PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

LordofBrewtown
03-28-2016, 08:08 PM
I was looking at it more from the students perspective. Does Alex Shuchuk have to sit a year if he's (effectively, though presumably not actually) cut from the team?

I believe that he does have to sit. At least if it's like other sports - some coaches have suggested (and I agree) that if the coach that recruited you is fired/leaves, you should be able to transfer without sitting a year. Of course, it should be a binding 4 yr scholarship too, not something coaches renew/revoke

Wisko McBadgerton
03-28-2016, 09:40 PM
I believe Alex Shuchuk and other guys in his same situation could play D III immediately. If they are considered walk-ons I believe it's likely they could also transfer to another D1 school without sitting. Scholarship players would have to sit one year although they could also petition the NCAA for an exemption because of the coaching change. Normally the NCAA doesn't grant exemptions in this situation, but guys that have never played one second might have some luck.

sweatpants
03-28-2016, 09:58 PM
I believe Alex Shuchuk and other guys in his same situation could play D III immediately.

Correct

If they are considered walk-ons I believe it's likely they could also transfer to another D1 school without sitting.

Not correct

Scholarship players would have to sit one year although they could also petition the NCAA for an exemption because of the coaching change. Normally the NCAA doesn't grant exemptions in this situation, but guys that have never played one second might have some luck.

Current scholarship players will have to sit out a year regardless unless they are scheduled to graduate in the spring. The NCAA got rid of the hardship waiver or whatever it was called last year, but that rule was geared more towards players to be closer to a sick family member. Current recruits that have already signed LOI's, just need a full release from the school. They can go wherever they want without sitting a year with the full release.

Bratbill
03-28-2016, 09:58 PM
Was listening to Wild hockey last week.
Star tribunes mike Russo was talking about the preliminary rules for nhl expansion in 2017/8
Said as of now teams draft picks could only be protected if in previous 2 years before expansion draft.
Thus anyone in college junior or senior season would likely have to be signed or allowed to be picked in expansion draft.
He felt this would really hurt college hockey!
Anyone else hear anything on this proposal?

sweatpants
03-28-2016, 10:10 PM
IIRC, the scholarships are issued on a yearly basis, so theoretically they could cull the herd pretty easily and have $$$ to spend.

The Big Ten just started offering 4 year "super scholarships" a couple years ago. They are the only conference that does this. I have no idea if any player is on one of these or even if it applies to Big Ten hockey, but my guess is it does.

Wisko McBadgerton
03-28-2016, 10:35 PM
The Big Ten just started offering 4 year "super scholarships" a couple years ago. They are the only conference that does this. I have no idea if any player is on one of these or even if it applies to Big Ten hockey, but my guess is it does.

Thanks for the clarification. I see the walk on deal only applies if you participated for 2 weeks or less, but I wasn't aware the hardship exemption was gone.

I believe there was a lawsuit regarding 1 year limit on scholarships that may have effected some change in the NCAA rules. I think there's also a lawsuit pending in Indiana federal court right now regarding the sitting out 1 year for transfers, so maybe it will all go away. Although the NCAA has been pretty successful over the years in defending most of it's rules.

sweatpants
03-28-2016, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I see the walk on deal only applies if you participated for 2 weeks or less, but I wasn't aware the hardship exemption was gone.

I believe there was a lawsuit regarding 1 year limit on scholarships that may have effected some change in the NCAA rules. I think there's also a lawsuit pending in Indiana federal court right now regarding the sitting out 1 year for transfers, so maybe it will all go away. Although the NCAA has been pretty successful over the years in defending most of it's rules.

Getting rid of the hardship waiver was a good move. It was made with good intentions, but too many fb/bb players were abusing it. I'm really indifferent on the walk-on rule. I don't think kids should be penalized if they weren't getting any aid to begin with, but the NCAA usually does have a decent justification for every rule. Maybe they are worried about tampering. I don't know.

Wisko McBadgerton
03-29-2016, 08:41 AM
Getting rid of the hardship waiver was a good move. It was made with good intentions, but too many fb/bb players were abusing it. I'm really indifferent on the walk-on rule. I don't think kids should be penalized if they weren't getting any aid to begin with, but the NCAA usually does have a decent justification for every rule. Maybe they are worried about tampering. I don't know.

I don't know if I agree. It probably wasn't the fb/bb players themselves abusing it as much as the coaches and admins working to abuse it. Actually as a general thing I don't think I agree that players should be restricted and have to sit. While the NCAA has claimed sitting a year is so student athletes can get acclimatized to their new school environment, I think we all know that has nothing to do with it. (I believe a court has said as much.) Restricting the players because the NCAA can't stop coaches and other "adults" from tampering seems wrong. How about just enforcing the rules against tampering and let players go to where they can get the best deal and the most playing time?

As you say the hardship waiver was instituted with good intentions to help certain players in specific situations, but because the NCAA can't control the "adults", players that legitimately need the waiver are now just out of luck. The NCAA is a mess.

DPlaya
03-31-2016, 10:40 PM
If we're talking immediate splash, F Patrick Khodorenko and D J.D. Greenway are uncommitted off the NTDP. Khodorenko is 2017 draft eligible so he'd be in a similar situation as Kunin was last year.

