PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Wisko McBadgerton
01-15-2016, 11:01 AM
We have played Appleton United twice this year. I did not see the games, but from what others have said he definitely stands out in games. Of course it is Wisconsin High School hockey, so take it for what it's worth :)

He's quite a bit off Brad Navin's pace of 52pts in 14 games, so maybe he's only 70% as good as Brad!? (who stunned me by scoring his first SHG since High School a couple weeks ago for the Atlanta Glads.) Bliss did have a goal and two assists in 5 games for USA select 17's earlier, so I think he's doing alright.

Bonin21
01-17-2016, 11:06 PM
You got a goalie commit Jack Berry. First in NAHL save percentage and second in shutouts having only played 16 games.

DPlaya
01-18-2016, 12:13 AM
You got a goalie commit Jack Berry. First in NAHL save percentage and second in shutouts having only played 16 games.

Decent sized kid at 6'2". Plays for New Jersey in the NAHL. This is his second NAHL season, you can see his numbers here (http://nahl.stats.pointstreak.com/playerpage.html?playerid=8007625&seasonid=14328).

He's from Michigan.

Timothy A
01-18-2016, 06:56 AM

I'm not sure what to make of this, all this numbers are not as good as Jurusik's were. I think it has to say a lot about Grunwald.

Wisko McBadgerton
01-18-2016, 08:20 AM
I'm not sure what to make of this, all this numbers are not as good as Jurusik's were. I think it has to say a lot about Grunwald.

I think it's hard to compare GAA and SV% exactly because teams vary so much. Jurusik did play on a record setting team in Janesville last year and his Cleveland U-18 team was really good too. For example Jurusik had 23 saves/game last year and Berry has 28.5/game this year in his 16 games played. (Berry has been out since Nov. 22nd with a lower body injury and is scheduled to return within a couple of weeks.) Seems likely that Berry has faced more quality chances per game than Jurusik did last year, so there's that...

Regardless, Berry has played for top programs all the way up (Little Caesar's, Victory Honda, Compuware) which is encouraging. Not sure what the status is going to be with scholarships next year in the goaltending department, but obviously one had to come in at the least.

Welcome aboard, Jack.

gwhinwi
01-18-2016, 11:34 AM
I've added Berry to the spreadsheet. Considering they normally wouldn't have 3 scholarship goalies, you do have to wonder what might be happening with Grunwald at this point.

Timothy A
01-20-2016, 12:47 PM
I think it's hard to compare GAA and SV% exactly because teams vary so much. Jurusik did play on a record setting team in Janesville last year and his Cleveland U-18 team was really good too. For example Jurusik had 23 saves/game last year and Berry has 28.5/game this year in his 16 games played. (Berry has been out since Nov. 22nd with a lower body injury and is scheduled to return within a couple of weeks.) Seems likely that Berry has faced more quality chances per game than Jurusik did last year, so there's that...

Regardless, Berry has played for top programs all the way up (Little Caesar's, Victory Honda, Compuware) which is encouraging. Not sure what the status is going to be with scholarships next year in the goaltending department, but obviously one had to come in at the least.

Welcome aboard, Jack.

It would have been nice to get a 2 year gap between the goalies so you allowed the understudy 2 years to develop behind a jr/sr and then play his jr/sr. years. This plan assumes the talent level is high and comparative between the 2 players.

I certainly want to see Jurusik and Berry continue the fine tradition of goaltending @ UW, though Sauer was better at goalie evaluation than Eaves is. Maybe Howie had something to do with that, who knows.

Wisko McBadgerton
01-22-2016, 04:46 PM
Draft Buzz lists Kunin as #19 overall in it's latest rankings.

Red Line lists Max Zimmer's stock as Rising accompanied by this:

Max Zimmer (Chicago) He flashes blazing, world-class speed and causes major problems for defenders nearly every time he hits the ice.

Timothy A
01-23-2016, 09:05 AM
Berry vs Jurusik...it could just be they think that Berry will be better....

Ice Bisquit
01-23-2016, 10:26 AM
I hope so. He seems like a good kid and, as much as we want (need) him to be great, Jurusik has been at best average over the course of the season.
Berry vs Jurusik...it could just be they think that Berry will be better....

Wisko McBadgerton
01-23-2016, 10:56 AM
I hope so. He seems like a good kid and, as much as we want (need) him to be great, Jurusik has been at best average over the course of the season.

I think Jurusik has all the chops to be a good goalie. He probably would have benefited greatly from another year of Juniors but obviously that wasn't possible. His biggest problem is just what they keep saying, that he shrinks back into the goal instead of challenging. Kloos' SHG is a great example if you rewatch it. He's almost under the cross bar when Kloos shoots. Other than that he's big, athletic, generally calm and has been really outstanding at times. If Berry is even on equal footing coming in, I think we'll be in decent shape going forward.

solovsfett
01-24-2016, 10:03 PM
Will zimmer play for Eaves?

Will Frederic still come to Madison?

Sorry for the negativity but this weekend was a total disgrace and you have to wonder if more kids may bolt

DPlaya
01-27-2016, 12:27 AM
It's not as juicy as it seems. He's got 14 pts in 25 games in his 2nd year in the USHL. And he's originally from Verona.

And no, the rodents can't have Zimmer. At this point he may be a one and done.

Don't look now Tim...Tarek Baker has 15 points (10 g, 5 a) in his last 9 games (with points in each one) dating back to December 30th and now has 29 points (15g, 14 a) in 35 games, good for 20th in points in the USHL.

Timothy A
01-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Don't look now Tim...Tarek Baker has 15 points (10 g, 5 a) in his last 9 games (with points in each one) dating back to December 30th and now has 29 points (15g, 14 a) in 35 games, good for 20th in points in the USHL.

When he gets to a point a game, give me a call. ;) Seriously, awesome, good for him (and UW).

I too wonder out-loud if UW will lose anyone once the axe falls. UW will probably lose some guys who will make re-tooling even harder, but it will a short term hit that will benefit the long term health of the program.

BadgerHockey9
01-28-2016, 09:50 AM
Looks like Carson Vance, a defenseman currently playing in the USHL for Dubuque has committed for next year. He currently has 2 goals and 4 assists with Dubuque this year.

gwhinwi
01-28-2016, 10:08 AM
Looks like Carson Vance, a defenseman currently playing in the USHL for Dubuque has committed for next year. He currently has 2 goals and 4 assists with Dubuque this year.

Interesting. haven't seen anything on Twitter (his account) or on the recruiting sites stating he committed. Where did you see the commitment?

BadgerHockey9
01-28-2016, 10:12 AM
Elite prospects website has him listed. Plus JB Bittiner follows him on Twitter;. Which I have noticed when he follows a prospect, they usually officially commit shortly after.

gwhinwi
01-28-2016, 10:14 AM
Elite prospects website has him listed. Plus JB Bittiner follows him on Twitter;. Which I have noticed when he follows a prospect, they usually officially commit shortly after.

I see the confirmation on the Saints site. I'll add him to the spreadsheet.

Bonin21
01-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Seriously how many teams are you going to field next year?

gwhinwi
01-28-2016, 01:57 PM
Seriously how many teams are you going to field next year?

It is geting nuts. There are 35 players committed to the team for next year at this point. Crazy stuff.