PDA

View Full Version : A call for Rutgers hockey

Pages : [1] 2

slowe
05-31-2015, 02:39 PM
The Rutgers ACHA club and alumni are making a pitch to make the jump to NCAA hockey.

https://www.change.org/p/rutgers-athletics-make-ncaa-ice-hockey-a-reality-at-rutgers-university

It's a call for attention but no actual info regarding financial or institutional support. Still nice to see the effort though.

Spartanforlife4
05-31-2015, 03:21 PM
Isn't/wasn't Rutgers in one of the worst financial situations for an athletic department in the country?

Patman
05-31-2015, 06:34 PM
Isn't/wasn't Rutgers in one of the worst financial situations for an athletic department in the country?

Yes, but they lead the nation in irrational ambition

2S0L0U2
06-01-2015, 01:14 PM
As someone who grew up in Central NJ and had a lot of friends who went to Rutgers, it'd be a great place for college hockey to build a greater presence.

That said, Rutgers' AD is a toxic leader, the athletic finances are a total mess, and there is no arena suitable for Division I hockey in New Brunswick or anywhere else nearby. They'd need a Pegula-esque gift for it to happen.

Also notable is that the "petition" is being put together by the club team's assistant coach - who'd likely be quickly shown the door, along with all of the other staff, if they ever did start a Division I program.

slowe
06-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Some good articles summarizing the attempted grass roots movement. Obviously a fan desire won't do it alone. These days it takes rich donors with money to burn. But what makes a donor do it? Can a grass roots movement attract a donor? Having passionate fans is a key to ongoing success which is at least something a donor would have to consider...

So waste of time or good ideas to hopefully increase the odds of donations? If you were implementing a grass roots campaign what steps would you take?

I'm seriously considering checking out the cost of a billboard on I-90 and making a plea for adding Illinois hockey. Maybe the Chicago Tribune picks it up?

http://www.uscho.com/from-the-press-box/2015/06/03/why-an-online-petition-could-be-key-to-rutgers-hope-for-a-varsity-hockey-program/

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/6/4/8725287/rutgers-hockey-division-1-ncaa-program-scarlet-knights

JohnsonsJerseys
06-04-2015, 06:49 PM
The Rutgers ACHA club and alumni are making a pitch to make the jump to NCAA hockey. Is that Bi6 conference really that desperate to add another team? On a list of schools likely to create a new D-I hockey program in the near future, I don't think they are even in the top 100.
Ryan J

ericredaxe
06-04-2015, 07:28 PM

Indeed, they cut several programs a few years back, some that were deep in history and with a tradition of excellence.

Spartanforlife4
06-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Indeed, they cut several programs a few years back, some that were deep in history and with a tradition of excellence.

Tradition of excellence... at Rutgers? I thought all they had was the first football game and that one good year of women's bball that got tarnished by Imus.

ericredaxe
06-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Tradition of excellence... at Rutgers? I thought all they had was the first football game and that one good year of women's bball that got tarnished by Imus.

150+ years of rowing. The first organized sport at the university. Medals at several collegiate championship regattas over the years, and a long list of Olympian alumni.

So excellence in the relative sense anyway.

Reduced to club status in 2007.

WeAreNDHockey
06-04-2015, 10:26 PM
I'm seriously considering checking out the cost of a billboard on I-90 and making a plea for adding Illinois hockey. Maybe the Chicago Tribune picks it up?

A billboard of the size required to be effective on a high speed highway in South Bend might coast as much as $5000 for 30 days, depending on the attractiveness of the location for the advertising. In Chicago the cost would be significantly higher for a similar reach. I spent years in the industry.

el_norte
06-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Would love to see Rutgers in B1G hockey someday. In my opinion a B1G hockey conference composed of North Dakota (hockey affiliate only) Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers and Connecticut would be the best situatuon for the B1G.

slowe
06-08-2015, 12:01 AM
Here's an interview with one of the people spearheading the movement, Adriaan Klaasen, assistant coach for their ACHA D1 team. He sounds more hopeful than naive. The tone is it's an uphill task but it has to start somewhere. Obviously still long odds but you gotta give the guy credit for the effort.

http://www.onthebanks.com/2015/6/7/8716903/rutgers-athletics-now-about-that-hockey-team

tape
06-08-2015, 07:50 AM
In my opinion a B1G hockey conference composed of North Dakota (hockey affiliate only) Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers and Connecticut would be the best situatuon for the B1G.

huh?

Spartanforlife4
06-08-2015, 11:27 AM
Would love to see Rutgers in B1G hockey someday. In my opinion a B1G hockey conference composed of North Dakota (hockey affiliate only) Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers and Connecticut would be the best situatuon for the B1G.

Better idea. Kick out Rutgers, get Syracuse, Syracuse starts a team.

UConn and Rutgers can go find their own conference.

Sean Pickett
06-08-2015, 11:34 AM

UConn and Rutgers can go find their own conference.UConn already has a conference.

Sean

slowe
06-12-2015, 12:10 PM
Say what you will about the likelihood of the club team promoting itself to become D1, but these guys are getting the word out. The devils tweeted support and I saw a link to a news article from the (unofficial) Big Ten Hockey Facebook page

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2015/06/division_1_ice_hockey_at_rutgers_alumni_are_on_a_m .html#incart_river

So there's at least one donor interested. Not sure how much money he'd put up. The point is I've seen the story pop up in a few places. Not a groundswell yet but all attention is good attention.

ScottK
06-13-2015, 12:28 PM
Say what you will about the likelihood of the club team promoting itself to become D1, but these guys are getting the word out. The devils tweeted support and I saw a link to a news article from the (unofficial) Big Ten Hockey Facebook page

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2015/06/division_1_ice_hockey_at_rutgers_alumni_are_on_a_m .html#incart_river

So there's at least one donor interested. Not sure how much money he'd put up. The point is I've seen the story pop up in a few places. Not a groundswell yet but all attention is good attention.

Got the attention of The Hockey News too: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rutgers-would-be-a-great-fit-for-big-ten-college-hockey/

UMICH
06-14-2015, 07:04 PM

UConn and Rutgers can go find their own conference.

What is it with sparty that they want Rutgers kicked-out of the B1G TEN? Every single sparty that I know who has mentioned Rutgers wants them out of the conference. Why? And you only want Syracause because of bouncy-ball....

Snively65
08-12-2015, 07:49 PM
UConn already has a conference.

Sean

Not only that, but word on the street is that they will be a top four team in HEA for the foreseeable future.

FDNY99
08-12-2015, 10:15 PM
Not only that, but word on the street is that they will be a top four team in HEA for the foreseeable future.

Really...I thought Chuck said UCONN will be a perennial cellar dweller with UMASS Amherst! If you want to respond check out the 2015-2016 UCONN thread...nobody but UNH fans go to the 2014-2015 thread.