PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

markwojo
05-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Somehow pull out another rabbit and add either Fox, or Dennis Cholowski and the Badgers will be back right now.

Any reason to believe Cholowski has not already singed his LOI with St Cloud?

Wisko McBadgerton
05-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Any reason to believe Cholowski has not already singed his LOI with St Cloud?

Shoot. Another one bites the dust.

There was until the last day or two as far as I could tell. Heisenberg has changed him to signed sometime within the last couple of days, although I still don't see it anywhere else. But I now assume they have worked it out. Was a long shot but still a tiny bit disappointing as Cholowski was originally slated for 2017 with the Cloudies. With all their D back except one, on paper at least, it seemed like a good fit for him to switch to UW with the new staff and a guaranteed top playing spot. On the other hand, good for him for sticking to his commitment.

markwojo
05-10-2016, 11:47 AM
A dman name that has several dots that connect....Grant Gabriele. He had been committed to Western Michigan until March and is now open in his recruitment. He played a year for Don Granato in the USDT and crossed paths there with Kunin, Fredrick, Greenway, & Ryan Wagner. He played part of season with Max Zimmer and Parsells in Chicago (USHL). He is right handed of which the only options I see on the roster or possibly incoming are Sexton and McGuire (all of Davison, Linhart, Greenway, Tischke, Bunz, Hurley, Berkovitz, Stillwell, & Vance are left handed!!!) How the hell do you have a roster constructed that consists of Sexton and McGuire (a frickin' forward) as your only RH defenseman options?

Wisko McBadgerton
05-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Can't help but feel like we're all going to be one big happy family, all on the same page again in no time.

I mentioned a possibility in that D Grant Gabriele decommitted from Western Michigan last week. He played for Donny at the NTDP the two previous years

BadgerHockey9
05-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Can't help but feel like we're all going to be one big happy family, all on the same page again in no time.

Do you know if Grant is being recruited by Wisco? Looks like he had a solid year in the USHL-9-17-26 between 3 teams.Heres a little blurb about Grant from a draft site.

Long term prospect on defense who is very offensively gifted and instinctive in the attack some but is still working to improve his defensive coverage, positioning, pivots, and gap control. Needs improvement on reading the opposition attacks and make better decisions with the puck in his end. On the attack he activates very well, and is a good passer there. Forces the play from the blueline, walks it well and also is good at timing his jumps into the slot to receive pucks and take shots. Has little physicality of edge to his game at this juncture.

óBill Placzek

Wisko McBadgerton
05-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Do you know if Grant is being recruited by Wisco? Looks like he had a solid year in the USHL-9-17-26 between 3 teams.Heres a little blurb about Grant from a draft site.

Long term prospect on defense who is very offensively gifted and instinctive in the attack some but is still working to improve his defensive coverage, positioning, pivots, and gap control. Needs improvement on reading the opposition attacks and make better decisions with the puck in his end. On the attack he activates very well, and is a good passer there. Forces the play from the blueline, walks it well and also is good at timing his jumps into the slot to receive pucks and take shots. Has little physicality of edge to his game at this juncture.

óBill Placzek

I don't know. What I think is most interesting about it is that it's hard to imagine another coach having as good of relationship with him as Donny does, so on the surface you'd think if the Badgers asked, they'd definitely get him. He's a good player, Chuck thought he could possibly even be a late round pick somewhere this year and the Badgers do really seem to need another puck mover. So why haven't they pulled the trigger?

The reason that I'd like to go with is that they feel they have a bead on someone better, but I don't know that for sure. It seems a plausible explanation though.

markwojo
05-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Logic tells you Fox is the best RHD available for next season that is not legally tied to anyone (Ivy's not doing LOI's) and Gabriele is the best uncommitted RHD. Both played for Donny Granato in the USDP and he should have them/their parent's numbers in his phone's contact list...this staff has reached out to both weeks ago to gage interest or they should be fired for incompetence. Likewise, Greenway was probably an instant contact....but my guess is there is a little lag from initial contact/expression of interest and doing a visit, sorting through choices, and making a commitment....and it may take some longer then others to go through that process.

Wisko McBadgerton
05-10-2016, 06:40 PM
I guess if we're going only RHD that leaves out Keegan Ford. I wonder if he'd have to sit another year to transfer back to Wisconsin?

