X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey: Summer 2015 on the Stillwater

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    For the record Coz contract was up so they wouldnt have had to pay him anything if they wanted to "fire" him. Thats not what this is. Diehards clearly never met the man because if he had he'd know Coz is a great ambassador for Maine. He'll raise money well beyond his salary. Hes a guy that got the job done instead of whining innthe BDN about what resources he had, he used Maines lack of resources to put a chip on his players shoulders. Maines other teams could more of that and less "aw shucks we're in the middle of nowhere and we have no money so lets just lose."

Theyre also paying it out of the Pres desrecrionary fund, not athleic or U budget. Same fund they used to buy out Whitehead IIRC. Creech made it a point to make that clear in the news stories when it came out.

But what will he do to help the hockey program? Seems to me all he cares about is football and that's it.....and if "getting the job done" translates into a career record under .500 and constant losing to that school in Durham, then UMaine really does not strive for accountability.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      I think comparing him to Coutts is apples and oranges, completely different roles.
      Well his new job "centers around fundraising" "And has no set goals" and Coutts is responsible for compliance, Title IV, financial aid, conduct, sports medicine and performance and equipment. Who should be making more money?? Someone having cocktails and slapping backs or someone doing 7 jobs. My comments aren't about Coz not being a great ambassador or a good fundraiser etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
        Well his new job "centers around fundraising" "And has no set goals" and Coutts is responsible for compliance, Title IV, financial aid, conduct, sports medicine and performance and equipment. Who should be making more money?? Someone having cocktails and slapping backs or someone doing 7 jobs. My comments aren't about Coz not being a great ambassador or a good fundraiser etc.
        Im not sure what sort of work you do but she is nothing but an expense. They want to spend as little as possible. Cosgrove on the other hand is in a revenue producing (hopefully) position. It's basic business.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Coz had one of the best records in the A10 and then CAA since the turn of the century, if you want to get hung up on the career record thats got a lot to do with the major sanctions he dealt with when he came in I don't know what to tell you.

Whats he going to do to help the hockey program? If he bring in money it'll help everyone. If he makes a speech at an event that inspires the donors that bailed under "boring" Whitehead and "rude" Blake James it'll help everyone.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
            But what will he do to help the hockey program?

There are 12 other programs at the school, many of which have had much more success with fewer resources than hockey lately.

Comment

Im not sure what sort of work you do but she is nothing but an expense. They want to spend as little as possible. Cosgrove on the other hand is in a revenue producing (hopefully) position. It's basic business.
              She's an employee who performs multiple jobs. Basic business says you need employees to perform whatever work needs to be done. People don't work for free. Not sure what you're getting at. I own my own business and if I told my employees they were just an expense because they weren't in a revenue generating position then I don't think I'd have a staff anymore.

Comment

I think you mean because he will generate revenue he deserves a higher salary. I just happen to disagree on that with this particular position that's all.

Comment

• Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                  I think you mean because he will generate revenue he deserves a higher salary. I just happen to disagree on that with this particular position that's all.
                  I mean there is more of a correlation between economic value added and compensation versus amount of work being done and compensation. If he spends only two hours working the whole year and brings in a $20MM donation in that time I think you would agree the university is getting a great deal. How much time he spends shuffling paper or whatever else is irrelevant. I think he will work hard and provide great value for the $100K.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                    But what will he do to help the hockey program? Seems to me all he cares about is football and that's it.....and if "getting the job done" translates into a career record under .500 and constant losing to that school in Durham, then UMaine really does not strive for accountability.
                    This is what he thinks about hockey before a football game against Iowa losing 46-3.

“This is a bigger stage than when Maine hockey plays in the national championship game,”

Maine head football coach Jack Cosgrove, Aug. 30, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
                      This is what he thinks about hockey before a football game against Iowa losing 46-3.

“This is a bigger stage than when Maine hockey plays in the national championship game,”

Maine head football coach Jack Cosgrove, Aug. 30, 2008
                      And in the sporting world at large, he's probably right.

Face it, more people care about college football than care about even professional hockey.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

The season is still young, but Tim is currently 6-0. There have been three "blow outs" with scores of 11-2, 11-2 and 7-2. Apparently, he is able to both recruit and coach in New Hampshire. Future Maine player Patrick Shea is on his team. Too early yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if his team wasn't invited to play in the large school post season tournament again this year. Last year, Kimball Union (7 or 8 seed), defeated the number one seed in the first round. Nice to see him doing well.
                        Last edited by Runsub5; 12-10-2015, 09:04 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                          I am joining the food drive for the benefit of the Midcoast Hunger Prevention Program (http://www.mchpp.org/).

For every shot on goal Steven Swavely​ notches this weekend I pledge one can of food. For every goal he scores I am pledging $5.

Additionally, in the spirit of Mr Overtime Ken Schott​, for every game this weekend, men's or women's, that goes to overtime I will also pledge a can of food.

I am challenging all University of Maine Hockey​ fans and alumni to join me in pledging money or food for your local pantry. Read the link below and let RWD know what you will be pledging. You can be straight forward or have fun with it.

http://runninwiththedogs.com/2015/12...-pledge-drive/
                          Wish I had seen this earlier. The Shaw's pullout from helping local pantries is old news and has been going on for years. Mid Coast was the last in Maine to still be getting Shaw's food. It's a shame.

I would encourage ticapnews and anybody else who joins in on this type of pledge, to pledge dollars. Cold, hard cash. That is the best way to help a food bank or soup kitchen. With the access they have to certain sources and the fact they are non-profits, they can make grocery money go much, much further than any consumer can. I know it sounds funny, but the best thing you can give a food drive is money.
                          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                            The season is still young, but Tim is currently 6-0. There have been three "blow outs" with scores of 11-2, 11-2 and 7-2. Apparently, he is able to both recruit and coach in New Hampshire. Future Maine player Patrick Shea is on his team. Too early yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if his team wasn't invited to play in the large school post season tournament again this year. Last year, Kimball Union (7 or 8 seed), defeated the number one seed in the first round. Nice to see him doing well.
                            It's too bad he failed at Maine. Likeable guy, honest and with a sense of humor to boot. He has apparently found his niche. I wish the timing had been right for him to take over the USM in Gorham. Great facility, great area to be and apparently easily recruitable. I caught a game a couple weeks ago. Excellent hockey, very comfortable seating, great visibility, a huge eating and warming area with large glass to the ice, and all that for a 3 dollar ticket. Recruits from Sweden, California, Tenessee, and all over Canada. Great brand of hockey for anyone nearby and you have no problem getting in and out. New coach doing well as is ex UMainer Kevin Swallow at UNE
                            Last edited by all bear; 12-11-2015, 07:39 AM.
                            sure why not

Comment

So just for the sake of not letting the thread slip to pg 3 let play rank the 1st half of the season. And if anyone gives a grade higher than a D there needs to be a legitimate explanation.

I'm going with a D- The only reason it's not an F is they're 11th not 12th in HE and they finally did win a couple games and raise the G per game avg from 1 to a blistering 1.82.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                                So just for the sake of not letting the thread slip to pg 3 let play rank the 1st half of the season. And if anyone gives a grade higher than a D there needs to be a legitimate explanation.

I'm going with a D- The only reason it's not an F is they're 11th not 12th in HE and they finally did win a couple games and raise the G per game avg from 1 to a blistering 1.82.
                                I'd give a C. I expected them to be a bad hockey team, finishing in one of the bottom two spots in the league, and they are a bad hockey team. "Meets expectations."

Comment

Working...
                                X