Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Chairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Chairs?

Just saw the last thread has been closed, so we might as well morph into the midst of the semi-compelling events of the last couple of weeks, and continue to ask questions and speculate about the future of the UNH Men's Hockey program.

No big lead-in this time around ... we'll save that for when the on-ice games start in a few months. But for now, some of the off-ice *games* are starting to get interesting. And with some folks scouring the Umile family tree for genealogical (sp?) hints from the seeds planted earlier this week by the jilted folks down in CT, we could quickly take this one off the grid. Have fun and stay cool, everyone!
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Re: UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Cha

Chuck, excellent question posed in the referee thread.

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Cha

One more concern about UNH Men's Hockey. The Jumbotron is a step in the right direction albeit small but what about facility upgrades/expansions. The building is 20 years old and lacks a great deal of player amenities. There is no lounge for players and they have to hike across the street for weight training. The Whitt was ok when it opened but is a little dated and was done on a tight budget relatively speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
        One more concern about UNH Men's Hockey. The Jumbotron is a step in the right direction albeit small but what about facility upgrades/expansions. The building is 20 years old and lacks a great deal of player amenities. There is no lounge for players and they have to hike across the street for weight training. The Whitt was ok when it opened but is a little dated and was done on a tight budget relatively speaking.
        "Hike across the street" ... jeezus, you make it sound like they're climbing frickin' Everest. I'm sure it's a longer "journey" to the rink from their dorms, I think the poor dears should be able to handle an extra 200 yards across the street ... ... maybe we can get them a designated crossing guard while we're at it.

Comment

Originally posted by smitre View Post
          Chuck, excellent question posed in the referee thread.
          There's more where that came from.

Comment

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
            Where did I read they were getting a new dedicated weight room in the renovation at the old Snively? Good thing coz I'd hate to think they have to walk across the street for another minute! 😉.

Seriously it would be nice if our players had the same kind of cool stuff that other teams have as long as they perform on the ice. But is that the kind of stuff we really need to sweat over to attract a recruit?

As per a future Whitt renovation that has to be way down the list...across the street is the priority now...We aren't BU sadly with tons of $$$

Ps I went to just about every HE venue last year except UConn and ND and I love our barn...bet there are things they could do with it to improve it that might not be a ton of money. But it will never be a Tsongas or an Agganis (my fav as you know).
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-11-2015, 03:07 PM.
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

"Our national studies show that a program’s facilities – the track, the weight room, stadium, and other areas where they will spend time as an athlete – actually factors very little into [a recruits] final decision as to whether or not they accept your offer. Yet, facilities and the surroundings are usually one of the things that a coach will primarily focus on in their recruiting; moreover, I’ve seen coaches base their entire recruiting strategy around what they feel those facilities will sell to a potential student-athlete."

http://dantudor.com/facilities-just-...your-recruits/

I absolutely HATE hearing all of the excuses as to WHY UNH can't compete for recruits. If the coaches at UNH have lost their belief that UNH and the Whitt have a lot to offer than they should be leaving for greener pastures because they will no longer be able to sell recruits on their program and university. The Whitt is still WELL ABOVE average in terms of college facilities and MILES ahead of the homes of recent National Champions Yale, Union and Providence. As Tudor, who heavily studies recruiting for a living, states (and as I've learned first hand as a recruiter) facilities very often DO NOT have a dramatic impact on recruiting and until players are transferring out because they hate the UNH experience then facilities really aren't an issue...

Good facilities, good academics, great campus, great location - any good recruiter should be able to sell the heck out of UNH. If there is ANY negative that exists now, that didn't exist in the early years of the Whitt it is the game day atmosphere. THAT is lacking and certainly doesn't sell recruits like it used too...
              Last edited by Dan; 06-11-2015, 03:08 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

Dan talk more about the 'game day' atmosphere? I mean besides going to Libby's...what is there? Seriously I know there are pre game like things for FOMH members etc...

