Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Chairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Cha

Here is a link. I don't see anything about "holding UNH responsible for hiring Souza when Umile retires":

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...701-story.html

"He's going to his alma mater and he's going to work for a coach I have the utmost respect for. Dick Umile, when you look at not only his success as a hockey coach, but how he mentors his players, he's a coach I can honestly say truly cares about every kid who comes through his program. Mike couldn't have a better mentor over the next couple of years before he takes over as head coach. It's a wonderful opportunity and I'm really happy for him. It will be a seemless transition when Dick decides to retire. I told Dick I would support it if they were going to move him to head coach. Dick said, 'That's our plan.' I was very happy. I have a great relationship with Dick. He's an upfront, honest guy. I know he cares about Mike like a son."

Chuck has gone off the deep end in his criticism of Cav. Is it a little odd to see another coach talk about another program's plan to this extent? Yes, it certainly is. But Chuck is spinning it way out of control.
    Last edited by J.D.; 07-10-2015, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015 Offseason - Future Planning ...or Just Rearranging the Deck Cha

Has Umile come out and said anything about what Cav said? If not, nothing to see here. Move along and be happy you have a quality assistant like Souza.

Comment

"Mike Souza Named UNH Associate Head Coach"
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Here is a link. I don't see anything about "holding UNH responsible for hiring Souza when Umile retires":

"He's going to his alma mater and he's going to work for a coach I have the utmost respect for. Dick Umile, when you look at not only his success as a hockey coach, but how he mentors his players, he's a coach I can honestly say truly cares about every kid who comes through his program. Mike couldn't have a better mentor over the next couple of years before he takes over as head coach. It's a wonderful opportunity and I'm really happy for him. It will be a seemless transition when Dick decides to retire. I told Dick I would support it if they were going to move him to head coach. Dick said, 'That's our plan.' I was very happy. I have a great relationship with Dick. He's an upfront, honest guy. I know he cares about Mike like a son."

Chuck has gone off the deep end in his criticism of Cav. Is it a little odd to see another coach talk about another program's plan to this extent? Yes, it certainly is. But Chuck is spinning it way out of control.
          I just think Cav is thrilled for Souza ...yea probably said too much about it but sometimes that happens...this is coming from someone who knows...😳
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Has Umile come out and said anything about what Cav said? If not, nothing to see here. Move along and be happy you have a quality assistant like Souza.
            Exciting isn't it!!! I'd do handsprings if it wouldn't kill me... 😉

On another note off to the BU/BC charity game where Johnny Hockey and Friends (maybe Stevie Moses!!!!!) will be playing...So psyched to be going to a hockey game...season never ends..

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

I'm not the one who drummed up the "holding UNH responsible for hiring Souza when Umile retires" theory, J.D. I think that was one of the apologist UConn fans, trying to justify Cav's blatant meddling.

Reading today's press release, I don't see Coach Umile saying anything other than Souza coming on board as an equal partner with Coach Stewart ...

http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...20150710rgx966

DURHAM, N.H. – University of New Hampshire men's hockey head coach Dick Umile announced Friday that former Wildcat captain Mike Souza has been hired as associate head coach.

"Mike Souza was an outstanding player for us, he is a terrific coach and an even better person," Umile said. "I am excited to bring him back to UNH to work alongside fellow associate head coach and alum Glenn Stewart."

Souza, a 2000 UNH graduate, returns to Durham after spending the previous two seasons as a coach for Mike Cavanaugh at the University of Connecticut. Souza assisted with all aspects of the program, focusing primarily on power plays and directing recruiting efforts; he was promoted to associate head coach in April 2015. Last season, Souza played an integral role in transitioning UConn into Hockey East.

Prior to joining the Huskies, Souza began his coaching career with a two-year stint (2011-13) at Brown University as an assistant coach. There, he was responsible for recruiting, game and practice preparation and video breakdown. During games he primarily worked with forwards.

Souza graduated from UNH after a decorated four-year career with the Wildcats from 1996-2000. During that time, the squad reached two Frozen Fours, including the national championship game against the University of Maine in 1999. In 1999-2000, Souza won the Jim Urquhart Award as Student-Athlete of the Year, which is the highest honor bestowed upon a graduating student-athlete at UNH.

Souza, the 67th overall selection in the 1997 NHL Entry Draft by the Chicago Blackhawks, played professionally in the American Hockey League and East Coast Hockey League from 2000-05, and he played six additional seasons (2005-11) in Europe.

"Dick Umile has been my coach, mentor and a huge influence on my decision to become a coach, and it is an honor to be part of his staff," Souza said. "I am humbled and appreciative to return to my alma mater in this capacity, and I look forward to working alongside Coach Umile and Coach Stewart with the goal of competing for a national championship this season."

Souza replaces former associate head coach Scott Borek, who took the same position at Providence College.

Guys (and gals), I'm not being naïve here and dismissing that the issue of succession hasn't come up in discussions with Souza. If I were Coach Souza, I'd sure as heck like to know the score if I was going to be changing jobs.

