Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2015 Offseason Thread-To quote The Clash - Should he stay or should he go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2015 Offseason Thread-To quote The Clash - Should he stay or should he go?

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    Sooooo Grzelcyk played with an injured ACL for the final eight games of the season, had offseason surgery, may very well miss a month or two of the season.
    I saw him Friday night at that charity game. Was walking without the brace. He said he's doing great. Hoping he won't miss all that much time.

Comment

• Re: BU 2015 Offseason Thread-To quote The Clash - Should he stay or should he go?

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      I saw him Friday night at that charity game. Was walking without the brace. He said he's doing great. Hoping he won't miss all that much time.
      Good news on Grzelcyk, who certainly can be called BU's top returning player. As for McAvoy, who impressed during last season's exhibition game vs. BU, he led the U18s D-men in scoring and was on the top power play unit with Chad Krys. With ERod gone and Grzelcyk rehabbing, McAvoy is certainly is going to get a chance to play on BU's second power play unit when the season begins. At least four early rankings of 2016 NHL draft list him as a potential first rounder. This one, from Scout.ca's Sean Lafortune, includes a detailed profile. (Underline is mine)

11. Charles McAvoy - RD - US NTDP (USHL) - 12/21/97 - 6.00 - 205

Background
      New Jersey based defender who set offensive records in the MJHL...a graduate of the New Jersey Rockets program and 6th round draft pick of the Kitchener Rangers...named to the US NTDP in 2013..has represented his country on multiple occasions, winning Gold Medals at the 2013 World U17 Challenge and 2014 World U18 Championships...committed to Boston University for 2015

Scouting

Midsized mobile rearguard with deceptive skill and mobility...assertive, take-charge type, light and dexterous with impressive agility, co-ordination and first-step quickness...quick in all four directions, moves well laterally, effortless crossovers, is able to slide over and control gaps...makes intelligent reads on both sides of the puck .. smooth puck-mover , adds a calming influence as he stays composed under fire...adept at jumping into the play and supporting, picks smarts times to jump into the attack and can open playmaking lanes for himself at full speed...surprises with his passing and stickhandling prowess, aided by a wide wingspan...more assertive as a puckmover yet does gets caught in possession overhandling the puck, must strive to make quicker and better decisions...slowly refining his game-reading abilities, but still prone to weak positioning and threat assessment...competes and doesn’t play afraid, although is not a physical banger, prefers to play ‘prevent and contain’ as a defender...steadily developing his overall defensive structure and learning to exploit his size advantage .. not overly mean, but added bulk and muscle has prompted more physical play...can be smothering 1-on-1, but also gets impatient and over pursues, needs to refine his decision making and guard against letdowns...tends to get too busy defending down low at times and could exhibit more patience in allowing the play to come to him.

Analysis
      Last year was a strong one for NCAA based defenders, especially those with strong offensive aptitudes. While it may not be fair to project McAvoy in the top 5/10 of this year’s draft (its early), there is enough evidence to suggest that he could get there if he makes an immediate impact in Boston University. A polished defender with great feet and good offensive instincts, McAvoy intrigues given that he's been incredibly successful at every level he's played. Be it in New Jersey or at the US-NTDP, he's always risen to the occasion and developed accordingly. At 15 he wasn't nearly polished, it took Oakville defender Troy Henley withdrawing from the US-NTDP for him to even get a camp invite, but in the last two years his abilities have taken the next step, to the point that he's one of the top 15/20 options for the 2016 NHL Draft. The question for him will he see the same growth in his NHL Draft year in Boston University. He'll have opportunities, Boston's defence have defenders with well-rounded talent but outside of Team Captain and Boston Bruin prospect Matt Grzelcyk, there may not be a defender who can add the type of dynamic offensive abilities that McAvoy can, so it’s not unfair to suggest that he'll his fair share of ice time, especially on the powerplay. He'll need a bit of time and support, but the tools and year over year growth are exciting.
      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

So here's a stupid question. The ESPY's are tonight. Jack Eichel is nominated. Will he be there? Is development camp over? I would assume they tell the winners before the show, but I could be wrong. If they don't, I think he should be there but I love award shows. I was just curious if he could get out of whatever he's doing with the Sabres to go, unless he's done with all that this week.

I did say it was a stupid question. Don't judge!!

Comment

So here's a stupid question. The ESPY's are tonight. Jack Eichel is nominated. Will he be there? Is development camp over? I would assume they tell the winners before the show, but I could be wrong. If they don't, I think he should be there but I love award shows. I was just curious if he could get out of whatever he's doing with the Sabres to go, unless he's done with all that this week.

I did say it was a stupid question. Don't judge!!
          Sabres development camp ended on Sunday (you should follow the Sabres on Twitter, Scarlet - tons of stuff to get your Eichel-fix). Eichel perfomed well, though it was Rodrigues' team that won the 3-on-3 tournament. Eichel didn't have points in the Prospects game Friday night (over 17,000 fans attended - they are giddy with excitement for the future), but had some nice moves. There is footage of him putting a puck through the net at one of the events, though it was a fluke (not even a slapshot).