Comment

Well said, Dan. Of course, if coach wants to kick back some of his salary, .... It's an easy excuse that may be valid in 5%of the cases, but ignores that we have secured commitments from All-Americans and/or all stars Laleggia and vecchione and cam Reid, Matt white and dan Kolomatis and Keith Yandle. We lost those because the coaches either screwed up by deferring the player, or by failing to monitor the recruit's academic development to ensure they would be eligible. Let's focus on basics before we focus on the "easy" excuses.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Dan talk more about the 'game day' atmosphere? I mean besides going to Libby's...what is there? Seriously I know there are pre game like things for FOMH members etc...
                    I'm speaking more about the atmosphere inside the Whitt. Now, I was younger then, but I remember the place being packed, loud and electric. There were times when the crowd rose up and seemingly willed UNH to score in a key situation. The home atmosphere used to be daunting to opponents and incredibly attractive, I'd imagine, to recruits. Now its rarely, if ever, close to full and the only people making any noise at all are the students. Its not close to what it once was...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      I'm speaking more about the atmosphere inside the Whitt. Now, I was younger then, but I remember the place being packed, loud and electric. There were times when the crowd rose up and seemingly willed UNH to score in a key situation. The home atmosphere used to be daunting to opponents and incredibly attractive, I'd imagine, to recruits. Now its rarely, if ever, close to full and the only people making any noise at all are the students. Its not close to what it once was...
                      Ok so you know my time there has been very limited and watching those old You Tubes of the Snively days are amazing. The place can be morgue like and one can hear a pin drop on occassion. Or worse yet the buzzing of the overhead lights...
                      Sitting where we do right next to the kids they do try to get some cheers going but they are not constant like say the noise at Conte. And to be honest that's one reason I might NOT go to Conte again (watch it on Tv) or def not sit near the student section. Haha. But I give the 'Cat Pack ' Capts credit coz they are trying. Maybe the new Tron will be a difference maker but I doubt the current crowd at the Whitt wants to do that dance or worse yet kiss cam stuff 😝
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-11-2015, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        Well said, Dan. Of course, if coach wants to kick back some of his salary, .... It's an easy excuse that may be valid in 5%of the cases, but ignores that we have secured commitments from All-Americans and/or all stars Laleggia and vecchione and cam Reid, Matt white and dan Kolomatis and Keith Yandle. We lost those because the coaches either screwed up by deferring the player, or by failing to monitor the recruit's academic development to ensure they would be eligible. Let's focus on basics before we focus on the "easy" excuses.
                        I think the clearest way to express this in UNH terms is: The football program had/has a right to complain about facilities. That stadium is so far out of date compared to the competition. You would have to expect those facility limitations had some impact. This assumes that the University should have a football team and all those costs.

Hockey on the other hand I have a hard time not throwing the B.S. flag, it may now be 20 years old but it is still better or comparable to most D1 teams.
                        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                          So that was then and this is now? UNH is alone in that kind of stuff? Here's hoping the mistakes of the past become the lessons for the future. The arrival of what I believe are two savvy assistants who have the ability to turn those issues around. Those players we have now are excited and eager.

One of the last games of the season I chatted with Dylan Chanter and Mike McNicholas and can still hear and see the conviction in both of their excitement for next season. "I cannot wait". Me neither. Flame away!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            "Our national studies show that a program’s facilities – the track, the weight room, stadium, and other areas where they will spend time as an athlete – actually factors very little into [a recruits] final decision as to whether or not they accept your offer. Yet, facilities and the surroundings are usually one of the things that a coach will primarily focus on in their recruiting; moreover, I’ve seen coaches base their entire recruiting strategy around what they feel those facilities will sell to a potential student-athlete."

http://dantudor.com/facilities-just-...your-recruits/

I absolutely HATE hearing all of the excuses as to WHY UNH can't compete for recruits. If the coaches at UNH have lost their belief that UNH and the Whitt have a lot to offer than they should be leaving for greener pastures because they will no longer be able to sell recruits on their program and university. The Whitt is still WELL ABOVE average in terms of college facilities and MILES ahead of the homes of recent National Champions Yale, Union and Providence. As Tudor, who heavily studies recruiting for a living, states (and as I've learned first hand as a recruiter) facilities very often DO NOT have a dramatic impact on recruiting and until players are transferring out because they hate the UNH experience then facilities really aren't an issue...

Good facilities, good academics, great campus, great location - any good recruiter should be able to sell the heck out of UNH. If there is ANY negative that exists now, that didn't exist in the early years of the Whitt it is the game day atmosphere. THAT is lacking and certainly doesn't sell recruits like it used too...
                            I don't think you recognize what is underneath Scheinder Arena for the players...A full training room for both hockey programs and lacrosse, an excellent weight room just for the three sports, a shooting room, locker rooms, etc...

Some of the facilities are showcased here for the lax team and the hockey team has their own meeting room which is similar to PC's.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/articl...ovidence/30158
                            Last edited by The Zlax45; 06-11-2015, 05:08 PM.
                            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                              I think the clearest way to express this in UNH terms is: The football program had/has a right to complain about facilities. That stadium is so far out of date compared to the competition. You would have to expect those facility limitations had some impact. This assumes that the University should have a football team and all those costs.
                              There are at least three (3) superior HS football facilities to Cowell Stadium within a 15-20 minute drive from Durham. And no, that is not an exaggeration. And let's just say NH isn't exactly Texas in how it views the importance of HS football.

That example alone renders the importance of facilities argument for recruiting success dead in the water.

Comment

Working...
                              X