Brown Hockey 2015-16: (s)Lappin' around the competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Hockey 2015-16: (s)Lappin' around the competition

Everyone seems ready for a new thread (perhaps as a means to cleanse our minds from the trauma experienced in 2014-15), but we were in the middle of a discussion, so I'll pick it up where we left off:

Was Russell's concussion severe? If so, I would temper expectations for him this season. Many players never see the ice again after sustaining one; examples are Chris Pronger and Marc Savard, both of whom were excellent players in their primes. I read an article a year ago or so in which Pronger indicated he still often wakes up and doesn't know where he is. It's tragic.

If Braedan sat out more for precautionary reasons, then his BCHL stats would indicate he should be a solid contributor going forward. Whittet loves big power forwards who can by physically imposing but also generate offense - Hathaway and Pryzbek come to mind - so I'm sure an effort will be made to get him into the lineup on most nights, assuming he's recovered fully.

By the way, other titles I considered for this thread were:
    "Eyes on the Pryzbek"
    "The Importance of Being Ernst"
    "Brandon and the DePFEILers"

And though he's long-gone (a fact for which we continually give thanks to the Hockey Gods), I also thought of "Grillo-ing Up Some Wins"

If any of these are preferable by a consensus, or if someone has another great Brown-related pun that we collectively deem to be more amusing, I can just make a new thread.

Re: Brown Hockey 2015-16: (s)Lappin' around the competition

Oh, and another thing: I'm thinking about possibly reviving the good ol' blog this season, if there's any interest from the Brown community. However, I'd like to revamp the format a bit, as I felt my weekly commentary had gotten a bit stale by the end, and that any potential future for the blog should include some varied content.

After some quick brainstorming, I identified a few other areas I could potentially focus on, or at least occasionally address:

-Stats and analysis: Hockey at all levels is being increasingly quantified by the use of metrics and advanced stats. While these figures are still somewhat limited at the college level, I did notice toward the end of last season that College Hockey News had started to measure shot attempts for and against, which is a basic indicator of possession and the jumping-off point for most of the advanced stats community. If there is any such information available - I'm not even remotely competent at math, so there's no chance I'll be doing any calculating myself - I'll try to incorporate it into the blog as a supplemental method of analyzing games.

-Recruiting info: Others have occasionally chimed in on this forum about prospects during the season, but it would be nice to consolidate all of this information into one place. I could do some periodical reports on commits and any rumored recruits.

-Alumni reports: We actually have a fair number of former players plying their trade in the pros, and, similar to the recruiting posts, it would be nice to keep an organized log of their activities. Ryan Garbutt has become a key player for the Dallas Stars, while Bobby Farnham saw some playing time with Pittsburgh this year. Dennis Robertson is in the Carolina Hurricanes' system; I believe he was back-and-forth with the ECHL and AHL teams. Matt Lorito tore it up for the Albany Devils this year after the conclusion of Brown's season. Harry Z continues to toil around the AHL, and I believe Volpatti bounced around between Washington and Hershey this year. Mike Clemente and Anthony Borelli are playing at some level - probably ECHL - and Yann Danis, of course, shares the starting goaltending duties for the Hartford Wolf Pack with Rangers' prospect Mackenzie Skapski. I'm not sure if Scott Ford, Jeff Buvinow, or anyone else is still playing, but some quick digging should resolve those uncertainties.

-Around the ECAC: I used to do a quick preview of Brown's opponents each week, but this could be easily expanded to a weekly conference roundup. This way, it's easier to keep track of the other teams and their star players on a consistent basis, and not just the weekend before they come to Meehan.

-Other Brown athletics: The focus of the blog is obviously hockey, but there's no reason we shouldn't tip our caps to the other teams! A quick, probably weekly, recap of some of Brown's many athletic programs could be useful for fans and alums who follow the men's hockey team exclusively. The women's hockey team would probably receive the most attention in these posts.

Also, I might move the platform from Blogger over to Wordpress, which is more user-friendly and professional-looking. And I'll be thinking about possibly renaming the blog - I'm not all that fond of Meehan Madness anymore.

This is probably a lot to digest, but if you have interest in these topics and would like to see the blog up-and-running again, I'd appreciate your feedback! I'm not keen on just writing a blog for the heck of it if no one is ever going to read.
    Last edited by kdiff77; 06-05-2015, 10:45 AM. Reason: 1: Forgot about Matt Lorito! 2. Formatting - way too congested without appropriate spacing.

Comment

Good title. Please, no references to Roger.

Blog is a great idea. Key is to get more info out on what is going on. Brown Hockey Facebook has some info but not much.

On additional players, Scott Ford is playing great for the South Carolina team in the ECHL, which is in the final, after leaving the AHL. If he leaves pro hockey, he could be a good addition down the road to the Brown coaching staff if openings come up.

Matt Lorito told me Borelli is playing in Italy and don't forget Hathaway who had a great season in the AHL and signed contract with Calgary.