Originally posted by Luce Canaan View Post
              I told Dick I would support it if they were going to move him to head coach. Dick said, 'That's our plan.'
              My takes - and feel free to agree/disagree as I claim no inside knowledge on ANY of this - but ...

* I don't doubt for a second there was a discussion between LC and Coach Umile
              * Coach Umile clearly wanted Souza on board, so I don't doubt he said "That's the plan" just to placate LC
              * "That's the plan" can change pretty quickly, based on any number of things that may/may not happen
              ==> I'm guessing Coach Parker's "plan" didn't involve retiring two years ago until he was nudged out the door
              * Having LC's "support" was probably moot, lest UConn have been saddled with a disgruntled top assistant
              * LC didn't wait around too long to line up Souza's replacement, so again - "support" was probably moot
              * Details of a confidential employment-related discussion between two coaches shouldn't go public
              * Interestingly, Coach Dennehy was not blabbing about his coaching tree when Stewart left MC last summer
              ==> And Stewart worked for Dennehy four (4) times longer than Souza worked for what's-his-face

In the end, LC was probably just PO'ed that he and his four (4) rings lost his top assistant to Coach Umile and his zero (0) rings. It's a tough lesson, but LC has to understand he's not working for Uncle Jerry at The Heights anymore. LC probably hasn't realized that at UConn, he is in Coach Belichick's "Cleveland" years, but he'll probably figure that out once he moves on to his next job ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Seeing as Bomber broke the news, and now says the transition is promised in writing, I'll go with him.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  Seeing as Bomber broke the news, and now says the transition is promised in writing, I'll go with him.
                  Hey, I'm the guy who doubted my sources when they told me tales of a "lifetime contract".

Bomber has been spot on with his info on this situation, so it's hard to disagree with him.

Maybe Bomber can offer some insight into Coach Umile's thoughts on his new BFF down in Storrs ...
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

To me, meddling implies Cav actually has some power in all of this. He doesn't. Unless I am not aware of something that was written into Souza's UConn contract about where he can leave for/why etc. I doubt that there is anything like that in it. In the end if Souza does not become head coach when Umile retires, there is no recourse for Cav. It's between Souza and Umile/UNH. So yes, Cav certainly appears to have spoken about something you don't typically see. But it's rather meaningless. He's not hostile toward Umile/UNH in any way. Quite the opposite based off what I read. I am assuming his comments about respecting Umile etc. are genuine. Maybe others know differently.

Comment

Well watching Stevie Moses play with BU (gulp) tonight in the Comm Ave Classic...better late than never!! ☺️

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Well watching Stevie Moses play with BU (gulp) tonight in the Comm Ave Classic...better late than never!! ☺️
                        He was known to some as "Mr High and Wide" for his shot during his UNH days, but fun to watch him create space from seemingly nothing. Another one of those short speedy guys that is so much fun to watch. :-)

Comment

• UNH gets Matt Dawson, a defenseman from USHL originally from British Columbia to fill Masonius's spot next year.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                            UNH gets Matt Dawson, a defenseman from USHL originally from British Columbia to fill Masonius's spot next year.
                            On his Twitter he says upcoming season so does this imply now...or "next year" (which to me means 2016-17)...Looking forward to learning more!

ps...hoping to see our roster finalized and to read Coach's announcement of this year's class. Maybe with this news we are moving closer to this..
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-11-2015, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Matt Dawson 5'10", 160 lbs. left shot:
                              " An offensive-minded defenseman who likes to make a good first pass and get up the ice in a timely fashion, Dawson’s amateur career began in 2012-13 with the PIJHL’s Delta Ice Hawks, a season in which he tabbed 14 points (2 G, 12 A) over 37 regular-season games. He followed that production up with a 34-point (6 G, 28 A) 2013-14 campaign with the BCHL’s Surrey Eagles, helping the club take home the Fred Page Cup. " (From Gamblers' website)
                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Was wondering if those of you in the know regarding recruiting would mind answering these questions for me so that I can better understand the 'process' of identifying the recruit to having them pull the jersey over their head. It's been a bit of a learning curve for me and I'd like to be better educated which is how I operate with most things being a teacher...ha!
                                And if no one feels like it, well that's ok...

-So recruiting is done 'two years out'. This was said recently on a post by 'Watcher I believe. Is that the norm? Is this the 'commit' phase?

-What happens after that? Do all recruits receive and sign, a NLI and when does that typically happen in the process?

-Obviously a team can accelerate a recruit as we did with Tirone this season...what about our newest incoming player, Matt Dawson. (am assuming he is working to come here this season unless I have misunderstood) Is this similar to the Tirone example?

If a 'primer' exists out there then maybe that's what I need to learn and don't expect to become an expert but being a fan that's in it for the long run, I want to understand how it basically works.

Anyone out there that has valid info please feel free to post. I really appreciate it!!! This post is an honest attempt to better understand the above and is not intending to drag any prospect or coach, for that matter, through the muck. Just basic, objective answers please.
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-11-2015, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X