Ronnieb
05-10-2016, 07:15 PM
I guess if we're going only RHD that leaves out Keegan Ford. I wonder if he'd have to sit another year to transfer back to Wisconsin?

Nothing preventing him from returning to the Badgers and playing immediately.

Timothy A
05-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Nothing preventing him from returning to the Badgers and playing immediately.

So if he transfers to another school, sits out a year, he could go back and play for his old team since he never played for the new one? One would think by definition he transfered and signed with another school, therefore he'd have to transfer and sit out another year. I can't believe the ncaa would be that logical and let him play for UW.

He and Doughtery just should have stuck it out. Of course, then UW may have won more games and MM would still be there.

markwojo
05-11-2016, 11:42 AM
So if he transfers to another school, sits out a year, he could go back and play for his old team since he never played for the new one? One would think by definition he transfered and signed with another school, therefore he'd have to transfer and sit out another year. I can't believe the ncaa would be that logical and let him play for UW.

He and Doughtery just should have stuck it out. Of course, then UW may have won more games and MM would still be there.

I would imagine that if Mich Tech were willing to let Ford out of his LOI (like UW did with Astren), he would be free to go to Wisconsin or anywhere of his choosing. The problem is that we have a logjam at LD on the current roster and have Giddon and Max Inamoto in the pipeline as LHD coming as soon as next fall. We desperately need a RHD, not another LHD.

Ronnieb
05-11-2016, 12:30 PM
I would imagine that if Mich Tech were willing to let Ford out of his LOI (like UW did with Astren), he would be free to go to Wisconsin or anywhere of his choosing. The problem is that we have a logjam at LD on the current roster and have Giddon and Max Inamoto in the pipeline as LHD coming as soon as next fall. We desperately need a RHD, not another LHD.

If he signed a letter of intent, that's another whole problem. I suspect he would never be let out of it. If no LOI, he could return to Badgerland like nothing ever happened.

techtodenver
05-11-2016, 12:34 PM
I personally figured Ross Colton would be interested in the new staff, I don't know how his situation with Vermont is holding up but I know he wanted out and there can't be many teams that have spots available for next season

markwojo
05-11-2016, 01:56 PM
I personally figured Ross Colton would be interested in the new staff, I don't know how his situation with Vermont is holding up but I know he wanted out and there can't be many teams that have spots available for next season

Pretty sure we could make room for him ;) That is an interesting name, if Vermont will give him a release from his LOI. Really hard to wrap me head around why you would want to hold a kid to a LOI when that kid don't want to be there. In hockey, a high end kid like Colton can just go to the CHL and still not play for your school, so why play hard ball and not give him a release (about the only reason would be if he wants to play at a rival school or maybe someone on your regular schedule).

Ronnieb
05-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Pretty sure we could make room for him ;) That is an interesting name, if Vermont will give him a release from his LOI. Really hard to wrap me head around why you would want to hold a kid to a LOI when that kid don't want to be there. In hockey, a high end kid like Colton can just go to the CHL and still not play for your school, so why play hard ball and not give him a release (about the only reason would be if he wants to play at a rival school or maybe someone on your regular schedule).

We are talking about Vermont here

herbst20
05-11-2016, 06:00 PM

Sounding more and more he will honor his commitment to Vermont. That's the info I am hearing here in Cedar Rapids where he played the last 2 years

markwojo
05-11-2016, 09:00 PM
Sounding more and more he will honor his commitment to Vermont. That's the info I am hearing here in Cedar Rapids where he played the last 2 years

Until he gets drafted and that organizations suggests an OHL option

herbst20
05-12-2016, 12:30 AM
He is a '96 and would require a OA spot in the OHL. I would guess he goes to Vermont

techtodenver
05-12-2016, 12:38 PM
He is a '96 and would require a OA spot in the OHL. I would guess he goes to Vermont

Should just sit out a year, Sneddon has UVM going down and fast (should have never left the ECAC), with him signing his NLI already he's kind of screwed for this year if Vermont are going to really go against his wishes but playing 3 years (really using this year to bulk up) might be better then 4 disappointing years.

herbst20
05-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Should just sit out a year, Sneddon has UVM going down and fast (should have never left the ECAC), with him signing his NLI already he's kind of screwed for this year if Vermont are going to really go against his wishes but playing 3 years (really using this year to bulk up) might be better then 4 disappointing years.

That was discussed as an option as well. Cedar Rapids beat writer Jeff Johnson mentioned it in an article in April.