PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Wisko McBadgerton
04-09-2016, 07:52 AM
Yeah. Can't have it both ways. All those guys come in and Mike is the probably the coach for 10 more years. So to me, you kind of have to pick which way you'd prefer it to be going forward.

I've asked around a lot as to what people think about this fall, and the consensus seems to be that the staff will press hard to add players even though the window is slim. So that probably means either Ivies, or other committed players that haven't signed an NLI yet. You might especially look to players that had Wisconsin on their short list before choosing another school. To me that suggests one superstar in particular that committed elsewhere last October. Any guesses as to who I have in mind?

Might help if Detroit loses today and gets knocked out of the playoffs this weekend I suppose. Really have to get moving as I believe NLI signing opens up next Wednesday.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Yeah. Can't have it both ways. All those guys come in and Mike is the probably the coach for 10 more years. So to me, you kind of have to pick which way you'd prefer it to be going forward.Doesn't do a lot to take the sting off, but it's better than nothing.

I've asked around a lot as to what people think about this fall, and the consensus seems to be that the staff will press hard to add players even though the window is slim. So that probably means either Ivies, or other committed players that haven't signed an NLI yet. You might especially look to players that had Wisconsin on their short list before choosing another school. To me that suggests one superstar in particular that committed elsewhere last October. Any guesses as to who I have in mind?Fabbro? Jost?

Bonin21
04-09-2016, 11:37 AM
Fabbro? Jost?

Good luck... Watched Greenway last night. He's raw, but definitely could be a solid D1 dman. Could see you taking him.

Wisko McBadgerton
04-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Doesn't do a lot to take the sting off, but it's better than nothing.

Fabbro? Jost?

Well, it occurred to me that Fabbro would almost have to be the first call for Oz and Donny. Or second I guess. Ron Vincent (the managing partner for Penticton) was at the coaches introduction so they wouldn't have to call him, but they could possibly call Justin Schultz and ask him to intervene as well, since Justin played for Oz and is also a big idol of Fabbro's. It's obviously super hard to turn someone from a commitment, but it seems he's one guy for which they'd have to pull out all the stops and try to get him back to Wisconsin. It's probably a long shot but it's not impossible they could get him to reconsider given the dramatic changes.

Recruiting dead period from Monday until Thursday to give commits a chance to sign NLI's on Wednesday. Whatever they are trying to do with committed guys, they're almost done doing it.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Good thing we had Don on the trail right away.

Wisko McBadgerton
04-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Good luck... Watched Greenway last night. He's raw, but definitely could be a solid D1 dman. Could see you taking him.

Greenway seems to have all the raw material in the world. Unfortunately a little bird mentioned to me that there could possibly be an academic issue there as far as UW goes. Nothing definite though.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-09-2016, 12:53 PM
*sigh* to the 1000th power. Snap out of it! That was then, this is now! All hail G2O1 (Granato squared, Oz to the 1st power for those who aren't mathies.)!

What is that, Digranatomonozide?

It's not quite the right order, but I'm leaning towards referring to them as OGG.

Wisko McBadgerton
04-09-2016, 12:53 PM
Good thing we had Don on the trail right away.

Gentlemen's agreement? Sorry, I'm new. Never heard of it.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-09-2016, 12:54 PM
... there could possibly be an academic issue there as far as UW goes. Nothing definite though.

In which case, there's always Minny. Nyuk nyuk.

sweatpants
04-09-2016, 01:59 PM
but they could possibly call Justin Schultz and ask him to intervene as well, since Justin played for Oz and is also a big idol of Fabbro's.

Can't do that. That would be a recruiting violation. Fabbro has to initiate contact.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-09-2016, 02:18 PM
Can't do that. That would be a recruiting violation. Fabbro has to initiate contact.

Sort of like how Patrick Wiercioch "initiated" contact with Denver?

In all seriousness, though, if a kid was considering backing out and had interest in UW before, it's not u reasonable to think that he might have given Don G a heads up.

Wisko McBadgerton
04-09-2016, 02:58 PM
Sort of like how Patrick Wiercioch "initiated" contact with Denver?

In all seriousness, though, if a kid was considering backing out and had interest in UW before, it's not u reasonable to think that he might have given Don G a heads up.

He means technically Justin Schultz (or any other "booster") can't call Fabbro and tell him to come to UW. Don can call Fabbro up until Monday however, and of course if interested Fabbro could call Justin with any questions about the staff, etc. Have to be careful with that stuff but I think it can all be arranged.

Edit: It's possible Schultz's relationship with Fabbro could predate his recruitment, so it could be a bit hazy as to how ok contact is. And also "arranged" is a bad word because it can't really be "arranged" by UW coaches, but I think we understand the gist.

UWisco
04-09-2016, 03:04 PM
I think Fabbro has signed his NLI with BU.

Wisko McBadgerton
04-09-2016, 03:25 PM
I think Fabbro has signed his NLI with BU.

You know, it's funny, Heisenberg lists him as signing, but BU blogs, etc. don't have any reports of him actually signing. And I can't find Quinn ever talking about him, so I'm really not so sure he did yet?

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-09-2016, 05:46 PM
Obviously moot point if he has in fact signed.

Wisko McBadgerton
04-10-2016, 08:39 AM
Ok, it's confirmed Fabbro has definitely signed.

It's not entirely moot though because if, as I assume is always the case, the staff just blindly acts on my every whim we could still get a recruiting violation. So there's that! :)

Just give me a few minutes and I'll come up with some more wild speculation.

Wisko McBadgerton
04-12-2016, 07:13 AM
Big day tomorrow as NLI signing opens up. I think we believe these guys have already signed:

Forwards-- Martin Sundberg, Max Zimmer, Dan Labosky.

Defense--Tony Stillwell, Matt Berkovitz, Jere Astren

And unsigned commits that I believe would be technically eligible for school in the fall:

Forwards-- Trent Frederic, Tarek Baker, Jack Becker, Grant Cruikshank, Trenton Bliss.

Defense- Carson Vance, Adam Parsells.

Will there be some other surprise out there? Who knows? Probably not yet, but perhaps we'll at least get the first inkling of the direction G2O is headed in by Thursday.

Bonin21
04-12-2016, 11:12 AM
Tyler Jette is a dman with upside I could see going to you and developing into a player the Gophers wish they had. Wyatt Aamodt is another name but I'm guessing he'd like to end up UMD.

Timothy A
04-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Tyler Jette is a dman with upside I could see going to you and developing into a player the Gophers wish they had. Wyatt Aamodt is another name but I'm guessing he'd like to end up UMD.

What are you waiting for? Shoot Oz a tweet.

techtodenver
04-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Are GGO really going to take players who haven't signed NLIs like Astren and Vance, I feel as if they haven't made it binding then they'll tell those kids to look elsewhere. Just to note James (JD) Greenway does struggle with his academics so it'll be interesting to see where he lands