UAH Hockey 2015-16: The next step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Then how do you explain the improvement in shots for, shots against, goals for, goals against and a special teams net that went from -23 last year to -5 this year? Check the number of games Carmine stole singlehanded last year. How quickly did you expect the team to go from ground zero to the .500 level in a very good conference? The best class on the roster is the sophomore class. It takes time to build a program. I've seen the Chargers 4 times in person and have watched video from at least half a dozen other games. I have also talked with all the coaches in the league, many of them the week before or after a series against UAH and many put Huntsville among the most improved teams in the league. They are in every game and are much harder to play against. The last two years, it was Carm and not much more. And try and play hockey after spending 20 hours on a bus.
    Well I have to respectfully disagree with you. I'm not thrilled with where this team is at. I'm not saying we don't compete most nights but that doesn't mean you're going to win. I don't like the offensive structure at all. We get destroyed in t.o.p every game, we can't just rely on great goaltending every night with a poor offensive attack it doesn't work. We returned about 90 percent of this team and realistically I don't think most UAH fans expected us to be in dead last. I think most of us thought we would be in the middle of the pack, it's frustrating right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by UAHHerd4 View Post
      Well I have to respectfully disagree with you. I'm not thrilled with where this team is at. I'm not saying we don't compete most nights but that doesn't mean you're going to win. I don't like the offensive structure at all. We get destroyed in t.o.p every game, we can't just rely on great goaltending every night with a poor offensive attack it doesn't work. We returned about 90 percent of this team and realistically I don't think most UAH fans expected us to be in dead last. I think most of us thought we would be in the middle of the pack, it's frustrating right now.
      Progress takes time. Your team has improved it's goal scoring by 35% this year. Your expectations may have been a bit unrealistic. Now beat Bemidji.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: UAH Hockey 2015-16: The next step

Originally posted by UAHHerd4 View Post
        I'd say that the problem was inconsistency amongst the freshmen, combined with Saulnier's issues (whatever they are). The big problem was that, after November started, UAH was a one-line team, and opponents just worked to shut down McHugh's line. An all-freshman second line never really pulled together. Based on his history (improving as a repeat player at a level), I didn't expect Houcher to light the world on fire, but he was really reluctant to shoot when things were tough.

Add that to Carmine reverting to his lower spots of last year, and this team just really faltered, and I don't think that they ever really mentally recovered. Honestly, that's on the players.

It's just a shame that we don't play in a crappy league where a hot weekend of goaltending gets us into the NCAA tournament.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          I'd say that the problem was inconsistency amongst the freshmen, combined with Saulnier's issues (whatever they are). The big problem was that, after November started, UAH was a one-line team, and opponents just worked to shut down McHugh's line. An all-freshman second line never really pulled together. Based on his history (improving as a repeat player at a level), I didn't expect Houcher to light the world on fire, but he was really reluctant to shoot when things were tough.

Add that to Carmine reverting to his lower spots of last year, and this team just really faltered, and I don't think that they ever really mentally recovered. Honestly, that's on the players.

It's just a shame that we don't play in a crappy league where a hot weekend of goaltending gets us into the NCAA tournament.

GFM
          Jetlan Houcher will be a good hockey player. Several teams liked him in the recruiting process. Saulnier overachieved early and is underachieving now. As he matures, his game will even out. The biggest problem is that there is little in the upper classes. So you have to bite the bullet, give the young guys lots of ice time and let them grow and endure the growing pains until you get to the time when you're regularly dressing 12 or 13 upperclassmen and 5 or 6 freshmen & sophomores instead of the other way around.

One must remember that the program is still moving from the what you can get to getting what you want in the recruiting process. Let's see where this team is four years from now when the carnage done by Malcolm Portera no longer resonates in any appreciable fashion.

More fundraising needs to be done as well. 20 hour bus trips take their toll over the course of a season. They shouldn't be bussing anywhere other than Bowling Green and Ferris.
          Last edited by davyd83; 02-22-2016, 11:00 AM.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I think that Houcher will be much better next year in the way that, say, Kestner was better this year.

I'm all for giving Corbett five years to get an entire roster of "his" guys through the system. Fuss about the coaches all you want, but UAH hasn't had a consistent coaching staff for more than three years since Doug Ross retired and Lance West left for Alaska. Even then, the second assistant bounced around, with both John McCabe and Nathan Bowen doing a solid job in that role. Hell, last year was the first year that the same three coaches had been in place since it was Danton Cole with Chris Luongo and McCabe. These guys can't build something until they get their talent in there and can fully set up their systems.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Progress takes time. Your team has improved it's goal scoring by 35% this year. Your expectations may have been a bit unrealistic. Now beat Bemidji.
              That is correct: We've scored 63 goals this year, surpassing last year's total in eight fewer games. We've also been shut out only twice (as opposed to eight times last season and a billion times the year before), and one of those was to North Dakota's Cam Johnson, who was shutting out everybody en route to UND's scoreless streak record. Sure, 2.1 goals per game isn't great, but no one in the league is scoring over three per game except for Michigan Tech (Ferris State is second at 2.68!).

