PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

gwhinwi
12-30-2015, 12:18 PM
Not based on the articles and sites that I was looking at today.

Also, it seems to fill the classes more accurately as well (still 21 or 22 forwards for the next two years either way.)

UWisco
12-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Not based on the articles and sites that I was looking at today.

Also, it seems to fill the classes more accurately as well (still 21 or 22 forwards for the next two years either way.)

I don't know if you used it, but collegehockeyinc.com is generally the most accurate.

gwhinwi
12-30-2015, 03:42 PM
I used that one along with some of Chuck's reporting, and other sites that were detailing the years that they were set to enroll.

I'll keep making changes though as I see different info.

DPlaya
12-30-2015, 11:51 PM
I'd be shocked if Max Zimmer wasn't coming in next year.

Have any of you from the Madison area seen Alec Semandel play lately? Any buzz on if UW might be interested? I see he is playing for the Capitols rather than the Mission this year.

bucky15
12-31-2015, 07:16 AM
Just did a bunch of cleanup for the recruiting chart today by trying to firm up when some players will be enrolling.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zjXN2fjYURxIheSmq9raNLdLnPawRfO1S63AG6PY0oE/edit#gid=0

Thanks for keeping track.

Out of the forwards next year, I think there are 4-6 players on the list that Eaves needs to have a tough chat with and let them know they are not part of the team anymore. 21/22 F's is way too many, I don't care how much "competition" is created in practice.

It won't surprise me if they go after another goalie that isn't a walk-on and part ways or move the back up to walk-on status. If Gabe G hasn't seen action yet with the current set up...he will most likely never see game action.

The main focus should be getting a big time D man to step in right away on a top pairing. Of course, that is easier said than done.

The top 6/9 F's for next year's team seems to be promising. Some exciting players.

DPlaya
01-08-2016, 07:32 AM
Thought it was interesting to read in this article (http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2016/1/7/baggot_0107163547.aspx) that Bittner recently was on a recruiting trip to Europe.

Timothy A
01-08-2016, 07:45 AM
Thought it was interesting to read in this article (http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2016/1/7/baggot_0107163547.aspx) that Bittner recently was on a recruiting trip to Europe.

It was. One would think there's enough talent in North America that UW could field a high quality team. Searching overseas is a tactic one would think a that a lesser school would use to try and get an edge over the big boys who dominate NA recruiting. Hopefully it pays some dividends nonetheless.

WiscDC
01-08-2016, 12:12 PM
It was. One would think there's enough talent in North America that UW could field a high quality team. Searching overseas is a tactic one would think a that a lesser school would use to try and get an edge over the big boys who dominate NA recruiting. Hopefully it pays some dividends nonetheless.

On the other hand, it would also be fair to say that lesser schools may be less likely to be able to lure talented Europeans to NCAA hockey. When I think of Europeans in NCAA hockey, the only name that really sticks out in my mind is Carl Hagelin. That's not shabby. (I know it's just one player - I'm not dropping the hammer with some big, riveting point here. More potential talented recruits is probably better.)

I imagine he played a role in signing Martin Sundberg (Sweden) and Jere Astren (Finland).

solovsfett
01-08-2016, 12:16 PM
On the other hand, it would also be fair to say that lesser schools may be less likely to be able to lure talented Europeans to NCAA hockey. When I think of Europeans in NCAA hockey, the only name that really sticks out in my mind is Carl Hagelin. That's not shabby. (I know it's just one player - I'm not dropping the hammer with some big, riveting point here. More potential talented recruits is probably better.)

I imagine he played a role in signing Martin Sundberg (Sweden) and Jere Astren (Finland).

Niki Siren and Yuri Gusak😀

Timothy A
01-08-2016, 05:09 PM

Good point.

Wisko McBadgerton
01-09-2016, 03:58 PM
I'd be shocked if Max Zimmer wasn't coming in next year.

Yeah, Zimmer projects as a 2nd - 3rd round pick this summer and he already turned 18 in October. How many guys going that high are going to be 20 year old freshman?

Also he'll be playing in USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game on Tuesday in Omaha.

Timothy A
01-13-2016, 07:11 AM
So I was checking over the roster for the 2016 Jr. Olympics for any WI recruits and I see a D from Eau Claire on the team, Emberson. That's darn impressive, being one of the 6 best D in the country born in 2000. It seems to me he has to be a must get for UW with that kind of talent and being WI born and bred. I cannot find anywhere on the interweb that says he's committed to a college yet. With this Olympic thing on his resume, he could be the best WI D prospect since maybe Suter?