Comment

Came across this article on Bobby Farnham. Interesting with comments about the Brown degree.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/bobb...guins-longform

Comment

2015-2016 Brown Men’s Ice Hockey Schedule

Saturday, October 24 PRINCETON (Scrimmage) 2:00 p.m.
          Saturday, October 31 HOLY CROSS 7:30 p.m.
          Friday, November 6 at Dartmouth 7:00 p.m.
          Saturday, November 7 at Harvard 7:00 p.m.
          Friday, November 13 at Union 7:00 p.m.
          Saturday, November 14 at Rensselaer 7:00 p.m.
          Friday, November 20 COLGATE 7:00 p.m.
          Saturday, November 21 CORNELL 7:00 p.m.
          Friday, November 27 Belpot Cup - Brown vs. Colgate (ECAC League Game) 4:00 p.m.
          Saturday, November 28 at Festival of Ice Hockey Tournament, Odyssey Arena, Belfast, Northern Ireland TBD
          Friday, December 4 PRINCETON 7:00 p.m.
          Saturday, December 5 QUINNIPIAC 4:00 p.m.
          Thursday, December 10 at Providence College (30th Mayor’s Cup) 7:00 p.m.
          Tuesday, December 29 Brown, Colgate, Lake Superior State, Vermont TBA
          Wednesday, December 30 at Sheraton/TD Bank Catamount Cup Tourney TBA
          Sunday, January 3 PROVIDENCE (30th Mayor’s Cup) 7:00 p.m.
          Friday, January 15 at Yale 7:00 p.m.
          Saturday, January 16 YALE 7:00 p.m.
          Friday, January 22 at St. Lawrence 7:00 p.m.
          Saturday, January 23 at Clarkson 7:00 p.m.
          Friday, January 29 RENSSELAER 7:00 p.m.
          Saturday, January 30 UNION 7:00 p.m.
          Tuesday, February 2 at UConn 7:00 p.m.
          Friday, February 5 HARVARD 7:00 p.m.
          Saturday, February 6 DARTMOUTH 7:00 p.m.
          Friday, February 12 at Cornell 7:00 p.m.
          Friday, February 19 CLARKSON 7:00 p.m.
          Saturday, February 20 ST. LAWRENCE 7:00 p.m.
          Friday, February 26 at Quinnipiac 7:00 p.m.
          Saturday, February 27 at Princeton 7:00 p.m.

Friday, March 4 ECAC
          Saturday, March 5 Ice
          Sunday, March 6 Hockey
          Friday, March 11 Championship
          Saturday, March 12 Tournament
          Sunday, March 13 Herb Brooks
          Friday, March 18 Arena
          Saturday, March 19 Lake Placid, NY
          Friday, March 24 NCAA Ice Hockey
          Saturday, March 25 Championship Tournament
          Sunday, March 26 Albany, NY / St. Paul, MN /Cincinnati,OH/ Worcester, MA
          Thursday, April 7 Tampa Bay Times Forum
          Saturday, April 9 Tampa, FL
          LET'S GO BRUNO!

Comment

For those who prefer a web link to the schedule:

http://www.brownbears.com/sports/m-h...15-16/schedule

Comment

Former Brown coach Mike Souza moving on:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...mike-cavanaugh

Comment

Euler - NCAA decision re Harvard players - http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015...al-ncaa-denied - appears consistent with your prior comments about red-shirting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                  Euler - NCAA decision re Harvard players - http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015...al-ncaa-denied - appears consistent with your prior comments about red-shirting.
                  On a selfish note - this is great news insofar that we won't have to face these players in 2015-16. I was getting really tired of Michalek!

Comment

Any Brown players going to a NHL team prospect development camp this summer?

Comment

Any Brown players going to a NHL team prospect development camp this summer?
                      @MarkDivver: Brown's Tyler Wood bound for @NHLDevils camp.

@MarkDivver: .@BrownMensHockey captain Mark Naclerio going to development camp with @NYRangers next month.

@MarkDivver: Brown's draft picks, Tyler Bird (@BlueJacketsNHL ), Max Willman (@BuffaloSabres) & Sam Lafferty (@penguins) , bound for NHL camps, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Brownfan14 View Post
                        @MarkDivver: Brown's Tyler Wood bound for @NHLDevils camp.

@MarkDivver: .@BrownMensHockey captain Mark Naclerio going to development camp with @NYRangers next month.

@MarkDivver: Brown's draft picks, Tyler Bird (@BlueJacketsNHL ), Max Willman (@BuffaloSabres) & Sam Lafferty (@penguins) , bound for NHL camps, too.
                        Not bad for Bruno. As for Tyler, hopefully this experience will help him take the next step to become a Robertson type D-man. Mark will benefit as well and his appearance can lead to something with the Rangers at the end of the season. RPI's Ryan Haggerty used his opportunity to sign with Hartford and Mark has similar ability to Haggerty.

Not intended as a snide comment - what are our goalies doing for the summer?

Comment

Summering, I believe.

Comment

Praying for better defensive play in front of them.

Comment

BELFAST FRIENDSHIP TOUR -- BROWN, COLGATE, LOWELL, NORTHEASTERN -- November 2015

I would like to encourage supporters of Brown hockey to attend the inaugural "Belpot" Hockey Tournament, to take place at the Odyssey Arena in Belfast (Northern Ireland) in late November.

Brown opens against Colgate at 4:00pm on Friday, November 27. The game will count in the ECAC standings. Lowell plays Northeastern at 7:30pm. Consolation and Championship games are scheduled for Saturday, November 28 at 4:00pm and 7:30pm respectively.

It's unclear at this point whether the Brown Sports Foundation will organize any hospitality events. I hope they do, but if not, others are prepared to take the initiative, unofficially and on their own.

I understand that Geoff Middleton (Davey's father) is coordinating the parents' arrangements.

Aer Lingus has reasonably-priced non-stop flights from Boston to Dublin (less than six hours). From the Dublin Airport it's about two hours by coach (bus) to Belfast. In Belfast, I recommend the centrally located Jury's Hotel. For those who plan to spend time in Dublin, I strongly recommend the Wynn's Hotel, which is just off O'Connell Street, a block a way from the Liffey, and a less-than-ten-minute walk to Temple Bar.

Comment

Working...
                              X