I agree with Geof about the inconsistency of the freshmen. During that 0-10-1 stretch in November-December, we started to expect the bad turnover that led to a 2-on-1 (or none) and an easy goal that they would not overcome. They've limited those killer mistakes in the second half of the season, and it's helped us be more competitive, so that is some growth. We lose only four seniors (two of them regulars in the lineup), so much of this group should stay intact and be a little wiser.

I think the SOG differential has been exasperated in the last two weeks. Minnesota State I expected to fire away (because they've done nothing but the past three years), but not so much with Northern Michigan, a team that we did outshoot 47-22 in the first game in Huntsville (yet lost 4-3 on that Dominik Shine penalty shot).

I too am a little frustrated that we haven't gotten more wins this season, but it's not so bad that I'm not looking forward to next October.

#BeatBemidji
              Michael Napier - UAH '97
              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
              U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
              NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
              CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
              CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

I think that Houcher will be much better next year in the way that, say, Kestner was better this year.

I'm all for giving Corbett five years to get an entire roster of "his" guys through the system. Fuss about the coaches all you want, but UAH hasn't had a consistent coaching staff for more than three years since Doug Ross retired and Lance West left for Alaska. Even then, the second assistant bounced around, with both John McCabe and Nathan Bowen doing a solid job in that role. Hell, last year was the first year that the same three coaches had been in place since it was Danton Cole with Chris Luongo and McCabe. These guys can't build something until they get their talent in there and can fully set up their systems.

GFM
                Well, five years sounds about right. I don't mind letting him bring his recruits in and seeing what happens. We've got some issues that have to be worked out and if they're handled right maybe Corbett will work out here. I guess I had my expectations too high after making the playoffs with essentially the same team and bringing in several newcomers.

Comment

Well, five years sounds about right. I don't mind letting him bring his recruits in and seeing what happens. We've got some issues that have to be worked out and if they're handled right maybe Corbett will work out here. I guess I had my expectations too high after making the playoffs with essentially the same team and bringing in several newcomers.
                  If it makes you feel better, Geof had UAH finishing fourth in the WCHA preseason media poll.

(I had UAH 7th. )
                  Michael Napier - UAH '97
                  uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                  U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                  NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                  CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                  CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Offense is normally the last thing that happens in a successful rebuilding program. You normally have to build from goaltending and defense out, and I'll include defensive play from your forwards in that "defense" category. Most of the high end scorers are committed several years out, so when you make a coaching change and try to rebuild, those high end guys are no longer available and in the near term you have to look for guys who develop late in their junior careers for the first few recruiting classes. Concurrently a new coaching staff can actively start recruiting the current crop of young high end players, guys who probably are 3-4 years away from playing college hockey, and hope that they can land some of them occasionally. I think it works this way in most cases. Obviously if you have a big name program that has had a lot of success (at least fairly recently), this rebuilding process can go a little more quickly since it likely will be a little easier to attract recruits.

Comment

• Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                      If it makes you feel better, Geof had UAH finishing fourth in the WCHA preseason media poll.

(I had UAH 7th. )

I thought UAH would've finished no worst than 7th. I thought 6th or 7th coming into the season was very achievable.

Comment

From an eye test point of view. In other words, just watching them play and not judging the score, but how they are on the ice, they are night and day better than last year. Just keep it up. You have a good coach and the players will develop. I know it's hard to be patient, but honestly you are really making good progress.
                        You have to judge a player, not on how he is coming in, but how will he be down the line.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I just hope this horrible Charger team makes the trip to Bemidji this weekend!
                          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Yeah, as Michael noted, I had them 4th. That makes me feel like an idiot. And trust me, the players read this stuff.

There are other problems with the program, namely funding and Spragins Hall. That said, a resource issue is involved for just about every part of Athletics, but especially Sports Information, who lost their intern and added two new sports. I really don't know how Taylor and Sam do it.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

I tried to load a photo but it failed. It's supposed to be accommodations offered this weekend to UAH players, coaches & fans in Bemidji.

Sorry.

Andrew

*******http://i1051.***********.com/albums/s427/PeterNewkirk/Accomodations%20for%20UAH%20players%20amp%20fans.j pg********
                              Last edited by Andrew J Carter; 02-22-2016, 08:29 PM. Reason: photo inclusion failed

Comment

Yeah, as Michael noted, I had them 4th. That makes me feel like an idiot. And trust me, the players read this stuff.

There are other problems with the program, namely funding and Spragins Hall. That said, a resource issue is involved for just about every part of Athletics, but especially Sports Information, who lost their intern and added two new sports. I really don't know how Taylor and Sam do it.

GFM
                                For the resources Sam's got to work with, does a heck of a job. It like he's got to play the whole game on the PK.

Comment

Working...
                                X