Wisko McBadgerton
01-13-2016, 08:34 AM
So I was checking over the roster for the 2016 Jr. Olympics for any WI recruits and I see a D from Eau Claire on the team, Emberson. That's darn impressive, being one of the 6 best D in the country born in 2000. It seems to me he has to be a must get for UW with that kind of talent and being WI born and bred. I cannot find anywhere on the interweb that says he's committed to a college yet. With this Olympic thing on his resume, he could be the best WI D prospect since maybe Suter?

Maybe since Jake McCabe. (Who has said publicly and privately that he would very much encourage Emberson to attend UW.) Although as far as a pro prospect goes I suppose it could turn out that Parsells is very good. MN will be all over him as will a number of other schools. Incidentally, he has been cleared by the WIAA to return to the Old Abes late for the State tournament. (Provided, of course, he dresses properly and refrains from inappropriate chants like Sieve! Sieve! Sieve!) TJK posted the petition link earlier, I believe.

Timothy A
01-13-2016, 01:28 PM
Maybe since Jake McCabe. (Who has said publicly and privately that he would very much encourage Emberson to attend UW.) Although as far as a pro prospect goes I suppose it could turn out that Parsells is very good. MN will be all over him as will a number of other schools. Incidentally, he has been cleared by the WIAA to return to the Old Abes late for the State tournament. (Provided, of course, he dresses properly and refrains from inappropriate chants like Sieve! Sieve! Sieve!) TJK posted the petition link earlier, I believe.

I was thinking he's better than McCabe, unless McCabe turns out to be an Olympic team member like Suter.

bucky15
01-13-2016, 02:20 PM
I was thinking he's better than McCabe, unless McCabe turns out to be an Olympic team member like Suter.

The kid is 16. Be patient, before making comparisons like that.

Wisko McBadgerton
01-13-2016, 03:28 PM

McCabe isn't exactly chopped liver. U-17 World Champion; U-18 World Champion; Captain, World Junior Champions; 1st team All Big 10; 1st team NCAA All American; Member of Team USA at 2014 Men's World Championships; NHL debut at 21. He's been an ok player so far...

Timothy A
01-13-2016, 04:25 PM
The kid is 16. Be patient, before making comparisons like that.

He's an All American one and done drafted by the Rangers in the first round, playing with McD on a regular shift as a rookie. I won't project further than that. :)

ExileOnDaytonStreet
01-14-2016, 11:49 PM

When I think of euros in NCAA hockey, I think of Bernd Bruckler and Thomas Vanek. But that's because I'm old.

Wisko McBadgerton
01-15-2016, 08:19 AM
Here's a list of recruits and points so far this year:

Trent Frederick (F) 14g 11a 31gp (41 PIM) USA U18

Jack Becker (F) 4g 7a 31gp Sioux Falls Stampede

Dan Lobosky (F) 4g 12a 24gp Tri City Storm

Martin Sundberg (F) 9g 7a 24gp (58 PIM) Janesville Jets

Max Zimmer (F) 4g 11a 29gp Chicago Steel

Tarek Baker (F) 12g 9a 30gp Bloomington Thunder

Adam Parsells (D) 3g 4a 29gp Chicago Steel

Jere Astren (D) 1g 2a 29gp Chicago Steel/ Fargo Force

Matt Berkowitz (D) 2g 7a 32gp Green Bay Gamblers

Tony Stillwell (D) 1g 4a 27gp Waterloo Blackhawks

Dominick Mersch (F) 3g 4a 35 gp (48 PIM) Lincoln Stars

Tyler Inamoto (D) 0g 2a 8gp USA U17 (injured)

Grant Cruikshank (F) 20g 20a 32gp Milwaukee Jr Admirals

Mick Messner (F) 9g 8a 15gp Madison Caps U18 / 0g 1a 15gp Caps USHL

Trenton Bliss (F) 27g 28a 23gp Appleton United WI HS

Joey Abate (F) 14g 7a 18gp Chicago Mission

Brady Smith (D) 4g 4a 18gp Chicago Mission

A couple things I note. 6'4" Swede, Martin Sundberg has 58 PIM in 24 games. Tyler Inamoto hasn't played since October 11th, out with a lower body injury. Cruikshank's numbers are nicely balanced. Is Trenton Bliss' 55pts in 23 games good? Trent Frederick is tied for 3rd in goals on team USA and 5th in points. (Clayton Keller is working on double lapping the team with 63 pts.) After a very long, very slow stretch, Matt Berkovitz has 4pts in his last 5 games.

Innova
01-15-2016, 09:14 AM
Is Trenton Bliss' 55pts in 23 games good?

We have played Appleton United twice this year. I did not see the games, but from what others have said he definitely stands out in games. Of course it is Wisconsin High School hockey, so take it for what it's worth :)