PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

C-H-C
06-25-2015, 08:56 PM
According to Jersey Hitmen tweet, Zak Keryluk commits for next year:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=253099

Bonin21
06-25-2015, 09:04 PM
Whioux?

UWisco
06-25-2015, 10:02 PM
Keryluk has to be a walk-on type kid I assume. Numbers are kind of scary to look at based on the league he plays in. Originally from Verona.

Chuck Schwartz
06-25-2015, 10:02 PM
Oh boy.

WiscDC
06-25-2015, 10:50 PM
Christian Dvorak...Brock Boeser...Tier-III junior...wow. (I suppose picking potential recruits who would be walk-on types but...better...would make for a better reply. I don't know who they are, though.)

solovsfett
06-26-2015, 12:02 AM
Is Eaves just burning this team to the ground on his way out? Exactly what is the plan/reasoning bringing in an abundance of mediocre players to supplement a 4-26 team?

Chuck Schwartz
06-26-2015, 12:20 AM
Wisconsin has the market cornered on D3 recruits. Maybe Alvarez is thinking about demoting the program?

I don't understand this addition at all. I say this with 100% seriousness... there are probably better players walking around the Wisconsin campus that are playing intramural.

IndianaBadger1995
06-26-2015, 03:48 AM
I won't say anything except that this isn't that surprising. Don't want to point fingers and anger Indiana and Wisko.
Do you think I like where the program is or how Eaves' has been doing? Honest question since you seem to think I believe Eaves is great at his job. I wanted him to be fired because of his hires for assistants but I'm not gonna sit here and complain to people that have zero influence on the situation. There's better things to do in life.

We DESERVE answers. Alvarez is as terrible an AD as he was good as a coach.

Indiana- we care about little things? You mean winning? Cause that's huge! Wins and titles that's all that matter.

You want fun times? Than win!

Little things as in who's head coach. Wouldn't matter if we were winning there would still be people complaining about Eaves. The main issue with Eaves' tenure has been recruiting. Oz was a great recruiter when he was here from 2004-2010. I'd say Osiecki had an impact on the 2004 through 2014 teams with his recruits. During that time the Badgers had 20+wins in 7/10 years, 8/10 years if you include the 19 win season. What does that tell us? He does great with a decent recruiter which Gary Schuchuk and Matt Walsh were NOT as evidenced by their recruits. Strand and Bittner sound extremely promising in the recruiting department.

Comparisons to Don Lucia past 10 years..

20+ win seasons
Eaves: 6/10
Lucia: 6/10

NCAA appearances
Eaves: 5/10
Lucia: 6/10

Frozen Fours
Eaves: 2
Lucia: 3

National title appearances
Eaves: 2
Lucia: 1

Championships:
Eaves: 1
Lucia: 0

Timothy A
06-26-2015, 07:10 AM
Wisconsin has the market cornered on D3 recruits. Maybe Alvarez is thinking about demoting the program?

I don't understand this addition at all. I say this with 100% seriousness... there are probably better players walking around the Wisconsin campus that are playing intramural.

It'a just a depth thing, right? I have to assume there's no more top 2 line talent out there anymore, other than maybe Szmatula who got released by Northeastern. I'm not sure what else they could have done from a numbers standpoint. The bigger question is this: who found and recruited these last 2 questionable guys, MM or Strand/Bittner? One would assume MM since Strand/Bittner have only been there a few weeks. What are those 2 guys thinking right now? :O I know what I'm thinking is what you are thinking.....:O.

markwojo
06-26-2015, 07:52 AM
No, but it'd be quite appreciated if you'd take your negativity to the athletic department where it would actually be useful, not on some message board. It's ****ing annoying reading the constant whining amongst posters on here. Get a grip or use the energy somewhere where it'd be effective.

Sorry...a fan message board is exactly where fans can vent about a once proud program that has been turned into a dumpster fire on Eaves watch.

By the way, the athletic dept isn't paying attention or care about what fans think. Watch for the massive attrition of season tickets to continue and that hopefully at some point will get the attention of the management. Problem is, when they do fire Eaves next Spring, the hole will have been dug deeper then it should have been if the powers that be had a clue and did what was obvious this Spring. Instead, we rearranged the deck chairs on the titanic.

bucky15
06-26-2015, 08:08 AM
How can you fill a position with a player who has never truly dominated points wise at any level? I know points don't always reflect the true story, but come on those are weak numbers even at the WI HS level.
We have a surplus on these type of players. Why not take a chance on at least a proven goal scorer at one of these lower junior levels and try to fix there weak spots.

Andy is probably right about the intramural hockey on campus there are some kids from the metro that play on those teams that have dominated in MNHS. They just didn't want to deal with junior hockey.

