day, when my mind is blown that someone thinks the UW hockey team is capable of a 12 win season.

I think they have no more than 6 wins in them. Toss in 3 ties.

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb here. 9-10 wins. Reason being they can't get worse than last year, right? They won't get 3 wins or less. 9 or 10 may be possible if: Kunin and Malone pot 10-12 goals each. Freytag and Wagner have 8-10 each. Soleway and Ustaski score 6-7 each, Besse gets 15ish and the defense plays solid, if unspectacular which I think they're capable of.

Goaltending will probably be the achilles heel along with the fact they don't have proven 20-goal scorers. Hell, they barely have 20-point players on the team. Oh, and the other achilles heel is Eaves who teaches the most boring and easily defended brand of offense in NCAA hockey.

having said that, I'd still fire Eaves whether it's 8 wins, 10, or 12. Program trend is down and there are not nearly enough good recruits on the horizon.

If they get 20 wins then the admin can look ok retaining him
                      Last edited by solovsfett; 09-29-2015, 08:39 PM.
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

The Capitols should be pretty good...(though I looked at the schedule the other day and realized that I won't get to one of their games for a while, because of all the Wisconsin Badgers games!)

Comment

With the lines that they'll be putting out there and the goaltending situation as unsettled as it is, I think we're looking at a sub-10 win year.
                          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                            With the lines that they'll be putting out there and the goaltending situation as unsettled as it is, I think we're looking at a sub-10 win year.
                            Defense depth scares me the most. Who is going to be the 6th Dman? Is Sexton supposed to be any good? We have 17.5 forwards on the roster and 7.5 D on the roster. The .5 being Hurley, what was Eaves thinking bringing in all these forwards with only 7 D (one being a walk-on)?

Wittchow and Schulze are going to be putting up big minutes, if one of those guys goes down for any amount of time UW is in BIG trouble.

Comment

Wittchow and Schulze are going to be putting up big minutes, if one of those guys goes down for any amount of time UW is in BIG trouble.
                              It was amazing to me that Schulze could walk after the number of minutes that he put in last year. Having to count on him putting in that kind of time again is not a great strategy, in my book.
                              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

what was Eaves thinking bringing in all these forwards with only 7 D (one being a walk-on)?
                                He essentially said he wants to roll lines in scrimmages/practices and wants a ton of competition for icetime. The issue is that the competition is for the 4th line only, the top 3 lines I would think based on talent are kinda locked in. And as someone else stated earlier, if you are a talented player, what good does it to do practice against 4th line guys who you are clearly better than already? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X