I mentioned a possibility in that D Grant Gabriele decommitted from Western Michigan last week. He played for Donny at the NTDP the two previous years. I'd like to know what happened there. He was listed as a top 100 prospect by Central Scouting for 2015 (#73 at one point, way ahead of Caleb Jones for example), but went undrafted. Why, I don't know exactly.

Khodorenko just committed to Michigan State. I don't think forward is the priority anyway if they can just keep Frederic, Zimmer and Baker committed and coming next year. Of course Kunin and/or Besse leaving early would hurt. The Badgers are in desperate need of quality defensemen. A high-end defenseman or two would really help going into next season.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-01-2016, 07:58 AM
We are really missing Dougherty (who could have finally played for Oz!) right now.

Wisko McBadgerton
04-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Khodorenko just committed to Michigan State. I don't think forward is the priority anyway if they can just keep Frederic, Zimmer and Baker committed and coming next year. Of course Kunin and/or Besse leaving early would hurt. The Badgers are in desperate need of quality defensemen. A high-end defenseman or two would really help going into next season.

Agree 100%. However it shakes out, we should be in shape to roll four lines with the top two being especially good. I think there's zero chance Besse isn't back and little chance Kunin isn't, but of course that is heavily dependent on who drafts him. To my mind though, he's absolutely right in his saying he wants to stay until he is ready for the show. Why guys leave early to play in the AHL is beyond me.

I'm very impressed with the progress Linhart made last year and if that continues he could be one of the most valuable D in the conference. What concerns me is that we're very short on physical, shut down, puck separating D that can really play in a conference that typically has a lot of big, strong forwards. Now Tischke has every physical skill you'd want in a top defensive D, very good skates and a beast in the weight room, and Sexton has a very good head for the game and a huge heart. If you could make one guy out of them you'd have a 1st rounder, no problem. But as it stands, we're hurting for D that can play D, get the puck back and protect a lead late in games. Not to mention take some pressure off our young goalies.

Unless Parsells is really ready to play in the top 4, we have Carson Vance and Matt Berkovitz who have reps as very good skaters and puck moving type D, but who have struggled a bit in generating the kinds of numbers expected of them. Both plus players though, as is Jere Astren, which is a positive. I'd be surprised if Stillwell (10 pts. -16) is coming in next year.

So there's plenty of room for NTDP's J.D. Greenway, who is just what is needed, but even for these coaches it's a huge uphill battle. Brother is at BU, and may be just as likely to go nowhere as the Plymouth Whalers own his OHL rights and are in the same arena.

I asked our former resident guru about WMU decommit Grant Gabriele and he indicated he's a pretty good player, possibly a later round pick this year. He also mentioned F Ross Colton (31g 30a 51gp for Cedar Rapids USHL) as being a much coveted player decommited from Vermont. Although I haven't seen where he's decommited, the Schwartz is seldom wrong about these things.

Oz is just going to have to work some real magic to get the D corp competitive by next fall

GBBadger14
04-01-2016, 12:34 PM
Would any of you guys mind giving your thoughts on what the forward lines might look like for next year? I'm not too familiar with the incoming freshmen and I'm curious as to where everyone thinks the frosh forwards will fit in. Thanks.

UWisco
04-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Would any of you guys mind giving your thoughts on what the forward lines might look like for next year? I'm not too familiar with the incoming freshmen and I'm curious as to where everyone thinks the frosh forwards will fit in. Thanks.

Kunin-Hughes-Besse
Johnson-Wagner-Soleway/Zimmer
Frederic-Malone-Rockwood
Labosky-Sundberg/Zirbel/Baker-Freytag

Obviously players can be interchanged in other spots.

Timothy A
04-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Kunin-Hughes-Besse
Johnson-Wagner-Soleway
Frederic-Malone-Rockwood
Labosky-Sundberg/Zirbel-Freytag

Obviously players can be interchanged in other spots.

Is Zimmer coming next year? I know Tarek Baker is, he'll easily crack the line-up. I think Zirbel and Labosky won't crack it. McGuire will be ahead of those guys IMO.

I see the 4th line as Freytag/Baker/McGuire. If Zimmer is coming, he's on the 2nd line in place of Soleway.

DPlaya
04-01-2016, 01:08 PM
Is Zimmer coming next year?

I have to think he is. Baker too unless new staff changes things.

UWisco
04-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Is Zimmer coming next year? I know Tarek Baker is, he'll easily crack the line-up. I think Zirbel and Labosky won't crack it. McGuire will be ahead of those guys IMO.

I see the 4th line as Freytag/Baker/McGuire. If Zimmer is coming, he's on the 2nd line in place of Soleway.

Labosky had shown ability to score in the USHL. I edited the lines. McGuire has looked better on D than F.

UWisco
04-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Soleway has shown no ability to score, wouldn't be surprised if he sat out games here and there.

WiscTJK
04-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Soleway has shown no ability to score, wouldn't be surprised if he sat out games here and there.

but he is the best face off man on the team, so he won't be sitting IMO. Plus his physical presence is needed.

DPlaya
04-01-2016, 01:25 PM

Kunin-Hughes-Besse
Wagner-Malone-Zimmer
Freytag-Rockwood-Frederic
Baker-Soleway-Johnson

Last line may include good penalty killers as well...

Wow...

MaizeRage
04-01-2016, 01:26 PM
I'd very surprised if Frederic wasn't a top-six forward next year.