It would be very cool for him to win an ESPY. We know who Buccigross wants to win....
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
            Sabres development camp ended on Sunday (you should follow the Sabres on Twitter, Scarlet - tons of stuff to get your Eichel-fix). Eichel perfomed well, though it was Rodrigues' team that won the 3-on-3 tournament. Eichel didn't have points in the Prospects game Friday night (over 17,000 fans attended - they are giddy with excitement for the future), but had some nice moves. There is footage of him putting a puck through the net at one of the events, though it was a fluke (not even a slapshot).

It would be very cool for him to win an ESPY. We know who Buccigross wants to win....
            Don't know if Eichel will be in LA as a couple of reports said he was tired due to all the travel (combine, Stanley Cup tour, etc.) during the past month--after returning from the World Championships. He's already told USA Hockey that he's skipping WJC evaluation camp in August. There's some video from Sabres development camp and some player evaluations (including one on E-Rod) posted on the Blog.

Based on his comments last night on The Pipeline Show, the likelihood that Sean MacTavish is part of the freshman class seems slim. If that's the case, the roster for next season is at 27 (3G, 8D, 16F).

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
              Don't know if Eichel will be in LA as a couple of reports said he was tired due to all the travel (combine, Stanley Cup tour, etc.) during the past month--after returning from the World Championships. He's already told USA Hockey that he's skipping WJC evaluation camp in August. There's some video from Sabres development camp and some player evaluations (including one on E-Rod) posted on the Blog.

Based on his comments last night on The Pipeline Show, the likelihood that Sean MacTavish is part of the freshman class seems slim. If that's the case, the roster for next season is at 27 (3G, 8D, 16F).
              Would that mean that MacTavish will be going elsewhere? Or postpone to 2017?

Comment

Would that mean that MacTavish will be going elsewhere? Or postpone to 2017?
                Pipeline Show link: The MacTavish interview starts at the 4 minute mark.
                https://soundcloud.com/pipeline-show...tavish3-july14

Comment

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post

More interestingly is that Baillargeon and Somerby could declare they are leaving BU after the season and become a free agent on June 1 (pulling a Mike Reilly) and be available on the market over a month before the unsigned NHL players become free agents, depending on how this season goes Somerby could generate a fair amount of interest on that market.
                  How would they be able to do that given that they were both drafted? Is it because they were drafted before their USHL year?

Comment

Great to hear. I have difficulty believing it was a full ACL tear that occurred with eight games to go in the season, as the article had stated. I've never heard of a single athlete with an ACL tear being able to walk without crutches, much less skate or compete. Torn ACLs are usually game over for competing, I can't fathom how a doctor would allow him to lace up with that.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

not questioning the severity of the injury at all (i saw people who aren't freaks like adrian peterson go through PT for that and it's absolutely brutal) but didn't some patriots* o lineman play on a torn acl a couple of years ago?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhmtUAac4nM

Great shot of O'Neill's game-winning goal last week.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                          Pipeline Show link: The MacTavish interview starts at the 4 minute mark.
                          https://soundcloud.com/pipeline-show...tavish3-july14
                          Thanks. Definitely a little awkward. Appears Sean has been told that he isn't likely to see much ice time, given his progression relative to the rest of the incoming freshmen, so he wants to find another school. He did a nice job not putting blame on BU for the situation.

Comment

Thanks. Definitely a little awkward. Appears Sean has been told that he isn't likely to see much ice time, given his progression relative to the rest of the incoming freshmen, so he wants to find another school. He did a nice job not putting blame on BU for the situation.
                            It will be interesting to see where he ends up. I would imagine most teams are pretty much set at this late date. He's a '94 so I don't believe another year of juniors is an option.

Comment

Couple of stories on Maguire at Penguins development camp:

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice...#axzz3fzGcnFuJ
                              http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.co...n-action/24483

But he could play his way into prospect status, which is why Tuesday was important. Maguire said pushing laterally was the hardest thing to do, followed closely by reading the releases on pucks.

“That came back a lot quicker than I thought it would,” Maguire said.

It’s only one practice, one day in a long road back. But for Maguire, it was significant.

“I think in the next two months everyone is going to forget about this past year,” Maguire said. “We’re just going to focus on next year. That’s my plan. I want to be the best I can for next year.
                              From CSNE’s Joe Haggarty on Bruins’ development camp:
                              Saw some of the athleticism, skill, hands and coordination for Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson on display during the tip drills in the forward session. He seemed to have the most ease redirecting point shots into the net with textbook tips while so many of his fellow forwards seemed to really have trouble with the very fundamental skill. Some of it may have just been fatigue, but some of the B’s prospects need to work on standing in front of the net and tipping pucks. It’s easy for me to say, of course, but still very true all the same.
                              Last edited by Rogie21; 07-16-2015, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Appears Sean has been told that he isn't likely to see much ice time, given his progression relative to the rest of the incoming freshmen, so he wants to find another school.
                                Tsk, tsk. Agganis certainly won't be happy about this. Shame on Quinn will be his angle (oh wait, probably not).

Comment

Working...
                                X