Once again, things are not adding up. They need to get some 4/5th line players that are going to push for spots. Going against players in practice who are two steps to slow shows up on Friday and Saturday night even if those said players don't dress with the team.

Head shaker.

WiscTJK
06-26-2015, 08:27 AM
no offense to the kid, but this is unbelievable. This is the best we can do?

bucky15
06-26-2015, 08:32 AM
no offense to the kid, but this is unbelievable. This is the best we can do?

I know I felt bad posting mine, for the kid's sake. It is like MM is stacking the bottom forward lines with what can be compared to having a 3rd and 4th goalie that are WI high school walk on.

Almington
06-26-2015, 08:48 AM
How can you fill a position with a player who has never truly dominated points wise at any level? I know points don't always reflect the true story, but come on those are weak numbers even at the WI HS level.
We have a surplus on these type of players. Why not take a chance on at least a proven goal scorer at one of these lower junior levels and try to fix there weak spots.

I suspect that this player recruited himself more or less. While the staff did give a blessing. I'm sure that it was more: I'm a WI kid who is coming to UW, I'd love the opportunity to walk-on to the team. My guess is that he'll be with the team for one or two years tops, before he decides to "focus on academics"

Once again, things are not adding up. They need to get some 4/5th line players that are going to push for spots. Going against players in practice who are two steps to slow shows up on Friday and Saturday night even if those said players don't dress with the team.

Head shaker.
This is my primary concern as well, this team just does not have the depth to push the pile of average to slightly above average players to get better. These players are not 6 anymore, practicing against cones and pylons is not going to help their decision making and build their instincts on how to react.

WiscTJK
06-26-2015, 08:48 AM
Do you think I like where the program is or how Eaves' has been doing? Honest question since you seem to think I believe Eaves is great at his job. I wanted him to be fired because of his hires for assistants but I'm not gonna sit here and complain to people that have zero influence on the situation. There's better things to do in life.

Yes, as you say you wanted him fired, then go on to defend his record. Defend bringing in another 4th line player.

Better things to do? But yet you still come here.

Recruiting is the life blood of a college hockey program and Eaves frankly sucks at it. The good assistants he picked early on carried him and he hasn't had a good assistant pick in over 10 years - Patrick in 2005. Based on last nights commitment, its not a good start for the next two assistants. But I will be fair, it is too early to judge them now.

Almington
06-26-2015, 08:56 AM
Yes, as you say you wanted him fired, then go on to defend his record. Defend bringing in another 4th line player.

Better things to do? But yet you still come here.

Recruiting is the life blood of a college hockey program and Eaves frankly sucks at it. The good assistants he picked early on carried him and he hasn't had a good assistant pick in over 10 years - Osiecki in 2004. Based on last nights commitment, its not looking good for the next two assistants. But I will be fair that it is too early to judge them now.

I think that you are underappreciating the job that Patrick did as the2nd assistant. The Butters/Shichuk/Walsh fiasco was just mind bafflingly stupid. The new guys shouldn't be judged (yet) by the recruiting nightmare and derth of pre-existing talent on this team. I have some hope thatching scan improve, but I wonder if it will be enough to turn the ship around or just crash it on the beach so it doesn't go over Niagara Falls again.

Gurtholfin
06-26-2015, 09:13 AM
Keryluk has to be a walk-on type kid I assume. Numbers are kind of scary to look at based on the league he plays in. Originally from Verona.

Won't surprise me if he's a walk-on.

He's a legacy recruit and comes from serious money, so no scholarship dollars would be needed.

WiscTJK
06-26-2015, 09:40 AM
I think that you are underappreciating the job that Patrick did as the2nd assistant. The Butters/Shichuk/Walsh fiasco was just mind bafflingly stupid. The new guys shouldn't be judged (yet) by the recruiting nightmare and derth of pre-existing talent on this team. I have some hope thatching scan improve, but I wonder if it will be enough to turn the ship around or just crash it on the beach so it doesn't go over Niagara Falls again.

I looked back at the record books and missed Patrick. He was 2005 and I changed my post accordingly. you are right.

Hammy
06-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Comparisons to Don Lucia past 10 years..

Lucia has hung way more league banners over that time than Eaves has. It's not just win totals but what you win that fans care most about.

The other factor you can't ignore is Lucia was dealing with a rather serious health condition for roughly two years that had a significant impact on his ability to do things the way he normally would. Not coincidentally that was about the time the Gophers entered into a rough patch for 3+ seasons. (and he had the poison named John Hill there too... lol)

drop_the_puck
06-26-2015, 12:17 PM
So we probably have a 1st line, but I'm thinking 4th line cubed works for the rest.